Load area camping setups - lets see them - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 1st, 2015, 01:52 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriAnn View Post
Exactly. My truck is set up for single camping with a giant breed dog. But I thought others might get some ideas that might apply to their situation.

Right now I am working on the chapter of my overlanding book covering choosing a vehicle platform for overlanding. The one behind it will be on modifying a truck for overlanding which for some people would be just adding convenient tie downs and a second battery to run the fridge. Other people will need to decide the best location for the shower in their deuce and a half conversion.

And yes a lot of what you stated in your earlier post is critical. And of course you need the design buy in from everyone who will be making those long overlanding trips.

I noticed that you have given overlanding a lot of thought from the direction of taking a family and you live at the opposite end of the country. Would you be interested in becoming one of my book reviewer's? If yes contact me offline

tjwakeman@gmail.com

and we can discuss this.

Take care,
I'd be honored to!

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 1st, 2015, 10:47 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Mark,
i like your ideas on requirements setting - it is basically what i was doing

so to answer..

How many people traveling? 1 normally, 2 occasionally (child either 5 or 9 yrs old currently)
How long will you camp for 80% of your trips? If 2 people 1-2 days/site (weekend trips), else 1 person 5-7 nights at different sites, some completely primitive (i.e. side of road, nat park, etc)
Will other vehicles usually be going on your trips? 0 to 1, it depends setup is to be self contained for my truck only with "some" room for communal gear.
What is the minimum comforts required of your usual suspect passengers? thankfully not too much, 1 small bag for clothes (usually 2 outfits and an extra coat/hat), 1 small bag for stuffed animals, iPad, books, etc - rides up front with my daughter(s). Me i have a small bag for clothes, jacket. Other than that we have some always in the truck gear (Binoc's, radios, flashlights and a small fishing setup for 1)

Dale - you have some good points: after i installed the fridge outlet today in the rear of the 90, i loaded my normal camping gear boxes (all Wolf packs)
#1 - Kitchen (2 pots w/lids, strainer), saute pan, tongs, chopstix, spatula, plates/bowls (usually 4 of each or less if just me), wash bin, soap, spices, utensils and some odds and inns.

#2 - general Camp gear: paper towels, trash bags, 2 led lanterns (one large, one small), batteries, TP, sun shower (has a separate dry bag it stuffs into) 2 propane canisters, 1 hand held blow torch ignighter head for use with them as well.

#3 - dry goods - food.

#4 - empty presently (i may use this for tools, and spares that are kept in other bags below presently)

Tool/spare bag - medium size (cap/rotor, plugs, o2 sensors, spare ecu, aicu, belts and other bits but that is the focus of it, sockets/wrenches, screw drivers, short breaker bar, hammer i need to upgrade) mechanic gloves.

recovery bag - pulley, 2 shackles, tree saver, pull strap, dampener, heavy gloves (may ditch these and just use the above set)

Dry bag for sleeping gear. pillow/bag & Mat

1-2 Front runner chairs

Stove (right now runs on the alb propane bottles) - we will be replaced.

*Right Now* i'm in a Oz RV-5 ground tent - this is going to move to full family duty (i.e. close local campsites when all 4 of us are going or the kids bring friends, etc)

but it is what i have and i need to keep it for the above.

So that brings with it - 1- 2 cots - Oz Stretchers - which are big, bulky, and comfortable - but gotta go for what i am doing.

I'm going to order a RTT soon - which eliminates the ground tent issues and equipment.
Also an awning is on order

Suspect things:
Roll top table - Alps big one, goes on the roof, made with ok materials but its a 1-2 season expendable thing - it will get replaced with a table mounted under the rack hopefully (at least that is the plan right now)

stove needs to be replaced - and Ash i see the reasoning behind the small tank - i'll probably go with a 5lb and refill.. except when headed to expo where, i'll bring a 20b just in case we need to prevent late night switches.

When i looked at all the stuff there was still a bunch of room ... for example more water (i have 5gal presently in a jerry can) - under the truck there are a few possible spaces but in reality i probably won't bother with that since its a 90 soft top. But i'm thinking the roof is better for a 10gal tank when needed and gravity feed it.

i'm pretty merciless on pairing down stuff that i don't use.

Back to load solutions - I want to minimize the # of holes i put in the load space and would really like to add the combo slide to the rear.. so current plan is to bolt in a 3/4 sealed plywood floor mount to that - keep the slide low and reuse the existing rear seat bolt locations with 2-4 more added for support. i use the side sills for dry bag storage and floor besides the fridge for wolf boxes (same as when i had the yeti in the back), propane mounting is an issue with a left side setup of the fridge/slide combo and probably the JK partner stove from AT. I'll have to experiment.

extra gas (8 gal) is going on the rear tire mount via rotopax and an exo-rack, hi-lift is on the ARB.

Current thinking... It will evolve.. Lucky i do not need the 90 for DD duty any longer, and i'm going to store the rear seat so change over moves to "sometimes, maybe not ever category" Nor do i need to allow for scuba in the truck any longer which really limits your options when carrying a cave diving setup (about 500 lbs of gear for one person).

I am trying to keep it in check though since i am going to get a trailer which will permanently mount all the above gear (except recovery and tools) and allow for the that clean 10 min setup/tear down, provide a basecamp, and allow for 4 up traveling with any of my rigs (also i need it for diving and it needs to be secure so i am ruling out a standard trailer/rtt combo. The RTT i am getting will be on a roof rack on the teardrop and be left behind depending on needs).

Eventually i'm ponding a wheelbase change in the 90 to something longer - but we'll see since that needs to come with an engine switch (V8's are great but range is a limiter).. just more parts need to be added is all.

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old March 2nd, 2015, 12:13 AM
Ignotus
gene
1960 109, w/200TDI

Lots of good comments about thinking and designing for what you want/need. When I first got an 88 and was married we used to take trips, 2 weeks to the Pacific North West and long weekends to the Black Rock Desert. Heck our honeymoon to the Grand Canyon was in the 88.

I wanted to be able to sleep in the tub but obviously it is not long enough, my solution was to take a piece of 1/2" ply and cut a section to fit the tub, on this at the door I hinged another section to flip out and bee the "foot". On the foot I installed pipe flanges and had 2-piece sections of pipe, one would slide into the other. I could screw into the flange and using a thumbscrew level the foot section. My bride designed and sewed a canvas "tent" which I clamped while camped to the inside of the door frame and to the foot which it overhung. She also made curtains which were just threaded over a long spring.

At the time I had a bolt on roll bar in the tub bolted thru the wheelwells. To this we affixed our backpacks, mine on one side hers on the other. There was a 3"x6' foam pad (we are talking 1976) rolled up and stowed behind the seat bulkhead. The rest of the gear was in various cardboard boxes and tool boxes.

It was quick, easy, private, simple.

Lots of us take too much stuff, can you live on backpacking food for a week? Then you just need to bring the bags of food, water and a Kelly Kettle. Really need that fridge? How about a cooler, pre freeze everything you can and put dry ice in it, we spent a week at Black Rock that way in July.

As others have mentioned it is a PITA to have to set up and take down camp every day when you are on an outing, unless you have simplified things. With small/young children that usually means you will be doing all the chores, make it easy on yourself, KISS.

I just got an RTT for my 109, I have set it up 3 times, all by myself, I think I have it down to about 15 min, sheesh! quicker to do a ground tent.

So KISS and try to think outside the box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PD_0012-001.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	114993   Click image for larger version

Name:	PD_0072.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	114994  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PD_0073.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	114995  
Blog;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2015, 02:11 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I am a camping minimalist. I really dislike trailers because they make desert exploration very difficult--if you end up two miles down a track at a dead end, you're either doing a long reverse or destroying fragile cryptobiotic soils trying to turn it around. They also suck in tight corners and make cakewalk trails like Utah's Elephant Hill a pain in the ass for you and everyone behind you.

My much preferred setup is a cargo board or board+cubby system for the tub of the truck, taking only what I can fit in there. I use baltic birch plywood and carpet it using industrial black carpet (Lowe's), secured with contact cement and a few stainless steel staples. I use M8 grade 8 to tie it to the tub.

My tools+spares, my camping+kitchen gear, and most of my food goes in Pelican cases. I use Mac's tie-down loops and ratchet straps to secure them. Clothes go in a soft dufflebag that rides in the passenger footwell or in the back. I can fit a proper set of field tools, critical spares, a tent and sleeping bags, a camp kitchen, food and water for two for a week, extra fuel, plus some firewood in the back of a D90 like this.

When I was in my old D90, my extra fuel got strapped down as well. I moved to an ex-MOD 110 and one of my reasons for that choice was the two fuel can lockers that hold 2 NATO cans apiece.

My fridge goes on an Engle slide-lock. I might buy a slide for it someday.

The very best part about having a 110 and using a simple cargo floor is that I can pull all of the crap out and sleep in the tub. It's a tight fit and it might be improved with a raised platform above the cargo but it's great even without that. You stay dry inside the truck and it's very quiet in there.

Hotel Snell by Defender90, on Flickr

The unfortunate truth is that there's just not much you can do with a D90, especially a ST. At best, you're either pulling a trailer (ugh) or sleeping in a ground tent.

Here's my old D90 setup:

IMG_0164 by Defender90, on Flickr

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
/
Old April 8th, 2015, 07:47 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

First weekend out this year.. Observations

Still 1/2 of the stuff I brought was not used (tools/spares are ok) so the cuts begin, everything except for clothes fits in 3 wolf boxes (including dry food)
Oz tent on the roof along with a table
Other observations...
Partner stoves are great, we also brought the weber q grill which is too big, and frankly if it was't a weekend it would not come anyway, every thing can be done on the stove normally.

A small propane tank is fine for probably a weeks worth of cooking if used sparingly

My snow peak fire pit/grill setup has sat in the garage since first use (but has another use so it stays just not camping unless we're primitive at uwharrie, and maybe not there either since there is no fire ban.

More thoughts after the uwharrie Safari..

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old April 8th, 2015, 08:18 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
I am a camping minimalist. I really dislike trailers because they make desert exploration very difficult--if you end up two miles down a track at a dead end, you're either doing a long reverse or destroying fragile cryptobiotic soils trying to turn it around. They also suck in tight corners and make cakewalk trails like Utah's Elephant Hill a pain in the ass for you and everyone behind you.

My much preferred setup is a cargo board or board+cubby system for the tub of the truck, taking only what I can fit in there. I use baltic birch plywood and carpet it using industrial black carpet (Lowe's), secured with contact cement and a few stainless steel staples. I use M8 grade 8 to tie it to the tub.

My tools+spares, my camping+kitchen gear, and most of my food goes in Pelican cases. I use Mac's tie-down loops and ratchet straps to secure them. Clothes go in a soft dufflebag that rides in the passenger footwell or in the back. I can fit a proper set of field tools, critical spares, a tent and sleeping bags, a camp kitchen, food and water for two for a week, extra fuel, plus some firewood in the back of a D90 like this.

When I was in my old D90, my extra fuel got strapped down as well. I moved to an ex-MOD 110 and one of my reasons for that choice was the two fuel can lockers that hold 2 NATO cans apiece.

My fridge goes on an Engle slide-lock. I might buy a slide for it someday.

The very best part about having a 110 and using a simple cargo floor is that I can pull all of the crap out and sleep in the tub. It's a tight fit and it might be improved with a raised platform above the cargo but it's great even without that. You stay dry inside the truck and it's very quiet in there.

Hotel Snell by Defender90, on Flickr

The unfortunate truth is that there's just not much you can do with a D90, especially a ST. At best, you're either pulling a trailer (ugh) or sleeping in a ground tent.

Here's my old D90 setup:

IMG_0164 by Defender90, on Flickr
A man after my own heart. Can you fit an adequate number of adventure pants and hats in a 110? Surely you need an adventure trailer for that.
Old April 8th, 2015, 08:25 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
So here's the setup in one of my more recent builds...
Nice setup.

If you pull out the fridge, does it interfere with heat from the stove and/or pots/pans on the stove?

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old April 23rd, 2015, 09:42 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

After URE my list got both longer and shorter..

Next up.. Troy boxes for both sides

Drawer is eliminated from consideration (too heavy and move the fridge too high..

More soft luggage and a trailer... Which will shoulder all the load minus the fridge and spares
Wolf boxes move to the trailer
Minus of a trailer is on a trail and backing it down becomes a physics problem.

I did another gear cull though (supporting 4 people) plus a list of adds/swaps

Water is an issue only if showers are involved and solo (it was cool though so not a true indicator)

Pretty much it's going to be 2 soft bags ( 1 clothes/personal) and 1 recovery and 3 wolf boxes (camp,kitchen,dry food)
A chair and the partner stove...
Fuel and water tbd - I have cross bars which I was planning only for temp firewood storage but may need to move fuel up there as well. I am not going to put on a full rack.

------ Follow up post added April 23rd, 2015 06:44 PM ------

I won't get a trailer till after this summer.. I'll spend my time out optimizing since even with one I don't want extra crap

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old April 23rd, 2015, 09:51 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlynch356 View Post
After URE my list got both longer and shorter..

Next up.. Troy boxes for both sides

Drawer is eliminated from consideration (too heavy and move the fridge too high..

More soft luggage and a trailer... Which will shoulder all the load minus the fridge and spares
Wolf boxes move to the trailer
Minus of a trailer is on a trail and backing it down becomes a physics problem.

I did another gear cull though (supporting 4 people) plus a list of adds/swaps

Water is an issue only if showers are involved and solo (it was cool though so not a true indicator)

Pretty much it's going to be 2 soft bags ( 1 clothes/personal) and 1 recovery and 3 wolf boxes (camp,kitchen,dry food)
A chair and the partner stove...
Fuel and water tbd - I have cross bars which I was planning only for temp firewood storage but may need to move fuel up there as well. I am not going to put on a full rack.

------ Follow up post added April 23rd, 2015 06:44 PM ------

I won't get a trailer till after this summer.. I'll spend my time out optimizing since even with one I don't want extra crap
Every expedition is practice...trailers will come up for sale off season on the east coast...
Old April 23rd, 2015, 10:09 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Yup.. I need to have my slush fund in order since I missed 2 AT horizons this winter..

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old April 23rd, 2015, 10:23 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlynch356 View Post
Yup.. I need to have my slush fund in order since I missed 2 AT horizons this winter..
Don't forget that AT always has a line on used AT...and then there is always the Skankey Sankey home grown rigs.
Old November 29th, 2015, 08:42 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

bring this back to life... After a couple more trips..
I cut a lot of the gear and frankly 2 of the wolf boxes now.. Kitchen goes in a gate mouth type bag and only dry food lives in the wolf box (now the only one).

Hard top is scheduled for Dec 12th - (D90 tops).

one Troy box is for the truck, with Tools, Spares, jumpers, and soon to have the stock jack and the stock tool kit since it will have to move to make room for the dual battery setup i believe. Also has some extra fluids for the truck.
The other Troy is open storage - this may end up being the "camp kit" kitchen, and other bits.

Once the Hard top is on, then i will add in the saddle tank (+ 8 Gal, making the total 24 gal and ~ 300 miles range) and the roof rack.
Extra Fuel will go on top (2x Septer MFC), should give me ~ 400 mile range with the option to add 2 more.

sleeping quarters... hard to beat a Roof Top tent.. which means a Rack, and then the 5LB propane tank can move to the right side ladder.

Every Thing else will be in soft bags inside or in a netting system on the roof attached to the roll cage.
I am going to add Macs Cargo tracking to the load area (3 strips running front to rear).

it's amazing what you don't need

The 90 is back to daily driver status as i ditched the jeep so i need to keep the rear seat for school runs and general living everything else either needs to be out of the way or modular. Thankfully i can pull the rear seat and all mounting brackets in about 10 minutes.

water storage is being sorted out.. for 1-2 up travel i can place a 60L water tank behind the roll cage bar and run that to a spigot or off board shower (Lodi) setup.

Grill is TDB.. but will be some form of campfire setup

it continues..

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old November 29th, 2015, 11:19 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I've been thinking a lot about this lately. I've now spent over a month of nights sleeping in the back of the truck and I'm learning more about what I want. Some friends and I have been working on designs for a sleeping platform/storage area. I'm pretty much settled on selling my Engel 45 and purchasing a new Engel 60 which is wider and a little longer but almost 4" shorter. I want to mount the E60 on a slide-out tray at the DS rear of the tub, on the tub floor. I will then build a combination platform/cubby system that matches the height of the Engel. Thus, the fridge becomes part of the sleeping platform, giving me more than enough room to stretch out--I'm 6'1".

The cabinet/platform will likely be built from aluminum to save on weight. I'll divide it into compartments; some of those will be further subdivided into storage cubbies to hold things like camping and kitchen gear, and extra food. Cubbies will have hinged lids for access from above. There will be one drawer at the back to hold quick-access food for lunches and snacks. Underneath the drawer, I'll have a cubby sized to my '64 Coleman white gas stove--no propane here. There should be enough space between the wheel wells and the sleeping platform to stash an Eberspaecher heater.

I'll have a compartment for a fresh water tank. I'll probably get one fabricated from food-grade stainless steel. Keeping a fresh water store in the truck provides a double-benefit: my water no longer freezes in the external fuel lockers and I'll be able to carry four cans of fuel in those lockers. That gives me nearly 900 miles of range on what I can carry--completely impossible in a D90.

Something like this:

/
/
/
/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions