Load area drawer experience - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 10th, 2016, 04:06 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
I think a lot of the drawers are super cool, but widely overpriced. Besides, everything will be 1/2" too tall to fit. I was literally lying in bed this morning thinking about what I wanted to do. The LR-3 had a flat slide out platform option I desired. Not the car, but the platform. It added about 2" to the rear load area and slid out about 2/3rds of the length of the bed. That concept appeals to me, I just cannot find a source for the long, strong sliders. The rest is mainly nice birch plywood with a low nape outdoor carpet. I have what I seem to recall is a 1750 Pelican case that nicely fits in the load area nearly flush. It is just if I fill it up and try to lift it out, several vertebrae pop their disks and my groin instantly herniates. Ergo the desire for a sliding platform.

So anybody know where I can source some long strong sliders (please no aged White Castle burger jokes)?
Advertisement

Old April 10th, 2016, 04:14 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpilot View Post
I think a lot of the drawers are super cool, but widely overpriced. Besides, everything will be 1/2" too tall to fit. I was literally lying in bed this morning thinking about what I wanted to do. The LR-3 had a flat slide out platform option I desired. Not the car, but the platform. It added about 2" to the rear load area and slid out about 2/3rds of the length of the bed. That concept appeals to me, I just cannot find a source for the long, strong sliders. The rest is mainly nice birch plywood with a low nape outdoor carpet. I have what I seem to recall is a 1750 Pelican case that nicely fits in the load area nearly flush. It is just if I fill it up and try to lift it out, several vertebrae pop their disks and my groin instantly herniates. Ergo the desire for a sliding platform.

So anybody know where I can source some long strong sliders (please no aged White Castle burger jokes)?
I have learned the hard way over the years to completely avoid the sexy oversized containers exactly for that reason. And there is no reason to take on the excessive weight for containers that will be secured inside. with containers like Pelican's you take on alot of weight for the durability and protection of the cargo, which is appropriate for things like throwing in an open cargo bed. I've switched to drawer systems and wolf boxes. Shed alot of weight with that change in direction, and gained functionality by having things more modular.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old April 10th, 2016, 04:22 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
Again, the drawers are modular, but so many of my items just do not fit well into them, like my trinocular microscope or the survey transit. If I just camped and did't need to take my professional gear into the field drawers would work. The sliding platform gives me way more options without being limited to the set sizes of the drawer.
Advertisement

Old April 10th, 2016, 04:27 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Again, the drawers are modular, but so many of my items just do not fit well into them, like my trinocular microscope or the survey transit. If I just camped and did't need to take my professional gear into the field drawers would work. The sliding platform gives me way more options without being limited to the set sizes of the drawer.
I was referring to the oversized trunk containers, versus using more of the smaller, modular containers. the rollout flatbad for securely mounting small pelicans or wolf boxes is an excellent approach.

And the heavy duty sliders for DIY drawers are easy to source. I've seen them up to 4' long extensions and capability of supporting several hundred pounds. But they are also the most expensive part. plan to pay $150 to $200 per pair for the HD types. the pro drawer systems use the HD types that have the pushbutton release, so the drawers stay in position until you unlock them.

Old April 10th, 2016, 05:00 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
Yes those are the ones, seen them, just do not have a source that sells them. The rest of the project quails by comparison to sourcing the damm sliders. I certainly do not want to order a set from the Sino manufacturing complex as I could age out before they get here and shipping would be mildly hurtful. I did find a few wholesalers, but they seem not to like to respond to retail customers.
Old April 10th, 2016, 05:04 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Yes those are the ones, seen them, just do not have a source that sells them. The rest of the project quails by comparison to sourcing the damm sliders. I certainly do not want to order a set from the Sino manufacturing complex as I could age out before they get here and shipping would be mildly hurtful. I did find a few wholesalers, but they seem not to like to respond to retail customers.
what' length are you looking for?

------ Follow up post added April 10th, 2016 05:14 PM ------

you're going to want the Accuride 9307.
Available in even lengths 12"-36", 40", 42", 48", 60"
https://www.accuride.com/en-mx/products/9307

For a Defender full length cargo area, you're probably going to want a 40"
500lb LOCK IN LOCK OUT 40" FULL EXTENSION SLIDE. (pair)

Old April 10th, 2016, 05:19 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
I would have to go out to the hanger and measure. I penciled this out before, but I think my notes are out there as well. It is cold and sleeting here making me more attentive to my computer than normal. Seeing that my hanger is more suited to storing meat than humans when the weather is like this. Thank you for the link, sometimes you have to see what you can get and work backwards.
Old April 11th, 2016, 02:48 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
This is the one I drool over on the Frontrunner site:

Drawers With Sliding Top - Single Height / Double Width / 970mm Long
Old April 11th, 2016, 03:57 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias View Post
This is the one I drool over on the Frontrunner site:

Drawers With Sliding Top - Single Height / Double Width / 970mm Long
It says this one is 37" wide, you only have 36 1/2" between the wheel boxes, PLUS you need nearly 3" for the drawer to clear the rear door.

For under $200 I made my own and its great. (B777ONR) build tread

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old April 11th, 2016, 04:27 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
FWIW we stock the Frontrunner drawer system when we can. It's decently constructed and pricing is fair considering the size/weight of the carton. That said I'm in the camp of a universal slide solution with various small to medium boxes that can be hand carrier when fully loaded...
Old April 11th, 2016, 06:47 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverman2010 View Post
It says this one is 37" wide, you only have 36 1/2" between the wheel boxes, PLUS you need nearly 3" for the drawer to clear the rear door.

For under $200 I made my own and its great. (B777ONR) build tread
I still want it. I didn't say it would fit.

You did a nice job on yours. It would be a mess if I tried to build one for my truck.
Old April 19th, 2016, 09:33 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
I'm not a fan of drawer systems. They waste a lot of space and the space near the floor is your most valuable--it's where you want your heaviest items to keep your COG low.
I can see why you don't like drawer systems after seeing this monstrosity. Tell me more about your cubby system design. My primary goal is a level rear cargo area.
Old July 4th, 2016, 08:42 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Here's my dual drawer system with dual slide out shelves. Both drawers and shelves come out and the box can be utilized as a platform and gear or boxes stored below. With the ability to configure it how I want, I don't feel like I am compromising on weight or space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2800165072.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	377.4 KB
ID:	153105   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1595348065.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	445.5 KB
ID:	153106  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1978168210.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	471.5 KB
ID:	153107   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2028012023.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	471.8 KB
ID:	153108  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions