Hope everybody on here is well.
Quick question. Wondering how you would handle this.
1. I got my zf transmission rebuilt 3 years ago, it was one year out of warranty. When they did the rebuild they did not install new cooling lines for some reason. Sort of like buying a new radiator and not changing the hoses, right?
2. I went to Jiffy Lube (my first mistake, right?) They couldn't get my oil drain plug off because they couldn't find a socket. I have the socket in my car and gave it to them and they said it still didn't fit. I have used it 5 times in the past and I knew it fit. I think they were trying to take off my transmission drain plug instead?
3. I drove off from Jiffy Lube and my rig was immediately running badly, so much so I drove it back to them and asked them what they did to it. They said nothing, I drove home and the car was acting erratically.
4. I took my rig to Lamorna Garage and Gord'n gave her a tune up, new oil pan gasket and generally fixed a bunch of stuff. Got the car from him and it was still running rough.
5. I put her on a flat bed and sent her to the guy who did the transmission rebuild 3 years ago. They added a new filter and new fluid and said she was working great, she was not working great. I drove it right back to them.
6. They tore the transmission apart and found that things had been burnt up due to a lack of transmission fluid. I had them do a complete rebuild this time, pretty much new everything, bearings, rebuild kit etc. While off the rig a Jiffy Lube Inspector came and did an assessment of the transmission and it's my guess that they are going to do all they can to suggest none of this is their fault.
7. After a month in 3 different shops she is finally fixed $4500 dollars later and so far the repair has been out of my pocket. I just paid 3k to have it rebuilt 3 years ago. The shop says that they think Jiffy Lube either drained my transmission fluid or yanked on my cooling line to a point where I lost my transmission fluid through the cooling line. I think that Jiffy Lube drained my transmission fluid and I think that I should also have gotten new cooling lines when I had my rig rebuilt 3 years ago.
What would you do in this circumstance. I know I'm still waiting on a response from J-Lube but if they deny any responsibility I may end up in small claims with them. But there is a part of me that also thinks that the transmission shop is partially liable as well because they did half the job the last time they redid the rig. Last time I should have just found the exact transmission factory rebuilt on eBay and sent in my core and been done with this for a decade or so.
Sorry this is so long. But your thoughts are appreciated.