Linkage - gear box shot ? My 1st time (pop!) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 9th, 2008, 11:57 AM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Linkage - gear box shot ? My 1st time (pop!)

My gearbox seems to have dropped.
Drove home last night. 5th gear was a bit strange, would not engage on the first try. If I re-engaged 4th, then the clutch and shift to 5th - in it goes. I did note the play on 4th and 5th (especially 5th) was much more than usual. Still, no issues with any gear -no sounds, no grinding, no nothing but open space! It left me thinking things were getting loose in the box as it has 86,000 miles on it.

This morning - started up the truck and could not get into reverse. Went to 1st, no issue but shifting felt really strange. Immediately tried 2nd, 3rd and NOTHING! Short of it, 1st is the only gear that will engage. No slick spots, leakage under the truck. Itt feels as if the box is just empty. So,

what do you think happened (Gremlins struck over night)?
I assume there is no easy fix?

As there are no local shops in my zip 91362 other than a LR dealership (can not afford that), this will be my first endevour into the gear box. What am I looking for? What should I read to help me? And to which Defender god/s do I pray?
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2008, 12:30 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Well, make sure the box has something wrong with it. Drop it, play with it while it is off the truck, look inside (you might even be able to look inside while on the truck, can't remember if there is a cover easily accessible) and see if something looks out of line in there.
If you don't want to fix it, then get a replacement one (used or rebuilt) and swap it.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old January 9th, 2008, 12:35 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
If the truck isnt a daily, fedex the box to Rob Dassler for a rebuild, and put it right back in. Do you have the LT77? The LT77 in my 110 has really bad synchros, but I dont know what makes them "go" all at once. For some reason the r380 is considered an upgrade, but I dont know of a fault with the LT77 except its a little more clunky and truck-like.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2008, 12:45 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

You sheered the 5th/reverse shaft. Happens somewhat frequently. Guy a dweb had the same thing happen. Do a search in the defender section.

sorry . . . .

edit as he has 1576, he had an R380 from the factory.
Old January 9th, 2008, 02:05 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
If the truck isnt a daily, fedex the box to Rob Dassler for a rebuild, and put it right back in. Do you have the LT77? The LT77 in my 110 has really bad synchros, but I dont know what makes them "go" all at once. For some reason the r380 is considered an upgrade, but I dont know of a fault with the LT77 except its a little more clunky and truck-like.
I think I was told that the LT77 1st gear share pinions with the reverse gear and for that reason is prone to "quicker" wear. But then.... My father's 110 has close to 150K miles and still the original gearbox and T-Case.
From the user point of view, no possible mix up 1st / reverse gear with the R380.
Wasn't the R380 helping with the input/output shaft wear (gearbox - T-Case) issue that would happen with the LT77 if you did not overfill it a little?
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old January 21st, 2008, 02:46 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

How does find Rob Dassler for a tranny rebuild?
Any LA area owners - is there a shop in LA County or Ventura county who can do this?
Old January 21st, 2008, 03:25 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Pull it yourself and mail it to rob. Or pull it yourself and rebuild it yourself.
Old January 21st, 2008, 06:23 PM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

Before you pull the whole tranny remove the tunnel cover and remove the cover for the linkage.

The LT-77 has a small set screw which connects the shift lever to the selector and it can back out leaving you stuck in one gear.
Old January 21st, 2008, 06:28 PM
evilfij
evilfij

He has an R380!
Old January 21st, 2008, 06:44 PM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
He has an R380!

I just looked at image AHCFKA1A of the linkage assembly in microcat and i can still see the potential for a similar problem.
Old January 21st, 2008, 07:07 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb
How does find Rob Dassler for a tranny rebuild?
Any LA area owners - is there a shop in LA County or Ventura county who can do this?
West Coast Rovers in Irvine. Eddie is a great guy. Tell him I sent you.

But check the linkage first. It can back off far enough to cause this, so its worth checking.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions