lock the tailgate?? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 7th, 2003, 07:53 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
lock the tailgate??

Is there anyway to lock the tailgate from the outside like the doors. I have a hardtop and that is the only door that doesn't lock. Some assh#le got into mine last night and stole my ipod. Boy would I like to get my hands on that person right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 7th, 2003, 10:11 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Richard, You have to change out the door lock/handle with one with a lock like the one on your passenger door. Then template the passenger side door cutout and drill a hole in the tailgate for the lock assembly to go through. I will be doing this shortly to my tailgate and I will try to take some pics and do a write up.

Randy
Old December 7th, 2003, 10:53 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Thanks Randy, let me know how you make out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 7th, 2003, 02:32 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Richard, did you install a fiberglass hard top?

Randy
Old December 7th, 2003, 02:39 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Yes.
Old December 7th, 2003, 03:48 PM
jperakis
James Perakis
94 ST

hey richard how long did it take to install? was it difficult? did you have to cut into the top at all to make it fit? and what about drilling, ive heard we 94 owners need to drill 14 or so holes to secure the top properly.
one last thing, how do you like it over all? i've had a fastback top the whole time and its loud, drafty, wet... i'm hoping this hartop will fix all that.

on and unrelated issue (or so i think) what exactly is the purpose of a tail gate bar? does anyone have a pic?do i need it for a hardtop?
Old December 7th, 2003, 11:24 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

did you have to cut into the top at all to make it fit?
You have to trim slightly to fit a 94

and what about drilling, ive heard we 94 owners need to drill 14 or so holes to secure the top properly.

Yes for rivnuts

on and unrelated issue (or so i think) what exactly is the purpose of a tail gate bar? does anyone have a pic?do i need it for a hardtop?

No only if you install a badger or Bestop top.

If you do not have the rear cage (you siad fastback) it says the hardtop will work but I kinda wonder about strength without the rear cage section.

I like my hardtop. It leaks a bit by the map light and it is no where near disco comfort but it beats the soft top, especially in snow.

Ron
Old December 7th, 2003, 11:25 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

95s and 97s have a lock, you could swap to that. I just locked mine from the inside and access it from the front only.

Ron
Old December 8th, 2003, 11:58 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Thanks Ron,
I agree with Ron, I love the hardtop. That is funny Ron mine leaks in the same spot.
James,
Look back in the old posts about installing a hardtop. Mike pretty much told me exactly what I needed and how to do it. The only trouble I had was at first I didn't remove the thin metal bars between the roll bar and windshield. Once I figured that out it wasn't too bad. Just don't over tighten anything.
Old December 8th, 2003, 05:46 PM
mattwhite
Matt White
94 D-90

Richard, when I had my truck at ECR I had them put a tailgate lock on, it took them less than 15 minutes to drill the holes and install it. They also have the ability to match the new rear tailgate lock key with your other door locks, so you only need one key to unlock all the doors.

Matt

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tailgate