looking for a fuel tank guard - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 26th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Severin Blenkush
97 D90 LE, 10 Lotus Exige S, 05 LR3
looking for a fuel tank guard

The most recent forum I could find discussing replacement fuel tank guards for the NAS 90 was 5 years old so I'm looking for the latest suggestion on replacing the tank guard with something that will allow the use of the stock bumper. Atlantic British and Rovers North have steel ones (I could have my slightly rusted one blasted and powder coated for less than half the price), ECR has an aluminum one on their website but won't sell it to me unless I drive my truck to their shop and have them install it, RockWare doesn't list one for the D-90... Other options?? Thanks!

Old July 27th, 2011, 06:36 AM
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.
Old July 28th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Agreed. ESR269 is their part number. I put one on 2 weeks ago. Looks real nice. You just need to put the sway bar on the pan first as there aren't any nuts welded on this one. And soak the bolts in PB blaster before you get at it....I broke 2.
Old July 28th, 2011, 10:35 AM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.
1995 D90 SW #314, 59 SII 88 HT
I have the Mantec steering guard which is 8mm thick 'al-ewe-miny-um' (queens english) I wish they made a NAS fuel take skid. I believe Stephen's is only 1/4" thick. 8mm is closer to 3/8.

Has anyone ever bent the 1/4" aluminum one from Safari HP while dragging your butt off a rock?

I wonder if Stephen would be willing have his guy burn some out of thicker material?
Old July 28th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Viton Johnnson
Smart 4x4
I don't think anyone makes "sliders" made of aluminum.

Though bash plates made of aluminum may be much lighted, somehow in my mind I see rocks digging into anything made of aluminum and not simply skidding across the surface as I do skid plates made of steel. With all the aluminum components of the D90, and LR choosing steel for the gas tank skid plate, I think I'd stick with steel.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

fuel, fuel tank