lockheed & pro-line - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 14th, 2006, 06:43 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
lockheed & pro-line

What is your opinion on the quality and performance of lockheed vs pro-line calipers?
Thanks
Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 14th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I have Lockheed calipers on the Defender, have had them for near 4 years. No problems with them, and they stop the 90 fine.
Old July 14th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Brakes are the last area you want to get a cheaper part for.

Lockheed in the front 2 years no probs...

EwS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 15th, 2006, 10:52 AM
outfield
Steve
1995 D-90 SW #351

Registry
The '95 D90 I bought 2 months ago has Lockheed calipers, are these original equipment or an aftermarket upgrade?
Old July 15th, 2006, 01:46 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
The info available is a little confusing on the web. The way I read it is that OEM calipers are titled Land Rover. I think that Proline is the OEM manufacturer that now sells under Proline. Lockheed is an aftermarket very high quality manufacturer. Thats my best guess?
Old July 16th, 2006, 10:23 AM
outfield
Steve
1995 D-90 SW #351

Registry
Thanks Marc
Old July 16th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewap
The info available is a little confusing on the web. The way I read it is that OEM calipers are titled Land Rover. I think that Proline is the OEM manufacturer that now sells under Proline. Lockheed is an aftermarket very high quality manufacturer. Thats my best guess?

I thought Proline is Rover's North house brand. If you look thru their catalog you'll see that they are mostly reman'd parts and are at a pricepoint way to low to be OEM anything.

I believe Lockheed was the OEM but am not sure.
Old July 16th, 2006, 03:47 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
mine calipers are lockheed
Old July 16th, 2006, 07:36 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
So her is the confusion with the RN catalogue online. Under "lockheed" if you click the add button, a proline caliper PLF 300 shows up for $300. If you click " genuine" the # is RNF300 for $399. Then if you click "proline rebuilt"
the #PLF300R (for rebuilt) shows up and $99. In the catalogue all "lockheed" marked brake items show up as
Proline. All genuine items are marked RNF. Logically wouldn't that mean that "proline" is the OEM manufacturer of Lockheed?, and that "genuine" would be for genuine as in LR approved and labeled?. (meaning lockheed or proline manufacturer labeled Rover)

Old July 16th, 2006, 07:45 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I think that Proline is nothing more than a RN moniker for aftermarket parts. RNF numbers are just RN assigned numbers to keep you from using the RN catalog as a useful reference for ordering LR parts from somewhere cheaper.
Old July 16th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewap
So her is the confusion with the RN catalogue online. Under "lockheed" if you click the add button, a proline caliper PLF 300 shows up for $300. If you click " genuine" the # is RNF300 for $399. Then if you click "proline rebuilt"
the #PLF300R (for rebuilt) shows up and $99. In the catalogue all "lockheed" marked brake items show up as
Proline. All genuine items are marked RNF. Logically wouldn't that mean that "proline" is the OEM manufacturer of Lockheed?, and that "genuine" would be for genuine as in LR approved and labeled?. (meaning lockheed or proline manufacturer labeled Rover)
Nope. Like Jim Said. Marketing & Sales classification on RN's part. George at RDS should be able to tell you who the OEM manufacturer is and sell you the parts cheaper than RN without the glossy mag, website or high price...

EwS
Old July 16th, 2006, 10:17 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Rovers North is good about "genuine" stuff atlantic british is the worst. that being said most of my stuff comes from RN RDS and Rover Connection
Old July 20th, 2006, 03:40 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
pro-line

Dare I say it?- I purchased two "new" proline front calipers at $169. ea from RN. (special catalogue sale).
My original LOCKHEED calipers need rebuilding, so I decided why not try the proline babys for myself while I rebuild the
the Lockheeds. I thought my personal observation of the units might be of interest.

The frt prolines look the same in shape and weight as Lockheed.
The finish might be a little better on the pad sliding surfaces.
No model markings or Co. stamp.
Gold CAD plated.

The biggest difference is the yellow/gold CAD plating, (which I dare say pimps out with the gold finish DBA rotors)

I'm slapping the calipers on this weekend and will give my impression of out-the-box- performance. That is... if the D90 does not end up in a tree....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions