List Challenge - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 25th, 2007, 11:19 PM
ducksps
Christopher David
1973 109in turbo diesel

no pictures will post tonight

I'm beat. Went to take pictures but in the process I had to twist there, tighten here, and clean over in that area.

Oh well, the fan is electric and not running from any drive belt. The intercooler is shoved in the area next to it.

Some numbers off the truck follow;

engine right side of block 19J246626

transfer case 1.4 4331

tranny 50A0303318F >>> 5 SPEED high/low range and if moved let locking high/low

rear diff 219637

turbo 466842-2

Rear shocks OME N46
front shocks Monroe but misplaced number. When I searched the number in the past it matched a range rover on Padock's. Could I have Range Rover axles?\\

Having fun fella's
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 26th, 2007, 10:32 AM
ducksps
Christopher David
1973 109in turbo diesel

Defender 110 Chassis

George at Rovers Down South has some 110 Defender chassis' in route. I believe I'm going to have a new frame soon. Any caution or concern?

Chris
Old January 26th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Chris,
George at RDS is a great guy and straight arrow to deal with...knows a lot bout piecing together rovers...good luck and keep us posted
George
Chicago
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 1st, 2007, 12:54 PM
ducksps
Christopher David
1973 109in turbo diesel

Drove the snot out of her and more questions

I took the rover for its first LONG drive yesterday. I drove 25 miles across Houston to a client, hour cool down, thirty miles, another cool, wrapping with thirty miles home. She ran fine but the idle has increased significantly.

She has not been driven for more than a few miles on the freeway till now and I have some questions; I tossed in some ATF in the diesel and diesel clean on recomendation from my local mechanic to clean and lube the fuel system. On the final leg hom I noticed idle has increased a good bit. Would this be a function of injectors being cleared effecting idle or something else? I took the truck to by ice cream late last night and the idle is still very elevated. I will adjust the idle speed today but am extremly curious. I am still on my first tank of fuel with the truck and do not believe she has seen much service in the past few years.

Thanks,
Chris
Old February 1st, 2007, 01:56 PM
Doug Crowther
Doug Crowther
94SW,4.6HSE,93LWB,83 110

Have you changed the fuel filter yet ? Diesels like clean fuel. The big diesels in my boat idle way low when the racor filters need changing. The "conditioner" you poured in may have emulsified some crap in the filter and now the fuel delivery is less restricted.
Old February 1st, 2007, 02:19 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Crowther
Have you changed the fuel filter yet ? Diesels like clean fuel. The big diesels in my boat idle way low when the racor filters need changing. The "conditioner" you poured in may have emulsified some crap in the filter and now the fuel delivery is less restricted.
Agreed I would change all the filters anyway... although ususally clogged diesel filters result in an odd spudder or stall.
You could try some "diesel purge". Google it and you will find a write up.
Have you run a compression test?
Also try the Italian tune up...

If I were you I would try to find a 110 frame and rear axle (sals), and mabye a front one too depending on the rust issue. It seems like Mike @ ECR aways has axles sitting around.
Old February 1st, 2007, 03:23 PM
ducksps
Christopher David
1973 109in turbo diesel

more info

I changed all fluids when I purchased the truck minus the diesel related and air which are in route. The drive yesterday was an Italian tuneup with the pedal on the floor for each segment. Top speed increased from 61 to 63 by end of day using GPS. 110 frame is in route but will wait on axles as these appear to be fine.

Thanks folks,
Chris
Old February 1st, 2007, 03:32 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

"110 frame is in route but will wait on axles as these appear to be fine."

What spec frame did you buy? If you are keeping the current engine and more importantly transmission set up you NEED a 200Tdi spec or 2.5 N/A or 2.5 Diesel Turbo frame NOT a V8, TD5, or 300Tdi frame.

At best, she is likley running hot from that crap series III radiator on there.

You will want to get a proper later axle with both shocks in front of the axle so you do not have to drill the frame. Depending if the current wheelbase is 109 (my guess) or 110, you might need to lengthen the driveshaft. Ideallyyou want to go to a salisbury rear end. Lots of stuff to consider, but it will all sort out if you thought it through.

You definately will need new rear springs and spring seats for the 110 chassis as they are wider than what you have on there now.

You will need some serious help with this project. Give us some more details on what you want to accomplish and what moneys you have to burn.
Old February 1st, 2007, 03:53 PM
Monkeyboy

As reasoned and sensible as Ron's comments are ... I love the "Italian Tune-Up" reference ...

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program ...

KAA
Old February 1st, 2007, 07:19 PM
ducksps
Christopher David
1973 109in turbo diesel

a problem solved

Elevated idle solved immediatly after opening hood; the throttle return spring had broken.

I am taking the truck to an EXCELLENT welder this weekend to look over the frame and see if I should purchase and repair current or buy new. Randy Porter is a straight shooter so I will have an honest answer. The frame I will buy if needed is a 110 chassis from George at "Rovers Down South".

How would we go about identifying my current axles? Moeny available is any that circumvents the wife. Gun safe full and adding another safe would ad too much attention so the rover is the project.

Regards,
Chris
Old February 2nd, 2007, 09:34 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I think I mentioned it, but the axles you have (at least the rear one for sure) are off of a grey market range rover from 1970 to 1985ish. The only way that there would be rear discs and the shock mounted to the rear on the one side.

Make sure George gets you a 200Tdi or 2.5 frame not a 300Tdi frame. Buy galvanized!!!!!! Not painted.

Ron
Old February 7th, 2007, 02:02 AM
ducksps
Christopher David
1973 109in turbo diesel

Frame appears good for now

I took the Rover to a GOOD metal fellow with lots of auto experience to boot. He suggested I replace the outriggers and wait on the frame. I am having a third opinion when I have the new outriggers mounted but feel confident for the near term.

Plan now is to get the old diesel running perfectly and update the body. Any hints on headliners. My seats are already defender and I plan toleave those alone for a while. Replacing doors with Defender doors has my attention so any clues in that area would be great.

I plan to attend the Houston Rover shin-dig tomorrow and see what else I can learn.

Thanks,
Chris
Old May 11th, 2007, 01:02 PM
ducksps
Christopher David
1973 109in turbo diesel

still in progress

Arrhhhgg,

I replaced the reverse light indicator using a test light and all was fine UNTIL; I GOT STUCK. The truck popped out of reverse and continues to do so. THings are better after loosening the reverse light indicator switch a GREAT deal but the problem is still around

My 2.5 Turbo Diesel is running better with new filters and more so after a tank of 50% bio-diesel. I now see 64.6mph on the GPS. She still smokes on startup and I still need to do a compression test. How do I do the compression test? I have adapters for my gauge for may differing plug sizes but want to be careful.

Between the low top speed, reverse issue, and project lust I'm curious where a complete tdi engine and tranny may be?

DOH, anyone need a Ducati,
Chris

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions