Line-X info - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 20th, 2011, 10:34 AM
mattb
Matt
94 D-90 No. 44

Line-X info

Hi Everybody,

I am considering having the interior of my D90 sprayed with line-x. My only concern is covering up any bolts/floor panels that might need to be removed at a later time. My line-x guy thinks I should not cover up the bolts (to allow access later). I don't see why the entire thing can't just be sprayed - covering up the bolts and everything. As far as I am concerned once the floor panels/seams are covered then everything might as well just be covered. If a panel needs to be removed at some point it will still have to be cut out of the line-x whether the bolts are covered or not.

Any thoughts? From a waterproofing standpoint I would rather just seal the entire floor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 20th, 2011, 10:38 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
You could always remove and spray each panel individually.
Old September 20th, 2011, 10:45 AM
mattb
Matt
94 D-90 No. 44

That's not a bad idea. I was hoping to make the line-x a seamless covering over the interior but I could spray the big parts separately - like the transmission tunnel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 20th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Firemanshort
David Short
1980 Stage One 109

Registry
I did this - I concur that you should disassemble into smallest peices and coat each one individually.
Sterling, VA
Old September 20th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
You'll at least want to make sure you can remove your floor panels and seatbox. You'll regret it later if you don't- I made that mistake.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old September 20th, 2011, 12:48 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

As a part of my 110 rebuild, I had the rear tub, seat box ... sprayed with linex. IF you go for a bed liner follow the advice of those who have been there. Spray all the bits separately. Even though I had all the bits sprayed separately, I am having some regrets about the cleanliness of the edges. You will need to be very careful about figuring out where it should stop. What are the boundaries of the region that you want sprayed. e.g. marking out where the rear door lower seal fits, flanges where body panels overlap...you will need to be VERY careful for it to turn out well.
Old September 20th, 2011, 03:38 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Linex lasts a long time, but not forever. I had my YJ tub Linexed 7 years ago. Not sure I would do it again. The textured surface traps dirt, it stains, and has released in a few spots.

For the first 5 years or so I was quite pleased with it, but in a few more years I'll probably end up removing all of it. That will not be a pleasant task.
Old September 20th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Line-x has a disclaimer about putting it in the inside of the vehicle. I know a lot of people do it however. Something about off gassing. Your truck is really air tight right...:-)
Old September 20th, 2011, 10:26 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Not sure I understand the desire to waterproof the cabin. Do you want to keep the water in your truck when it leaks through the roof? This is a Defender, water is going to end up in the truck...

The only panel that could benefit from linex are the floor panels as they see the most wear from your shoes. But even then they can be cut out of plate as a replacement.

Save your money for galv
Old September 20th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Not sure I understand the desire to waterproof the cabin. Do you want to keep the water in your truck when it leaks through the roof? This is a Defender, water is going to end up in the truck...

The only panel that could benefit from linex are the floor panels as they see the most wear from your shoes. But even then they can be cut out of plate as a replacement.

Save your money for galv

I Linex'd the floor plates in my 130. Guy charged $160. The surface seems to grab grime and hold on to it. That said they pop out easily and pressure wash up nicely.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old September 21st, 2011, 12:29 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

From what I've heard it's more about sound proofing than water proofing. Seat box, tub and bulkhead would also benefit from this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos

Save your money for galv
Old September 21st, 2011, 11:30 AM
mattb
Matt
94 D-90 No. 44

The sound proofing would be a big plus as well. I have several holes in the rear tub from the previous owner that are not helping with the gas smell from the rear of the vehicle - so if I could seal those up that would be nice. Plus my vinyl around the seat boxes, etc is really ripped and shot and it looks like crap so just an overall better finish would be nice and any type of floor covering seems to be more expensive or the same price as just going with line-x over the interior.
Old September 21st, 2011, 12:22 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Matt,
I think that "hardura" seat box wrap peice is only about $50

Dividing Creek Imports

Old September 21st, 2011, 12:30 PM
mattb
Matt
94 D-90 No. 44

What is the hardura? Like a heavy canvas? I always have trouble viewing the images on the Badger website so I can't make out what it is exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
Matt,
I think that "hardura" seat box wrap peice is only about $50
Old September 21st, 2011, 12:34 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Its a fabric backed vinyl coated product with a pebble type finish with bound edges- ie the OE stuff. I put one on my 83 110 that had apparently never had any type of seat box wrap- just bought the land rover part number.

Dividing Creek Imports

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions