Locker Question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 21st, 2006, 01:25 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Locker Question

I have looked a few pages back and did not see anything on this so here goes. I have a '95 manual and want to put a locker on the rear diff. Does anyone have any feedback on the detroit soft locker? I am concerned mostly about driving on the highway and city driving and how it handles. The ARB air is a proven option but more expensive. Any possible advise would be much appreciated.

RickM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 21st, 2006, 01:52 PM
Shane@EVS
Roverhybrids

since you have a manual and are concerned about on road manners I would highly recommend ARB.
The design of a detroit requires alot of backlash and when compounded in a land rover that all ready has lots of backlash AND a manual trans I would avoid it if at all possible.
Old March 21st, 2006, 02:37 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I ran one of those Detroits in the rear of my 94 D90 for 3+ years with no issues. I like it so much I am about to swap it out of the 94 into my 97.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 21st, 2006, 02:53 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

On road no issues at all. Highway, around town, whatever. Offraod only in the snow I would prefer a selectable locker but that is preference.
Old March 21st, 2006, 02:53 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Running a Detroit in the 90, only things I notice, it wants to go straight in the snow no matter how hard you turn the tires while accelerating, but coasting it will turn, putting it in diff lock helps too.

When it "unloads" for the most part it lets out a little click, but every now and then it unloads under acceleration and sounds like a glass bottle exploding (very cool when you are driving by people on the side of the road! They jump back and wait for parts to fall off the 90).
Old March 21st, 2006, 03:56 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
When it "unloads" for the most part it lets out a little click, but every now and then it unloads under acceleration and sounds like a glass bottle exploding (very cool when you are driving by people on the side of the road! They jump back and wait for parts to fall off the 90).
I was at a covered drive through and when I pulled slightly forward it unloaded--scared the crap out of me because of the "echo"--I look behind me and there was a guy in a F250 that was also pulling forward and he thought he might have hit me! We both had a good laugh about it.

I have no issues with my Detroit, but you have to learn to drive with it--if you accelerate around a corner, it will lock and if it is wet/snowy, it will slide. Personally, I find this rather fun and do it alot in CO. If you are not good at learning stuff like letting it coast through turns and want a "no brainer", don't get the detroit.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 09:25 AM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Thanks for the feedback

This is a much more cost effective way to go then the ARB, so I apprecaite all the feedback and help in thinking through this.

RickM
Old March 22nd, 2006, 10:13 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

either solution you won't regret. good luck.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 12:13 PM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

I had a detriot in the 110, seemed to pop loud more than I expected.....
How about a true-trac?
Old March 22nd, 2006, 01:04 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

I'm moving my Tru-trac from my Range Rover to the Defender - love that thing - works very well in all situations.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 08:43 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhybrids
since you have a manual and are concerned about on road manners I would highly recommend ARB.
The design of a detroit requires alot of backlash and when compounded in a land rover that all ready has lots of backlash AND a manual trans I would avoid it if at all possible.
I'd second the ARB recommendation. HOWEVER, consider that this is a fulltime 4wd system, so the snaps pops and jerks will be much less than in a rwd swb (um, jeep?). However, as others have stated, you probably will have to learn to drive it properly. HTH
-scott (with ARBs)
Old March 22nd, 2006, 09:51 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

You will not even feel a thing with a detroit in the rear. I could not even tell I had it in the rear. I never drove on snow so that could be something.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 12:00 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I routinely feel mine in the snow--it is definitely there but no big deal once you know what is happening. But surely there. On dry pavement, though, I agree.
Old April 8th, 2006, 03:29 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

I went with the detroit and it is absolutely great. I can understand the snow and ice delima, but on dry streets the diff in unlock pushes the power to the front wheels about most of the time. Thanks for all the advice
Old April 9th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Chris V

I used a Detroit in my 90, Still use one in my 101 and my H1 would not run my rigs any other way. Simple and sweet. (and we get a lot of snow, mud, slippery vegetation in the mountains of Killington VT)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions