Line X/Rhino liner? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 16th, 2010, 10:10 PM
cwilder
Chad
2012 110 Black

Registry
Line X/Rhino liner?

Has any one Line X'ed the inside of their D-90? Do you have any pics and can you detail if you did it yourself or had a shop do it. I'm considering but wanted to see the pros and cons. I've seen what ECR has done and like it.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2010, 10:46 PM
hamiamham
mike
97 D-90

what does ECR use? they typically have/use the best of everything...
Old November 17th, 2010, 10:52 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Rhino-line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2010, 11:17 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

my D90 has been Line-Xed and the only drawback is resale - if the buyer objects to it. Other than that it is excellent
Old November 18th, 2010, 08:58 AM
97-D90-736
Nick Vogel
1997 D-90 / 2012 LR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb View Post
my D90 has been Line-Xed and the only drawback is resale - if the buyer objects to it. Other than that it is excellent
Ill take the risk... the truck is quieter, the heat isnt as bad in the footwells, and I dont have to be as carefull about what I throw on the floor.
Old November 18th, 2010, 10:54 AM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

The key is to remove the seat box and floor panels before you do it and have them sprayed separately.
Dont just spray the whole thing... you or someone else will regret it.
Old November 18th, 2010, 11:37 AM
97-D90-736
Nick Vogel
1997 D-90 / 2012 LR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90user View Post
The key is to remove the seat box and floor panels before you do it and have them sprayed separately.
Dont just spray the whole thing... you or someone else will regret it.
Completely agree. There is no way to get good coverage on the seatbox without taking it out.
Old November 18th, 2010, 01:17 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Ugh...bed liner....one less pristine D90 on the road...

Chad, how long have you owned your truck? Bedliner is a rookie mistake that I almost made when I first got my truck. Now, six years later, I'm so glad I didn't go that route. There are other options that won't make your truck look like a Ford pickup.
Old November 18th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Firemanshort
David Short
1980 Stage One 109

Registry
LineX

I did my bed, seat box, and inside of the doors. I am very pleased.

I took everything apart and sprayed it seperate so it can all still be taken apart.

Line-X
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGA0264.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	33275  
Attached Images

Sterling, VA
Old November 18th, 2010, 07:12 PM
cwilder
Chad
2012 110 Black

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Ugh...bed liner....one less pristine D90 on the road...

Chad, how long have you owned your truck? Bedliner is a rookie mistake that I almost made when I first got my truck. Now, six years later, I'm so glad I didn't go that route. There are other options that won't make your truck look like a Ford pickup.
I purchased it back in April. Have wanted one for, well since I first saw one. It's a White ST with 27K miles. It has been moded a little but it fit my taste. Original owner had carpet installed in tub. I would like to pull out carpet and either Rhino/line X or find some oem rear rubber mats and take back to stock. I may try and take some pics this weekend and post. What do you install inside your defender?

P.S. where are you in SA? I used to live in Bulverde off 46.
Old November 18th, 2010, 08:16 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I really wanted to do it when I bought my truck in 03, but I am actually glad that I didn't. It is not something that you can unbolt if you ever want to return it to stock.

I really like the idea of it for a dedicated off-road truck or expedition trucks, but if there is ever a chance you will want to sell it, I would not do it.

Old November 19th, 2010, 12:16 AM
DieselDef
Brad Ingalls
1985 Defender

Scott, If the parts are done separately so they can be taken apart, then what's the drawback? It's one of the things on my list to do to mine after I'm through with mechanical stuff. I want to it right the first time so I don't have regrets and have to redo something.
Old November 19th, 2010, 01:55 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I like bedliner - on the underside of the truck. I do the bottom of all my seatboxes in rhino, linex, or whatever shop is close. I also do the underside of the floors, and I've done the inside of soft top doors before. I like the way it deadens the panels and on the seatboxes it seals all the seams up nicely.

One benefit of having the coating on the bottom is that when the inevitable rock gets flung up there, it doesn't make such an alarming noise.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old November 19th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I took the floor plates out of the front of my 130 and had them done in Line X and it was a great decision-although expensive ($160). I think doing the seat box would be fine but not sure about doing the top surface. To each his own on tubs. Most of you guys have numbered NAS trucks and I see the argument for not defiling them. For all others it seems pretty much in keeping with what these trucks are built for and their intended use-ie makes them better. I think bulkheads, frames, tposts, and hood frames should be galvanized. Floor plates and seat boxes (after replacing the steel tool box and battery box with heavy gauge aluminum) and the underside of the tub line X'd or similar, for ultimate endurance. Ie if its steel galvanize it, if its aluminum Line X it. Not sure on front inner wings- would like to hear others thoughts on doing the underside of those.

Gustavo tells me he knows where to buy a DIY kit for Line X. I have searched the world over and not found one- found some stuff called Al's bed liner which people were raving about on a Cummins board.
Perhaps in our upcoming business dealings I can pry it out of him.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions