Line-X over DyanMat? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 29th, 2004, 09:45 PM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

Line-X over DyanMat?

I am planning on using dynamat xtreme on the entire interior of my 90 SW. I was just wondering if you could coat over the dynamat with Line-X, as I plan on doing that to everything but the roof and side panels.

Thanks

Chris
Advertisement

Old December 29th, 2004, 10:06 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

You can with the metal backed Dynamat. If I were you I would forget the dynamat, the Linex is a great sound dampener.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old December 29th, 2004, 10:11 PM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

So you think I would be better off to just use the dynamat on the side panels, roof, and behind dash, and line-x everything else? I was just wondering, because I have heard many people say that line-x/rhino/exc... didn't do that good of a job of deadening sound on its own.
Advertisement

Old December 29th, 2004, 11:13 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Well,

I don't really know exactly how effective it is but I can tell you my experience. I put dynamat down around the seat boxes and floor. I noticed almost no difference in the noise level. What did bug me was that the dynamat became rather plyable when warm and on hot days when you hit it with your feet the Dynamat would ooz out from under the metal. So I would only do it where you mentioned to save that hassle. After that I sprayed the entire inside and shell floor with Body Schutz. It is similar to LineX but less durable and way cheaper. I would not recommend this either because it is not durable, but it really quited down the truck a lot. I had Linex on another truck and I think it is best coating you can buy. I would just do that if I were and abandon the dynamat. Plus the dynamat is very expensive and heavy. So is linex I guess, but it protects and quiets the interior. Of course, the biggest drop in sound came with the carpet, but most here don't want that stuff

edit: And I would really recommend doing the engine compartment. That is something I wish I had done before I dropped in the engine. You will find with the TDi that more noise comes from that than from the wind or road.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old December 30th, 2004, 09:11 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Do you just spray the liner over all bolt heads and what not??? I wouldn't think this is good. Also, what about trapping moisture and the eventual rust? Sure it looks good after being applied but who knows what's happening underneath.

For me the best way to go is with something removable. Here's my plan:

1. First, seal all holes from underneath.

2. Remove all interior carpets. You may leave the vertical sections around the seat boxes and tunnel in place.

3. Glue down strips of velcro throughout the interior panels to be covreed. Use 3M marine adhesive or similar.

4. Get 1/2" acoustic foam with the aluminized lining and something like Dynamat.

5. Cut out the foam and Dynamat to fit and glue velcro on the aluminized side. You can glue more velcro on the other side (top side) and on the Dyanamat but I say just glue those together. There's no reason to make them removable unless you want to reuse them for other applications later.

6. Lay down the foam onto the velcro on the truck. you now have a thick, removable layer of soundproofing. If you velcro'ed the Dynamat attach that now.

7. Now cover the entirety with rubber to stop water infiltration. In the rear tub you can certainly use the all-in-one rubber mat. For the rest you just buy a large piece of rubber or a commercial rubber mat and trim it to size.

8. Of course, do the roof the same way.

There you have it. A system that's effective, removable, watertight.
Old December 30th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Disco_Stu
Stuart
2000 DII

I did dynamat and line-X on a 94 ST. I actually ripped off the cloth sections around the seat box, and touched up any light spots in the paint inside. Then I laid Dynamat over the entire inside of the vehicle I left about a 1/4" gap between each sheet so that the line-X would be able to bound directly to the floor pan. I figured in the long run it would prevent the entire line-X from lifting away if the bond on the dynamat broke down for some reason. Then I took it in and had the entire interior sprayed pretty thick. It turned out fantastic, noise is much reduced, and it is a completely hose out interior. The shop I had do it did a real good job of keeping bolt heads from getting sprayed, yet covering 99% of the interior. I had spoke with the guy at Line-X before I laid the dynamat down and he said that with the metal backing they roll something over that pokes fine holes in it, and then roll some chemical over it to make it almost porous so that it can bond with the line-X. I has held up well so far, but this was just last year so we'll see, the only down side is that the black gets pretty warm in the summer sun, it took me a while to figure out why my dog was always dancing around when I put her back there!!

Here is a pic when I was about half way down with the dynamat.

