Looking for a german car mechanic - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 27th, 2015, 11:17 AM
asif k.

Looking for a german car mechanic

I know this is not about a Rover but a friend is looking for a reasonably priced mechanic who can change some gaskets on an 08 BMW 535 in the Fairfax, VA area. The dealer wants 5000 dollars, so any leads for mechanics in the area will be much appreciated. Its an oil filter gasket, valve cover gasket and some hose leak from cylinder head to the water pump. Parts are 250 from the dealer but labor is 4750! Thanks for any leads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 27th, 2015, 11:55 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Don't know how close that is to Richmond but there is a pretty decent shop there ... Jimmy will know the name.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old August 27th, 2015, 11:57 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
I dislike dealers as much as the next guy, but I feel like there may be some omitted info here, $4750 in labor for replacing a few gaskets? Even at $150/hr($50 more than the dealer here charges) that's almost 32 hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 27th, 2015, 12:00 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Sounds like they don't want the work ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old August 27th, 2015, 12:04 PM
asif k.

Richmond is about 100 miles away I think.

------ Follow up post added August 27th, 2015 12:12 PM ------

I read his estimate, there's other stuff on there but just the three gaskets are actually more than 5k. Its two gaskets and a hose.
Old August 27th, 2015, 12:28 PM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

I'm thinking this requires the engine being pulled....yep.
Old August 27th, 2015, 12:45 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Sarek Autowerke in Richmond is great. They only hire master technicians and pay their techs salary so they have no incentive to take shortcuts to 'beat the book'.
Old August 27th, 2015, 12:56 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by asif k. View Post
I know this is not about a Rover but a friend is looking for a reasonably priced mechanic who can change some gaskets on an 08 BMW 535 in the Fairfax, VA area. The dealer wants 5000 dollars, so any leads for mechanics in the area will be much appreciated. Its an oil filter gasket, valve cover gasket and some hose leak from cylinder head to the water pump. Parts are 250 from the dealer but labor is 4750! Thanks for any leads.
Bob Drye @ German-Swedish Auto in Springfield VA. Literally the most honest mechanic I've ever met, and the only person (besides myself and family members) that work on any of my vehicles. His shop is very nice, and actually someone that takes pride in their work and company reputation.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old August 27th, 2015, 01:14 PM
asif k.

Ok thanks for the reference Nathan, I will forward the info to the concerned party.
Old August 27th, 2015, 02:42 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Alexandria Bavarian Service. I used them numerous times 10 years ago and they were phenomenal.

Old August 27th, 2015, 08:25 PM
asif k.

Thanks everyone, Loudon Rovah's Waleed Ahmadi referred it to the Mexican mechanic next door as Waleed touches nothing but rovers, who is reportedly doing the work for 200 dollars. 200 versus 4750 labor charge from the dealer, normally I'd advise against such a cheap mechanic but if Waleed recommended him than it should be ok.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions