Locking diffs - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 26th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Defenderbuser
Chuck Duncan
1994 D90 Softop

Locking diffs

I'm sure this has been hashed out a million times, but having trouble finding the search feature. Looking to put locking diffs in my ride soon; looking for opinions w/ reasons. Only choice I see is ARB or Detroit Locker. This truck is, and always has been, a daily driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 26th, 2009, 07:42 PM
redrockrover
Russell Phillips
1994 Defender 90

If it is a daily driver then do the ARB's. Less wear and tear on your driveline and tires. I have had ARB's in my ride for over 10 years now and love them. Detroits are good but if you are using it as a daily driver I would only do a detroit in the rear and not the front. With Detroits there will be some handling issues. You can adapt and still daily drive it, but then it becomes a vehicle that I would not feel comfortable letting my wife drive. With the ARB's unlocked you do not even know they are there.

The other nice thing about ARB's is you can go out wheeling and improve your driving skills while leaving your lockers off, and only turn them on when you need them. Hope this helps, this is only my opinion.

'94 AA Yellow
# 891
Old June 26th, 2009, 08:15 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Spend the extra money and get the ARB's... They are the best of both worlds, excellent handling on and off the road. When you use your truck on the trail you will be able to attempt an obstacle on skill alone, if that is not enough, lock it up and walk out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 26th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Defenderbuser
Chuck Duncan
1994 D90 Softop

I've had the truck for about ten years and that has been my thinking all along. I'm finally about to take the plunge and figured I'd get some opinions to give me the warm and fuzzy.
Old June 26th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Gibson04
Justin Church
1994 D90 / '04 Disco

I use a detroit rear, arb front hybrid setup on my 90. It gives me piece of mind to know that if the compressor fails then I can always 3 wheel it!
Old June 26th, 2009, 09:22 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
hows the detroit in the rear of the Defender?
Old June 26th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Defenderbuser
Chuck Duncan
1994 D90 Softop

I guess that's the big question for me. How is the DL in everyday driving? I have enough quirky noises making me crazy while I'm running errands around town.
Old June 26th, 2009, 10:27 PM
texmoto
david summers
99 Discovery II

I have the Detroit in the rear, and ARB in the front. I use drive the 90 daily (when its running, but that is another thread). I have not noticed any downside on handling in the street. Rarely, I will get a clunk from the Detroit, but really an infrequent event.
Old June 27th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

What size tires and where do you wheel?

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old June 27th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Depending on the useage, don't rule out the Detroit TrueTrac's either. Not the "Hard Core" option, but still a decent limited slip design without the need to rebuild it all the time like clutch-pack versions.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old June 27th, 2009, 02:30 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Or if you can afford it the new KAM looks nice and can be fitted as both LSD and full-locker.

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old June 27th, 2009, 08:17 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Depending on the useage, don't rule out the Detroit TrueTrac's either. Not the "Hard Core" option, but still a decent limited slip design without the need to rebuild it all the time like clutch-pack versions.

-Hans

I think the tru tracs perform extremely well from what I have seen.
Old June 27th, 2009, 08:55 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans

-Hans
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
I think the tru tracs perform extremely well from what I have seen.
Detroit TruTracs are on my list. With 33"s, and only occasional off road driving combined with lower cost and no air lines, they seem like a great fit for me. Good to hear that they can do pretty well.
Old June 27th, 2009, 10:05 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
my trucks are open and I have been able to go everywhere ive ever tried to go. I cant imagine how much farther I could go with tru-tracs.
Old June 27th, 2009, 01:40 PM
texmoto
david summers
99 Discovery II

Don't bother with the Tru Tracs if you have a standard. I have run a Tru Trac in the front of my DII for years, and it is great. BUT, I put one in my 94 Defender, results were substandard. To get maximum performance out of Tru Tracs, one needs to "drag" the brake. This is difficult at best while trying to control the clutch and throttle at the same time. I switched to an ARB in the front after just a few months. Night and day improvement.
Dont get me wrong, I like Tru Tracs and have seen Discos with dual TTs do amazing things, but only when the drivers applied a little brake during acceleration.
Old June 27th, 2009, 01:44 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

TT really shine when you have traction control to massage them into action, I use one in the front of my D2 with an ARB in the back. I would probably not run the same setup again though and am considering for the 110 either a KAM front (roverdiff) and one of the E-lockers for the Salisbury or just staying with stock for now and swapping in something fancy next year with Toyota internals/swivels/brakes etc. Still up in the air but mostly a cost issue... shipping a new chassis, 4 new 2007 doors, and a pile of other stuff has me pretty tapped out for this year

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old June 27th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Defenderbuser
Chuck Duncan
1994 D90 Softop

Lots of good input. Thanks. It looked like the KAM was only available for the 110 with the Salisbury; is that not accurate?
Old June 27th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have a Detroit Locker in the rear of my 110. Hardly notice its there untill you are off road, the newer soft lockers don't unload with a bang like the old ones did.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old June 27th, 2009, 09:54 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I ran a detroit for a long time in my old disco, it was... interesting when it decided to unlock during daily driving but a dead reliable choice

Now I am running front and rear ARBs

Chuck I have a local connection that can get you brand new ARBs installed for less than $1000 each

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
diffs, fs