-Stuart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	defdyno.JPG
Views:	445
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	2196  
Old December 31st, 2004, 10:06 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Take a look at www.b-quiet.com, they make a product called "brown bread" very similiar if not the same or better than dynamat for a lot less money.
Old January 2nd, 2005, 05:33 PM
ripp2002
L C
94 Defender 90

Rhino lined 94 d90

The D-90 I bought was rhino lined. Not sure what prep work was done prior to but I can comment on the sound issues. Radio sounds great. But you can hear everything that hits the bottom. Some things VERY loud. Especially over the rear wheel wells. Other then that looks great. If the prep work was done correctly there should not be rust issues in the future since it should be sealed from the elements.

Just some imput,
Larry
Old January 3rd, 2005, 06:17 PM
lrnasd90
J. Landers
1983 110 LHD Galvanized Everything

Chris I had the whole inside of my Defender 110 Crew Cab sprayed with Linex and it did not help the sound damping at all. I can't speak about the dynamat, but I can tell you that the Land rover genuine rubber seat box cover goes a long way to reducing the sou
Old January 4th, 2005, 02:25 PM
jabber
m j

The C/B in me went to Home Depot and bought a roll of Weather Shield (or Ice Shield); cost $75. Then put two coats of weather shield around the whole cab area. Initially smelled a little like tar, but it went away.

It's thick and cheap and has an adhesive back.
Old January 4th, 2005, 06:44 PM
roverx
Scott Preston
1969 Ser IIA Tdi Hybrid

Chris,
For what it's worth, I used Line-x on my tub as well as the seat box and did Dynamat for the doors, bulkhead and side panels with good results. Quiet is a relative term in a Land Rover. I feel mine is very quiet compaired to most. I can use have a conversation w/o yelling, the radio does not need to be on full to hear a song and I can make a call with my bluetooth head set w/o issue. Having said that, my ford work truck is still quieter. The Line-x is great in that you can plug up all the extra holes in the tub and seat box and it get's rid of all the rattles. It's also easy to hose out Dynamat is super for the roof,doors,bulkhead, and bonnet. I have found good success with using dynamat on the floor boards and then using a industral rubber matting. It seems to make a hug difference.
Oh, also I would suggest that you avoid using Black Line-x, especially with a hard top. It becomes a black hole in there. I used a lite grey on my present rover and it's a big difference.

Best of luck
2003 VW Jetta wagon 1.9 Tdi 5 speed
1995 Range Rover Classic 300 Tdi SoftDash (My Son's)

"Be the person your dog thinks you are"
Old January 7th, 2005, 05:35 PM
OCD90
Torrence
1997 Hardtop

I'm not sure about the effectiveness of the Dynamat I used on the floor, but what really worked was the Dynamat underhood version. That worked really well. It's the foam/aluminum type-thing. I had to carefully cut it to fit around the underhood ribs or braces, but aside from that, it definitely toned down the sound of that loud, but weak little engine under there...and it looks decent, if you take care in cutting.
Old January 7th, 2005, 07:57 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

Forgive me for asking something that should be quite obvious but what is Line-X? Is it a spray on sealant akin to Rhino-Lining?
Old January 7th, 2005, 09:15 PM
ripp2002
L C
94 Defender 90

I dont know never heard of LineX
Old January 7th, 2005, 10:12 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Yes.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old January 8th, 2005, 05:28 AM
4WD-90
Christopher Stanish
1994 defender 90

Can someone post some pics of their line-x interior?
Old January 13th, 2005, 05:38 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

4WD-90 says, Can someone post some pics of their line-x interior?

I was going to ask for some images of the Line-X over Dynamat but this will do.
Old January 13th, 2005, 08:16 PM
roverx
Scott Preston
1969 Ser IIA Tdi Hybrid

Hi Sandro,

I can send some to you this weekend.

cheers
Scott

Old January 17th, 2005, 05:37 PM
roverx
Scott Preston
1969 Ser IIA Tdi Hybrid

I was unable to post pictures here so I created a album on the Yahoo groups site.

http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group...cy=112&.type=u

Cheers
Scott

Old March 24th, 2015, 01:01 PM
curry
brandon curry
Series 1 and 110.

Registry
Any updates on this thread from the beginning of time? I'm about to go down the road of Line-X'ing my interior with Dynamat on the doors, roof and engine bay. Curious if it would make a noticeable difference to toss some Dynamat down under the Line-X on the floor?

Also, anybody have pics?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions