long time - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 12th, 2015, 01:54 PM
kellykortman
kelly kortman
1994 land rover defender

Registry
long time

Hope everybody on here is well.

Quick question. Wondering how you would handle this.

1. I got my zf transmission rebuilt 3 years ago, it was one year out of warranty. When they did the rebuild they did not install new cooling lines for some reason. Sort of like buying a new radiator and not changing the hoses, right?

2. I went to Jiffy Lube (my first mistake, right?) They couldn't get my oil drain plug off because they couldn't find a socket. I have the socket in my car and gave it to them and they said it still didn't fit. I have used it 5 times in the past and I knew it fit. I think they were trying to take off my transmission drain plug instead?

3. I drove off from Jiffy Lube and my rig was immediately running badly, so much so I drove it back to them and asked them what they did to it. They said nothing, I drove home and the car was acting erratically.

4. I took my rig to Lamorna Garage and Gord'n gave her a tune up, new oil pan gasket and generally fixed a bunch of stuff. Got the car from him and it was still running rough.

5. I put her on a flat bed and sent her to the guy who did the transmission rebuild 3 years ago. They added a new filter and new fluid and said she was working great, she was not working great. I drove it right back to them.

6. They tore the transmission apart and found that things had been burnt up due to a lack of transmission fluid. I had them do a complete rebuild this time, pretty much new everything, bearings, rebuild kit etc. While off the rig a Jiffy Lube Inspector came and did an assessment of the transmission and it's my guess that they are going to do all they can to suggest none of this is their fault.

7. After a month in 3 different shops she is finally fixed $4500 dollars later and so far the repair has been out of my pocket. I just paid 3k to have it rebuilt 3 years ago. The shop says that they think Jiffy Lube either drained my transmission fluid or yanked on my cooling line to a point where I lost my transmission fluid through the cooling line. I think that Jiffy Lube drained my transmission fluid and I think that I should also have gotten new cooling lines when I had my rig rebuilt 3 years ago.

What would you do in this circumstance. I know I'm still waiting on a response from J-Lube but if they deny any responsibility I may end up in small claims with them. But there is a part of me that also thinks that the transmission shop is partially liable as well because they did half the job the last time they redid the rig. Last time I should have just found the exact transmission factory rebuilt on eBay and sent in my core and been done with this for a decade or so.

Sorry this is so long. But your thoughts are appreciated.

Kelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 12th, 2015, 03:53 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Hope you get it figured out. When I hear Auto ZF now I want to throw up as I have been in your position trying to figure out who knew what they were doing less.
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old April 12th, 2015, 04:41 PM
kellykortman
kelly kortman
1994 land rover defender

Registry
I told them I wanted a complete rebuild last time and that cost was not an issue, having it done right the first time was. I really am just mind boggled that they didn't replace the cooling lines and yes they were brittle and cracking. Paying 7500 dollars to have a transmission rebuilt twice in 3 years doesn't make any sense to me. Somebody somewhere has to be at fault and furthermore every time I brought my rig to them I said, "If there is ANYTHING that needs changing, change it, belts, hoses, cooling lines. These cars are all too well known for breaking down on road trips making just about any road trip a disaster filled adventure and you can never find parts in the middle of nowhere which is where we all mostly head.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions