Lining up distributor and oil pump shaft - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 3rd, 2007, 06:20 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Lining up distributor and oil pump shaft

I've been struggling for an hour now to try and get the distributor to accept the oil pump shaft with no luck. Do people just put the distributor on the cam and crank it until lines up? Is there some trick i'm missing? I would prefer not open up the oil pump and turn it from there..
Advertisement

Old November 3rd, 2007, 06:36 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Yep, thats basically it. Spin the engine slowly, preferrably by hand if you can, and it will drop down into place once the tab and slot align.

Just make sure you know where TDC on the compression stroke is, to set up the timing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old November 5th, 2007, 08:15 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

I don't remember from my old setup but I finally got frustrated enough to remove the oil pump and pull the shaft out. The distributor did not sit all the way down on the timing cover. The seal on the distributor sits just inside the opening on the timing cover. However there is a space btw the seal and the "lip" about an inch higher. Given by the lack of dirt in this area it seems that with the old cam this was sitting inside the opening on the timing cover, now it's not. However, I installed the oil pump gears and aligned it with the distributor and it is engaging in the slot. The gear won't turn and I can hear the distributor clicking as I jiggle the gear. Any of this sound weird or is this normal?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
distributor