Load area drawer experience - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 8th, 2016, 04:51 PM
rwavers
Robert Wavers

Registry
Load area drawer experience

I've searched the forums, but can't seem to find anything.

Does anyone have experience with either of these drawer sets from FrontRunner?

https://www.nakatanenga.de/zubehoer/...ntrunner?c=120

https://www.nakatanenga.de/zubehoer/...ntrunner?c=120

They are pricey, but I can buy it w/o paying VAT and have it shipped back to the states this summer when I move back essentially for free. I was striking out on trying to find the either of these at a US location (my Google skills are suffering from a long week).

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 8th, 2016, 06:54 PM
Abeer
Amarveer
94 D90 ST

Registry
Frontrunners has a US headquarters in agoura hills ca. Maybe they could help you out with more info or shipping?
Old April 9th, 2016, 01:38 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Tuffy make some as well. They say they are for Wranglers, but they work in Land Rovers as well. -Jeff
Agreed. I have the tuffy drawer and it's a perfect fit. High capacity and well built but a bit too tall after I re-installed the side facing jumps. So it's either or.

Where are you located? I'd probably sell it to you cheap if you could pick it up. Well built=heavy, and it's far from small.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 9th, 2016, 02:43 AM
rwavers
Robert Wavers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
Agreed. I have the tuffy drawer and it's a perfect fit. High capacity and well built but a bit too tall after I re-installed the side facing jumps. So it's either or.

Where are you located? I'd probably sell it to you cheap if you could pick it up. Well built=heavy, and it's far from small.
I'm currently in Frankfurt, Germany. But I'll be moving to San Diego this summer. Any picture of it installed? Thanks
Old April 9th, 2016, 02:52 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
It's at my place in Napa, CA. San Diego isn't too terribly far. It could work out that somebody could RURR it. Let me know if want to go that direction, with the Tuffy that is ;-)
Old April 9th, 2016, 10:10 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Tuffy make some as well. They say they are for Wranglers, but they work in Land Rovers as well.

-Jeff
Which Tuffy model? Any photos? I want to see how well it fits.

I want to see a shot of the Frontrunner Td5 installed in a 110- from above to see how well it spans the cargo area.

I've ordered some stuff from Frontrunner in CA and they are awesome to work with. Quick to ship and super professional. They have offered to have stuff from SA shipped here too.

-A
Old April 9th, 2016, 01:22 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Thanks Jeff.

Neither of those create a flat deck across the wheel arches. The front runner Td5 looks to be the best option for that- flat surface and drawer.
Old April 9th, 2016, 02:57 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Agreed. Without the risers, mine is just about flat (slightly lower) to the wheel wells in the tub.
Old April 9th, 2016, 05:33 PM
icnsltmfg
Adam
1988 D90 RHD 19J

Registry
How do you use the fold down jump seats...do you have to refab the front U hoop under each seat?

2017 Range Rover L405 HSE TD6
2008 Range Rover HSE L322/MkIII - Gone but not forgotten
1988 D90 County RHD 2.5TD
2015 Porsche Cayenne TD
Old April 9th, 2016, 05:51 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
there are several US retailers for front runner, including Front Runner USA. You can order anything from ZA through them.

Off-Road Vehicle Accessories, Roof Racks, Camping Gear - Front Runner

------ Follow up post added April 9th, 2016 05:51 PM ------

BTW, drawer system is one of the best mods for a D to deal with space management.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old April 9th, 2016, 06:15 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by icnsltmfg View Post
How do you use the fold down jump seats...do you have to refab the front U hoop under each seat?
I don't. It's an either/or thing. Right now the seats are in and the drawer in the garage.
Old April 9th, 2016, 06:48 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post

BTW, drawer system is one of the best mods for a D to deal with space management.
I'm really leaning towards buying or having a drawer built for the back of my truck. There isn't a lot of usable space in the back of a D90 with a dog back there. What drawer are you using?
Old April 9th, 2016, 07:04 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I just went out and did a quick measurement of my truck. It looks like the Frontrunner drawer for a Defender would interfere with the roll cage. I'm curious if it could be notched, but that'd be an expensive gamble for something that might not fit.

This should fit, but its Terra Firma, so the quality is probably quite poor.
Old April 9th, 2016, 09:04 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I'm not a fan of drawer systems. They waste a lot of space and the space near the floor is your most valuable--it's where you want your heaviest items to keep your COG low. I like cubby systems instead. I haven't built my next-gen storage system yet but this is the basic design:

The platform is built around an Engel 60 fridge and matches the fridge's height so that the fridge top becomes part of the platform. There is one small drawer at the rear to hold food and other things that need to be quickly accessible. The space further inside is divided into top-loadable cubbies. The ones closest to the rear of the truck will hold camping gear and extra food. The ones closest to the front of the truck are for tools and spares--heavy things--to keep the COG as centered and low as possible.

I have looked into aluminum construction and this is a consideration but I will probably just end up using baltic birch covered in commercial grade black carpet like I've used for all of my past cubbies and platforms. You get the carpet at Lowes and it's bomber. Mine has held up to years of abuse and still looks good. Carpet is adhered to the birch with contact cement. The top of the platform has Mac's low-profile anchor plates with detachable tie-down rings for when you want to strap down additional carrying cases or cargo on top.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old April 9th, 2016, 10:08 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post

I'm really leaning towards buying or having a drawer built for the back of my truck. There isn't a lot of usable space in the back of a D90 with a dog back there. What drawer are you using?
I made my own. very pleased with result after 3 generations

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old April 9th, 2016, 11:25 PM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
I was talking to Brian at http://www.goose-gear.com about making something like this for my 110 before I sold it they can make anything you want

BUY SOME HATS --->

Old April 10th, 2016, 08:07 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
I always admired this system. http://www.mantec.co.uk/productdetai...202EF90B419B55

Old April 10th, 2016, 08:09 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I seriously thought about getting one.
Even looked at the tuffy that was FS locally to me.

Couldn't get over the fact that once its installed, there is a utility of the truck that gets lost until its removed.
Old April 10th, 2016, 08:39 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
I'm not a fan of drawer systems. They waste a lot of space and the space near the floor is your most valuable--it's where you want your heaviest items to keep your COG low. I like cubby systems instead. I haven't built my next-gen storage system yet but this is the basic design:
I would tend to agree with you, but seeing as when my truck is loaded with gear, I have very little room in the back with the dog. The design of the tub isn't great for stacking items. Basically we end up with the cooler pushed all the way forward, then everything else shoved/strapped to the side. The tent, sleeping bags, ect. all end up on the roof in Pelican cases. I hate that the floor is not level in the D90.
Old April 10th, 2016, 02:42 PM
rwavers
Robert Wavers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
It's at my place in Napa, CA. San Diego isn't too terribly far. It could work out that somebody could RURR it. Let me know if want to go that direction, with the Tuffy that is ;-)
Any pictures of it installed? Did it cover the floor from the door to the rear bulkhead?

Thanks!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions