List Challenge - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 23rd, 2007, 09:18 AM
ducksps
Christopher David
1973 109in turbo diesel

Smile List Challenge

The wife bitched and I responded. The Porsche is too small for a family car and something was needed in case her soccer mom truck was busy. Maintaining my spot as supportive dad I suggested to her I purchase a Land Rover. She was beside herself with joy in anticipation of another sensible car. So impressed in fact I am allowed to keep the 911.

The cold response I received on the morning of the 23rd of December when she woke to find me washing the truck was surprising. First words from her, “when the F*** was that unearthed”. Perhaps she expected something newer with AC. So long as she never takes inventory in the gun safe I can dance around these minor miscommunications.

So now I have a great truck that is making me happy. I love working on anything mechanical and this adult ADD Lego set is perfect. I do have some questions and present a challenge to the group; what the hell is this thing? I posted some pictures on my web page and am happy to answer any question, take pictures, and look for part numbers. You’re helping me and I will do my part.

The Chassis is 1973 Series III RHD

Engine says 19j but has an intercooler?

L77 tranny

Coil suspension

Disk Brakes

pictures on my website at www.netgoose.com

Regards and looking forward to learning from ya’ll,

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 23rd, 2007, 11:52 AM
Monkeyboy

Oh My ... where to start ...

Series vehicles weren't coil sprung ... looks a little on the rusty side ... is that a 2.25 Turbo Diesel? ... Defender seats? Is the rear door really split, or is that just paint ? Where's the steering box? Trans tunnel looks like there's an LT230 under there ...

Yikes, it looks like you might be spending some spare time in the garage soon... oh, and "sensible car" and "Land Rover" are rarely used in the same sentence

KAA
ex Duc rider...
Old January 23rd, 2007, 12:14 PM
ducksps
Christopher David
1973 109in turbo diesel

yeppers, garage work but she drives nice

Yep the engine is a 2.5 Turbo Diesel with 19j***** on the engine block. The turbo intercooler has me stumped. The transfer case is a 230 1.4 but I have no idea which axles I own. The car had a coil and disk brake conversion. Correct on defender seats and the rear door is two piece.

I had no illusion on sensible but the wife must have been expecting a NEW Land Rover.

Anyone need a ducati?

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 23rd, 2007, 12:21 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Armstrong

Yikes, it looks like you might be spending some spare time in the garage soon... oh, and "sensible car" and "Land Rover" are rarely used in the same sentence

KAA
ex Duc rider...
Unless it is "Why don't you sell that Land Rover and buy a sensible car". Boy if I had a doller for every time heard that...

...I could probably do that motor swap I have been thinking about.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 02:06 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

You have a SIII that I believe to be about 1973 that someone has welded coil mounts on (it is a series chassis based on the appearance of the rear cross member), installed early range rover axles (can tell by the backward facing rear shock on one side) and what purports to be the drivetrain out of a late 1980s defender. They installed a stage I V8 front end and hood (or a D90 hood). The intercooler for a Diesel Turbo was an after market addition.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 07:21 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
Love that stage one wire screen grill!!

Id say spruce up the interior a bit so the wife is a bit less turned off by the thought of being inside it, and get it running as smooth as possible, but above all, have fun with it!!! This is the KTM continent crosser for the whole family!! Set it up to camp out in the back..
~Steve
Old January 24th, 2007, 01:08 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

It sounds like your drivetrain is somewhat newish so if it were mine, I'd start with a frame swap, but obviously that's really just the beginning. The rust on those shock mounts looks really scary. I'm not sure that I'd drive children in that thing just yet.

My friend Sean on the South Texas Rovers forums is working on a similar project in San Antonio. You might drop him a line for some ideas.

Keep us posted!

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old January 24th, 2007, 03:17 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

BTW, how much did it run you?

and that coffin car is the sweetest of all time! well, except maybe for this.

/
/
/
/
Old January 24th, 2007, 10:33 AM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin
BTW, how much did it run you?

and that coffin car is the sweetest of all time! well, except maybe for this.

Hahaha Nekroman. I played with that exact bass once.
Old January 24th, 2007, 11:39 AM
ducksps
Christopher David
1973 109in turbo diesel

thanks fella's

The frame rails and shock mounts are in really good shape but rust has claimed the outriggers. The plan was never to cart the family only divert the wifes attention while I searched for a Rover. I paid 8,400 for the contraption and don't feel I have done horribly. She runs well and has all the parts.

So adding a new chassis I should use a Defender frame? Where is a good place to buy the frame and which options do I want? Thinking of dropping a TDI 200 engine in during the swap since I have all the other bits and the extra power would be nice. My 19j falls in the range with the bad cases prone to coolant leaks between cyclinders. Making this swap more of a concern.

Chris
Old January 24th, 2007, 12:09 PM
evilfij
evilfij

A 200Tdi 110 chassis should be substantiall similar to what you have there. The transmission will bolt right up to a 200Tdi.
Old January 24th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Lucasd2002
David Lucas
[VACANT]

you can buy a new galvanized 109 chassis with provisions for coils from ECR... but it would not be cheap

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/coilsprung.html
Old January 24th, 2007, 05:54 PM
sean
sean dreher

it would be easier to buy the 109 frame with coil mounts, than to cut a 110 frame up and re-weld it, or trying to stretch a 90 frame.
Old January 24th, 2007, 06:05 PM
ducksps
Christopher David
1973 109in turbo diesel

what would be the part that would not fit?

Since I already have a great deal of Defender running gear am I to assume the body would be the trouble spot?
Old January 24th, 2007, 06:07 PM
sean
sean dreher

i could be wrong but i don't think the body mounts are in the correct location for a series body. if you feel comforable cutting off the outriggers and moving them plus cutting and rewelding the frame so the wheel base lines up with the 109, you may be able to save a little money.
Old January 25th, 2007, 10:35 AM
evilfij
evilfij

"you can buy a new galvanized 109 chassis with provisions for coils from ECR... but it would not be cheap"

NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!

A 110 frame has the same body mounts as a 109 frame. If he buys a coil 109 frame he has the issue that none of the rad stuff or steering is in the right place. And a designa 109 coil frame is about the same price as a proper 110 frame.

Shoot some pics of the front of that frame and the radiator for me and I can tell you what the guy who hacked it together did.

edit: a 109 body and a 110 body are basically the same other than the flares and the inherently larger cut outs for them. There are some other differences like the way the inner fenders work etc. but dimensionally they are nearly identical and you can put a 110 body on a 109 frame and vice versa. (note this does not work with D90s and 88s)
Old January 25th, 2007, 10:38 AM
ducksps
Christopher David
1973 109in turbo diesel

I'll add more pictures tonight

I take a bunch of photos and add them this evening. All of this input is wonderful.

Thanks,
Chris
Old January 25th, 2007, 01:52 PM
evilfij
evilfij

From what I can tell, it looks like the guy used the series III steering and radiator. This is why, I believe, you do not have a proper mechanical fan on that thing.

Given that the previous owner as already hacked it together, you could use a coil 109 frame. BUT to me you are better off with the 110 frame. In addition to what you have now, you will also need a RRC steel fuel tank (same as the 110 tank), cradle for it, a proper 110/90 radiator and new hoses. On the steering side you need a LHD box, colum, P/S pump, wheel etc.
Old January 25th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Lucasd2002
David Lucas
[VACANT]

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
"you can buy a new galvanized 109 chassis with provisions for coils from ECR... but it would not be cheap"

NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!

A 110 frame has the same body mounts as a 109 frame. If he buys a coil 109 frame he has the issue that none of the rad stuff or steering is in the right place. And a designa 109 coil frame is about the same price as a proper 110 frame.

Shoot some pics of the front of that frame and the radiator for me and I can tell you what the guy who hacked it together did.

edit: a 109 body and a 110 body are basically the same other than the flares and the inherently larger cut outs for them. There are some other differences like the way the inner fenders work etc. but dimensionally they are nearly identical and you can put a 110 body on a 109 frame and vice versa. (note this does not work with D90s and 88s)
I didn't realize the bodies were so similar. I'd imagine a 110 chassis would be cheaper and easier to find than a 109 coil-ready frame, right?
Old January 25th, 2007, 03:36 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Well, I guess.

I doubt there is either a 200Tdi 110 chassis or a designa 109 coil chassis in the US that is for sale.

My 110 galvanized chassis is actually a designa 109 SW coil chassis, but it has some interesting modifications that make it half way between a 109 and a 110 chassis.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions