Locker help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 19th, 2005, 03:57 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Locker help

After doing a little research I think I am going to go with the Truetrac. But before I dump the $$ I want some opinions. I will be using it on my 130. It has 235/85/16's. 24 spline land rover axles. Most of the wheeling I do is moderate but would occasionaly like to do somthing like the Rubicon or Dusy Ershim. One thing I am wondering about is the strength of the 24 spline or lack of strength. On one forum I read one guy uses LR axles with the TT as a fusible link, meaning that the axle will break and spare damage to the TT. Is this true? If I upgrade to stronger axles will the damage be transfered to to TT. Axles are cheap and easy to replace on the trail so going with LR 24 spline sounds like the way to go if the fusible link theory is right. I would like to put the TT on the front and maybe rear alo in the future. I am a pretty conservitive driver and do not wheel with a heavy foot. Do you think the TT is a good option? What set ups are you guys using and why?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 19th, 2005, 08:25 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

The Truetrac is a limited slip differential and should really just be used in the front diff. For the rear, most would go with a Detroit, which is a locker. If you run a Detroit, most would recommend using upgraded axles since when the axle breaks on a Detroit, it usually takes out the diff too. The Truetrac is pretty stout and since it is a limited slip, you will be less likely to break an axle. I run the Detroit/Truetrac set up and I find it adequate. I will replace my front with an ARB at some point. To do over again, if budget was not an issue, I would have gone with the ARB or possibly Mac setup. I do like simplicity of the Detroit/True set up as I know a number of people with ARB's that have had issues.
Old June 19th, 2005, 12:18 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Sorry I use the term locker a little too loosely. Sounds like for my application a TT in the front should be fine. It's not like I am going to be running the Hammers in the 130 . I always keep spare axles with me and in 20 years of wheeling I have yet to break one. Maybe it,s like the old saying in skiing and whitewater kayaking, if you aint falling or flipping you aint trying pushing yourself hard enough Did you do the install yourself? Thanks for your help.

Anyone else got any input?

Kevin

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions