Locker debate - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old November 20th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI
It only unlocks if you have enough traction to slow one wheel, if you don't you oversteer and don't have the normal anchorage provided by the non-powered wheel underbrush same circumstances.

That is not why I had one fitted to my d2 for less than a day before swapping in an ARB though, it was the horrible metal breaking noise every time I went around a corner.

In a daily driver I would never fit a Detroit, I might consider one for a Crawler but then I would also be strongly considering axles with cable lockers.

-- - Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly - Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts! - Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old November 25th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Trenton Smith
1997 D90
I wish I would have seen this a week ago when I was in Fort Worth, I would've let you drive mine. I'm running ARB front and rear in my D90 and love them, I got the ARB due to the versatility. Pricey and a pain to get installed but well worth the money in my opinion.

Old November 26th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Re-Fendered 90
The debate needs perameters. But if there are none, any selectible locker is better than the detroit. Whether it is ARB, OX, KAM, whatever. The "problems" that your buddy mentions about ARB reliablity are mentioned by people who want the ARB but don't want to pay for it.

I will tell you this to stir up a hornets nest. Nobody serious about rock wheeling/racing/really getting it, ever runs a detroit. They will weld up the diff before running one. I have two cars, both run a selectable and a spool, just on different ends.

2009 King of the Hammers

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline

Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions