Looking for a HD rear sway bar (Scorpion?) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 27th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Daringer
Darin Gardner
1997 D90 SW

Looking for a HD rear sway bar (Scorpion?)

Does anyone know where I might buy a heavy duty rear sway bar for my 90? I know that Scorprion used to make one but it looks like they are out of business?

Hopeful that one of their US vendors still has one collecting dust in inventory?

Is there another company making a HD rear bar?

Thanks for any leads or ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 27th, 2009, 08:10 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Tell us a little more about your truck. What are you trying to accomplish? Have you made a significant amount of changes to the suspension?

Old December 27th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Daringer
Darin Gardner
1997 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90
Tell us a little more about your truck. What are you trying to accomplish? Have you made a significant amount of changes to the suspension?
Starting with all stock 90 SW, replacing shocks, springs and bushings. Goal is to reduce as much body roll as possible and stiffen up the ride. Sadly, I do not get as much time in the dirt as I used to so the target is a more responsive suspension and tuning for spirited urban driving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 28th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
HD Stock springs and Bilstein shocks, add firm polybushing and you'll be as responsive as humanly possible for Urban Cruising
Old December 28th, 2009, 01:10 AM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
i could think of a pretty good idea for a HD sway bar. hmmm
Old December 28th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Daringer
Darin Gardner
1997 D90 SW

Thanks for the input. I want to take the tuning to the next level and try to find the Scorpion bar or its equivalent based on some great reviews of members that have installed them.

I was hoping that some members who have purchased a HD Scorpion sway bar in the past could offer who they sourced them through as it looks like distribution of the product has discontinued in the US? Anyone have any ideas? I have hit the Google searches pretty hard and not getting anywhere...

Thanks Carter for your interest in building one. Happy to talk to you about that. If you like you can PM me your ideas, price and lead time for one?
Old December 28th, 2009, 03:48 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

Just checked our inventory and we don't have the HD swaybars, we do have a set of swaybar mount extensions.... sorry.
Old January 27th, 2010, 11:53 AM
DonFromWhitby
Don Andrews
'94 NAS D90 #CDN-80, 2011 LR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daringer View Post
Does anyone know where I might buy a heavy duty rear sway bar for my 90? I know that Scorprion used to make one but it looks like they are out of business?

Hopeful that one of their US vendors still has one collecting dust in inventory?

Is there another company making a HD rear bar?

Thanks for any leads or ideas.

Yup, Scorpion went bye bye about a year and a half ago, and new owners don't answer the phone.

As an aside, what are you trying to accomplish? Is it mushy now? May just need new bushings?
Old January 27th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Kev Baldwin
Kevin Baldwin
2.4 Tdci 110 Utilty Wagon

Scorpion has resurfaced (yet again!), except this time as Extreme 4x4. http://www.extreme4x4ltd.co.uk/acata..._BAR_KITS.html
Old January 29th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Epsom_D2
Sean-Paul Ferrera
1994 D90 POE

Registry
I would agree that your stock bushings are probably shot in the existing sway bar. When I pulled my bar off the bushings just crumbled.

As previously stated get some polybushes, HD springs and blingsteins or other stiffer shock and go about your mall crawling. It'll be the most cost effective solution for sure as most of those parts, if stock, are probably quite worn out.

S-P
Old January 29th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Daringer
Darin Gardner
1997 D90 SW

I am planning a suspension upgrade, shocks, springs and bushings. The thought was while everything was apart to take advantage and install a better rear sway bar. Naturally, I will need this to navigate the urban jungle

Hey Kevin, thanks for the link to Extreme 4x4.
Old January 29th, 2010, 02:25 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Indeed as mentioned, $crapIron have re-invented themselves again. still a ghastly shade of orange though.

I had one of their HD rear sway bars on my 110 a while back... it sheared one of the balljoints in half when i went off road... it was THAT stiff.

I refitted with a standard one, which although isn't as stiff (And thus more body roll) is still better than now't, and still offers some axle movement.

FWIW i run with the HD twin rear springs on my 110, which is probably why it had enough strength to shear the joint.
Old January 29th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Have to chime in here. I've been running a Scorpion HD rear bar for a few years, with disconnects. I have run actual rally stages with that bar and the handling is exceptional. On one NVTR stage I sheared both of the stock frame mounts -- the bar actually caused the mounts to peel the frame apart where the mounts weld onto it. Had the mounts rebuilt and frame strenghened afterwards and no further issues. With the bar, Chammy will drift on pavement and is delightful in dirt, handling like a real rally machine. Depends what you want....
Old January 29th, 2010, 06:28 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daringer View Post

Thanks Carter for your interest in building one. Happy to talk to you about that. If you like you can PM me your ideas, price and lead time for one?
Right now I have a couple projects to get out of the shop and then start ramping up on slider production, and nifty some suspension stuff, but it is on my to do list, just not sure exactly when I'll have something concrete.
Old February 11th, 2010, 12:53 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

set up long winded blah blah blah

hmmm. Went with the poly set up and was not to happy - especially OME yellow sway bar bushings. So far I have had the following:
Set up #1. Original Springs and Bilsteins - Well after awhile noted that the original springs were dead (250K miles on them).
Set up #2. Changed to OME 761 and 764s - Thus got a lift out of it but the Bilsteins and OME did not play well together off road
Set up 3. Kept 2 and Changed front panhard to blue poly, front radius arm to frame with red, rear radius arm to frame with red and rear radius arm to axle with poly and upper rear A arm to frame with blue poly; swaybar end links to OME yellow poly. Not too happy as it was stiff and and will limit articulation in offroad situation.

Set up 4. O.K. ditched the OMEs and changed to stock springs and stock shocks. Result - broke stock shocks offroad.

Set up 5. Kept 3 - Changed springs to stock new and ProComp ES9000s - nice and comfy on road but after a while on wash board ES9000s are worthless.

Set up 6. What to do - Get wider off set tires (DAP sells a set) which now gives a wider track, better cornering - Get Bilsteins - Nice set up. I get the advantage of a stock ride height, wider stance and bilsteins at corners to control the stock springs - exception on/off road ride and takes corners on rails.

P.S. Just a question - Has anyone rolled their 90 from knowingly going into a corner hot and expecting it to stick? I push the envelope all the time and feel that the truck would much rather drift that flip.
Old February 11th, 2010, 02:18 AM
Yudda
Rob
1997/300tdi/110

If it were me i would call the guys that run in the Defender track competitions.

heres a youtube link at the event.

call them up...i dont see performance handling mods online...but they must have found the solutions your looking for:

twisted performance http://www.twistedperformance.co.uk/
JE engineering: http://www.jeengineering.co.uk/

im sure there are more competitors....

hope it helps,

rob

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions