Location for ARB Compressor - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 13th, 2004, 02:26 AM
Seriesman
Michael Elliott
1997 D-90 Hardtop (#2369)

Location for ARB Compressor

I have been looking around under the hood of my D-90 for a good mounting location for my ARB pump and it does not look good. I have a 97 SW with air conditioning, if that makes any difference. I am curious where others have placed their pumps. I know it is easy to put it under one of the seats, but the one D-90 I rode in that utilized this solution constantly stunk of 90 wt oil inside due to the occassional "burp" of oil that sometimes comes back from the airline to the solenoid (bad seal, I know, but it eventually happens...).

Any help of photos?

Thanks,

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 13th, 2004, 07:23 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Passenger seat box, against the front facing side. Fits perfectly and gives you the necessary grommet to get the lines out to the axle and battery box. Seal up the bottom of you seatbox where it joins the floor pan.
Old August 13th, 2004, 10:47 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Behind the bulkhead.
Whoops,you NAS drivers don't have it.
OK...behind the cubby box?

BTW I'm still thinking about but I'd like to get an air-tank before and do the job once.

Post pics once you made it.
+109" IIA ex-military

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sketches and doodles:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[O]===[O]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 13th, 2004, 11:53 PM
Seriesman
Michael Elliott
1997 D-90 Hardtop (#2369)

Dave,

Thanks for the information. What you described is exactly what I have seen in almost every NAS D-90 that runs ARB's. Your solution of sealing up the seat box is my fall back position, but I am still wondering if anyone has found a spot in the engine bay that my little brain has not been able to figure out yet....

Michael
Old August 13th, 2004, 11:57 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

There is plenty of room in the bay. Try forward by the front lights.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old August 14th, 2004, 03:01 AM
Shane@EVS
Roverhybrids

I had the compressor in the under seatbox area and it got too hot when airing up the tires. If you plan on only using it for your ARB's then you should be fine
Old August 14th, 2004, 03:54 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriesman
Dave,

Thanks for the information. What you described is exactly what I have seen in almost every NAS D-90 that runs ARB's. Your solution of sealing up the seat box is my fall back position, but I am still wondering if anyone has found a spot in the engine bay that my little brain has not been able to figure out yet....

Michael

While this ARB install was performed on a Ninety it still proof that the engine bay could serve as a point of installation. However, if you read his commentary you might want to reconsider buying an ARB compressor if you havenít already done so.

The ARB is notorious for being a mediocre compressor. At least two of my friends who have bought the ARB were deeply disappointed in its performance and its durability. One of them ultimately went with this compressor under his seat box with a 2.5 gallon tank. He bought it from Graniger for about $500. It's possess a 100% duty cycle with a maximum pressure of 100 psi and a cfm of 1.75 at 20 psi, which is enough to meet the 90 psi requirement to run air tools if you so desire. While the ARB can also reach 100 psi it does so with a duty cycle of 20% and a cfm of 0.83 at 29 psi.

The 20% duty cycle is equivocal to the performance of the compressor and means that ARB can run about 12 minutes out of every hour. So if you consider that it will take ARB compressor 6.5 minutes for fill one 35x12.5x15 tire from 10-35 psi then it will take you approximately 26 minutes to fill all four of these tires, which exceeds the duty cycle of the ARB by 14 minutes. So you'll have to either wait for the compressor to cycle or it will burn up.

Granted, there are other compressors out there and other configurations that might better suit your needs than the Currie, e.g. belt driven air systems, a Power-Tank, or the addition of a 2.5 gallon tank. However, for someone who requires a permanent 12V on board air system both the Currie & the Extreme Air Compressors are the way to go in my opinion. The Extreme Air compressor has a 100% duty cycle, a maximum psi of 150, and a flow rate of 4 cfm at 0 psi. The only down side to this compressor is that it runs at about 153įF whereas the Currie runs at 117įF after being used.

There are other subtle differences between the Currie and EA, but as I said before both are comparable, at least on paper. Most of this information that Iíve listed above was taken from an article in Four Wheeler Magazine, June 2001; pp 120-24 and probably shoudn't be taken as the gospel. As we all know, not all items live up to their "on-paper" specifications. I hope this at least helps your purchase or maybe reconsider your existing one.

DJ
Old August 15th, 2004, 02:59 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Powertank! Got rid of the compressor and have never looked back....
Old August 15th, 2004, 12:09 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

ARB in passenger seat box, and powertank for my tires If you want your ARB to last a long time don't use it to air up your tires. Mine been going on for two years now
Old August 15th, 2004, 03:57 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Yousef,
Other than for your lockers, what else do you use the ARB pump for?
Old August 15th, 2004, 04:09 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Nothing. I'm only using it for the lockers.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
compressor