Looking at LRs. Dealing with tall guy issues... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 17th, 2013, 02:16 PM
briansrapier
Brian
None

Looking at LRs. Dealing with tall guy issues...

I am considering purchasing my first LR. Though I am still educating myself on the different models and features, I am looking for a 5 door wagon with sufficient seats for me and my brood (9 total).

I looked at a series 1 (RHD) over the weekend and relatively satisfied with what I saw based on what I have read and learned thus far. The main issue that I had was how tight the driver's area was for me. I'm 6' 6", 240#. While I'm not fat by any means, I did find the space to be a bit confining. Not to mention the fact that the amount of leg space was a bit concerning. Between the e-brake handle and the steering wheel, I was having a bit of trouble depressing/releasing the clutch properly. Not to mention my size 14 feet were giving me issues when I had to hit the brake and clutch at the same time. Lastly, the small windscreen area required that I lean forward quite a bit to look at stop lights and overhead signs.

Without making major modifications, how do taller guys get along with LRs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 17th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Damn, you're just too big for a Land Rover.

I think most of them are a little cramped and I'm not a big guy.

WV billionaire Jim Justice, owner of The Greenbrier, had a Defender 110 widened to accommodate his....wide load.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old September 17th, 2013, 02:38 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
A series 1 is small, no doubt about that.
I think you better call Stuart or Paul Foley and see if they'd build you a seven door.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 17th, 2013, 02:49 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
Damn, you're just too big for a Land Rover.

I think most of them are a little cramped and I'm not a big guy.

WV billionaire Jim Justice, owner of The Greenbrier, had a Defender 110 widened to accommodate his....wide load.
I have pics! Posted it in Sightings once upon a time....his truck was at a shop right next to our farm
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old September 17th, 2013, 02:51 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Contact Rob Bass. He is in Rockville, MD. He has a Series 3 109 5 door that he is preparing for sale. He's on this forum as RRCBass.

Bill McDonald used to truck his family of 11 (or is it twelve, I lost count) in a 109 NADA 6 109 5 door wagon. He's like 6'4 and he fit.

1968 2A 88

Old September 17th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Something to keep in mind is that the RHD has more room in the footwell area for the driver than the LHD.

You could move the brake lever to the opposite side as well for a little more leg room
Old September 17th, 2013, 03:21 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

a 109 (SII, SIIa, SIII) or 110 station wagon will seat 9. Four on the benches/jump seats in the back (inward facing), three in the middle row, two in the front.

In a 109/110 SW, you can move the seat back with rails if you have defender seats and you could be 7ft tall and still drive it.
Old September 17th, 2013, 03:22 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
PS the 109 Rob has is RHD

1968 2A 88

Old September 17th, 2013, 04:11 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Getting the seat rails helps a bit (if you've not got the rear bulkhead), but the trouble is, it raises the seat by an inch or so, which means you're looking through the sunvisor.

i'm 6'5" and struggle a little sometimes. luckily my 110 5 door has no bulkhead, so can tip the seat back a bit, and the 90 i cut the bulkhead out so could roll the seat back.

a G wagon has plenty of room!

You can move the handbrake lever... get a discovery/rangerover lever, and mount it on top of the seatbox. stops it digging in the side of your leg then.
Old September 18th, 2013, 08:19 AM
briansrapier
Brian
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Contact Rob Bass. He is in Rockville, MD. He has a Series 3 109 5 door that he is preparing for sale. He's on this forum as RRCBass.
Awesome! That just a little up the road from me. I'll look him up.

