Long distance buying advice - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 6th, 2011, 05:04 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Actually he inspected my 110 when I bought it. I think he charged 200. He also told me under no circumstances to buy it and of course I did
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 6th, 2011, 05:16 PM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

I'd say long distance buying is no worse than buying locally. I've bought 4 vehicles from a long distance and honestly, I think all of them were even better than I expected. Then again, it all depends on exactly what you want and how much you are willing to pay. Defenders and Series trucks are pretty basic, that's a big advantage.
Having someone look one over is fine, but the look is only as good as the looker.
I find that a lot of high res photos can actually be more revealing than a on site inspection. For one there is a certain advantage to being detached and just looking at the thing for what it is.
In the end, you must be comfortable with the process.
Also, I'm a mechanic and I guess that helps in knowing what to look for and what to ask.
Old January 6th, 2011, 05:30 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

I.can scan the lr checklist that the previous owner had done when he purchased the d90. It was done at hand rove honolulu. Pretty standard checklist. Id rather have someone from this board look it over or a shop that really knows d90s inside and out.

edit...pictures are good and bad. Good pics give a good idea of the condition but You will start to focus on certain areas and continually zoom in on those areas whereas seeint it in person or having somone look it over will focus on the truck as a whole without getting bogged down on one or two areas. Pictures only tell the cosmetic story. Need to drive it to get a feel for mechanics. Im always skeptical of what owners say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 6th, 2011, 05:43 PM
kevkon
kevin

I'm skeptical of what everyone says!
Buying long distance is just not for everyone.
I would say, though, I've seen more than my fair share of people with pretty bad vehicles bought locally and test driven to boot.
Old January 6th, 2011, 05:44 PM
rob37
Rob Whiteman
1995/D90 Coniston Green

Hey guys,

Thanks for all of the advice - it's been extremely helpful. Brian's offered to see whether the truck looks as good in person as in the pictures. Based on what I hear from him, I'll decide whether it's worth arranging a full inspection or taking a pass. With any luck I'll have a pic of my new d-90 posted soon.

Thanks Brian!
Old January 6th, 2011, 07:00 PM
the_eaze
Eric Brown
1997 Arles SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaKevin View Post
I.can scan the lr checklist that the previous owner had done when he purchased the d90. It was done at hand rove honolulu. Pretty standard checklist. Id rather have someone from this board look it over or a shop that really knows d90s inside and out.

edit...pictures are good and bad. Good pics give a good idea of the condition but You will start to focus on certain areas and continually zoom in on those areas whereas seeint it in person or having somone look it over will focus on the truck as a whole without getting bogged down on one or two areas. Pictures only tell the cosmetic story. Need to drive it to get a feel for mechanics. Im always skeptical of what owners say.
This is great advice. I bought mine long distance with good pictures that did show the cosmetics. The real story though is the mechanics and rust. Being able to get under the car and look all over the frame, cross member, bulkhead, etc.. for rust is something you definitely need to do. The other thing you need to do is drive it. Go to test drive it with someone from this board who knows how a D90 should feel and drive. I wish I would have had someone who knew these trucks with me because my truck needed head gaskets not long after buying it. And of course an inspection from a knowledgeable rover mechanic is a must.
Old January 6th, 2011, 07:26 PM
usadventureracing
Brett

I would have it inspected, sure wish I would have had mine. I had a chance to purchase a D110 locally (only thin left to was finish the interior) but wanted to save some money, and mine was advertised as no known issues and runs strong. So far I do not believe it as it will not start and did not run strong the first and only time I got it started.
Old January 9th, 2011, 10:31 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Hate to kill this as I know you were excited about the truck but Brian just sent me the carfax and British Car Service info. Now if this was a super cheap truck I would say it was worth a look but at 39k I wouldn't go near this thing. I don't even think it is worth Brian driving by to spit on it.

Reasons:
Repainted and by the looks of the pictures not well. Color is totally off. I could live with a good repaint but at the price the guy wants you can find one that hasn't needed paint.

Tons of overdue maintenance done which is good but if you look at the report lots of rot was repaired. Rear door and gas tank cradle replaced because of rot. If that was done what else is the truck hiding?

The main reason though I would rather have Horsey's rhinolined truck than this is according the BCS report the rear bumper was hit hard on the right side that damaged the chassis. Frame damage. No thanks

Just not a 39k truck. Sorry
Old January 9th, 2011, 11:28 PM
rob37
Rob Whiteman
1995/D90 Coniston Green

No worries - that's why I asked for advice before moving forward with the deal. Based on your assessment, I don't think it makes sense for Brian to stop by either. I'm not in a hurry to buy, so I'll just keep the search going. Speaking of which, anybody know of a good 97 SW in the mid-$30ks? I'm not partial to any particular color. Thanks again for the advice. I'll keep you posted on the search.
Old January 9th, 2011, 11:39 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

No worries. They are out there. Just to put it in perspective. That truck was 39k

For 44k you could have this:

http://www.copleymotorcars.com/land_...35.3vo892.html

Not much of a price difference for a nicer truck.

I still like the idea of Brian spitting on this truck.
Old January 10th, 2011, 02:19 AM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
No worries. They are out there. Just to put it in perspective. That truck was 39k

For 44k you could have this:

http://www.copleymotorcars.com/land_...35.3vo892.html

Not much of a price difference for a nicer truck.

I still like the idea of Brian spitting on this truck.

Hey Rob, just emailed you about the truck too. With the suspicion of frame damage, I would say pass too. I've learned to not be in a hurry to get a Rover because they are always hiding something and deserve to be inspected with a fine tooth comb before dropping any cash.

If Barry wants, I can go up there and spit on this truck to show the seller what his truck is really worth.

-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old January 10th, 2011, 07:57 AM
kevkon
kevin

Are Dinosaurs acceptable?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DEFEN...item3f0665adc5

Nothing some compound can't fix
Old January 10th, 2011, 09:22 AM
rob37
Rob Whiteman
1995/D90 Coniston Green

Yes on the dinosaur - no on the ST. If it was up to my kids it would be a done deal, but I doubt I can buy it for the $6.38 they were able to pull together. Thanks
Old January 10th, 2011, 09:35 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
1of40 has had one for sale for a bit:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=28440
Old January 10th, 2011, 11:44 AM
kevkon
kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob37 View Post
Yes on the dinosaur - no on the ST. If it was up to my kids it would be a done deal, but I doubt I can buy it for the $6.38 they were able to pull together. Thanks
Well it has a Badger top which is worth some money and extremely low hours. If it is as described and free of issues it could be a great vehicle after the air brushing is removed. You could get a new hardtop which would be better than the oem unit, offset the cost a bit by selling the Badger top and you would have a nice super low milage D90. Just a thought.
Old January 11th, 2011, 11:43 AM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

Book a one way ticket. This one is definitely worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
1of40 has had one for sale for a bit:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=28440
Old January 25th, 2011, 11:25 PM
alastair
AJS
84/94/95/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by usadventureracing View Post
I would have it inspected, sure wish I would have had mine. I had a chance to purchase a D110 locally (only thin left to was finish the interior) but wanted to save some money, and mine was advertised as no known issues and runs strong. So far I do not believe it as it will not start and did not run strong the first and only time I got it started.
"No known issues, runs strong" that sounds like the line of bullshit I fell for. My truck arrived with no coolant, no reverse gear, held together by bubble gum and pixie dust and when I finally got it started it burst into flames. There are, for sure, some snake oil salesmen out there peddling rattle canned turds.
Old January 26th, 2011, 10:44 AM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

I bought my RRC based on a 15 minute phone call, and 6 cell phone pictures. It was located 1000 miles away. I flew out one way with cash in my pocket. One of his shop guys picked me up and drove me the final 1.5 hours of the trip. Looked at the truck for 15 minutes and shot the shit with the seller. Paid the nice gentleman and proceeded to drive off into the sunset.

Of course Will Tillery was the seller so I wasn't even remotely concerned.

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
advice, buying, inspection