------ Follow up post added September 18th, 2013 08:21 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_jim View Post
You can move the handbrake lever... get a discovery/rangerover lever, and mount it on top of the seatbox. stops it digging in the side of your leg then.
I'm looking this up right now. Any idea on how big a pain it is?
Old September 18th, 2013, 08:26 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I am 6'5 and 245ish and would recommend a defender as opposed to s series for anything more than just running errands. The series deluxe seats will kill your back and short of cutting the truck up there is no way to improve it. David Short is also considering selling his Stage 1 109 in the Reston area if you want the old look but more drive-ability.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old September 18th, 2013, 08:41 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Defender seats in a 109 Wagon, with the cross bar removed, are just fine. They will go back pretty far and they will recline a bit. I believe Rob's truck is equipped with Defender seats.
Series roof line is a bit lower up front than a Defender so you may have to lean forward a bit to see some traffic signals.

1968 2A 88

Old September 19th, 2013, 10:10 PM
BayouBeastie
Corky Jones
97 D90 LE ST Conversion

Tall in a Defender 90 - no worries.

I am 6'6", 230lb and am perfectly comfortable in a standard 97 Defender.

FWIW I was ready to install the UK Mudrails but the seat goes back just fine and I am fine in there. Drove it from Atlanta to New Orleans and though I am not eager to repeat the experience (noisey and bouncey) the height issue wasn't a problem at all.

Saw a post on this (maybe this thread?) about another guy that said it's supposed to be a tight fit (cramped?) so the truck holds one in place. When I read it is seemed far fatched, but I am now 100% inclined to agree.

Go fot it. You only go around once.

Corky
Old September 19th, 2013, 10:21 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

6'8" and I fit as well in my 90 and 110 as anything else.

Heck, face it, we don't fit anywhere else, either.
Old September 20th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Cajun
G
1987 110

Do like this one. I have a LHD I'm finishing now with the ebrake swapped to the RHS to give way more room. Custom seat brackets, seats, and pedal adjustments and you are all set

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3643329185.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	402.9 KB
ID:	80408
Old September 20th, 2013, 12:40 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun View Post
Do like this one. I have a LHD I'm finishing now with the ebrake swapped to the RHS to give way more room. Custom seat brackets, seats, and pedal adjustments and you are all set

Attachment 80408
I keep meaning to do this mod for the hand brake, but have not gotten around to it yet.
Old September 20th, 2013, 12:45 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
get a rag top with a fold down windscreen ad supply goggles ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old September 21st, 2013, 01:26 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

At 6'4 and 200# I'm just a little tyke compared to you. Seating in the 110 is odd compared to any new vehicle, but you also get used to it. I dumped the stock seats as I found them very uncomfortable, and unsafe due to the "headrest" only coming somewhere up on my back. I put Saab 9000 seats in, but even after lowering them they're still too high for my liking.

When budget permits, I'll buy some Puma seats, or nicer Exmoor ones, to replace them. Getting a sunroof cut in would give me more of a feeling of visibilty. I'm "lucky" there are no mountains around here, as with my seating position I wouldn't be able to see them out of the windows anyway.

I have quite a bit of headroom in the 110, and would have even more if I put in a custom headliner. There are also brackets you can get for the second row of seats to give them more legroom, which you'll want to consider as there isn't going to be a lot of room behind your seat when you're driving. Like others, I have a LHD conversion with the parking brake on the right side. I read on ECR about them complaining of others' conversions that leave the brake over there, but in my mind it makes the most sense. Then again, I have long arms.

Also, you can fit 10 in a 110 wagon if you put a seat where the centre console is. However, with your size that would be pretty uncomfortable.
Old September 21st, 2013, 01:43 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun View Post
That's a great looking interior! If I convert to LHD I will do the same and keep the brake on the right side. Hope my interior comes out as good as that!
Old September 21st, 2013, 06:04 PM
Cajun
G
1987 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post

That's a great looking interior! If I convert to LHD I will do the same and keep the brake on the right side. Hope my interior comes out as good as that!
Thanks Don!
With all the nice seats coming available now, anything is possible. Just have to find best bang for the buck. I'm about to redo the interior in my other one, but haven't pulled trigger on best seat combo that will look nice and not break the piggy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions