Limited Slip or Locking Differential - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 26th, 2014, 03:43 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by petminded View Post
Thanks psykokid. Didn't realize there was a type of locker that auto engaged and disengaged without driver input. This clarification helps. That noted, does the Detroit Locker have any issues at low speed in turns where the inertia does not force the slip plate out? Or the opposite where wheeling under hard obstacles/bouncing disengages the lock?
You might hear some ratcheting noise in tight turns. That's the locker disengaging to allow the inner wheel to turn at a different rate.
That might be the only issue.
Advertisement

Old December 26th, 2014, 03:58 PM
petminded
David
1995 Defender 90- Yellow- Soft Top

So if you get the ratcheting noise does that mean over time the Detroit Locker may wear out and need parts replacement?
Old December 26th, 2014, 04:46 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
No. That is just how it works. They don't like to disengage under power. Other than that you normally don't know it is there.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 26th, 2014, 05:03 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
X2 what he said about the Detroit.

I have a separate question about LSD.
Has anyone used the Ashcroft ATB version of the Quaife? I've been thinking about going with the Quaife but the price was a hold back. Ashcroft ATB is less expensive than even the TT.
Old December 26th, 2014, 05:59 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
X3 in mine I don't know the Detroit is there except in really tight U turns under power and even then no big deal.
Old December 26th, 2014, 08:55 PM
UL1700
James
Defender 50th

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
X2 what he said about the Detroit.

I have a separate question about LSD.
Has anyone used the Ashcroft ATB version of the Quaife? I've been thinking about going with the Quaife but the price was a hold back. Ashcroft ATB is less expensive than even the TT.
I have fitted the atb to my transfer case but until my Ls2 it's up and running I can't vouch for its operation. It was of the same very high quality build that I have come to expect from all of Ashcrofts new products (I love their locking diffs and would recommend them without hesitation!)
Old December 29th, 2014, 07:31 PM
Angus
Mike Ferguson
1994 Defender 90

Registry
I have Ashcroft ATBs in the front and rear of my D90. On a day to day basis the only thing you will notice is a bit if torque steer under power, particularly if the tire pressure is not the same left to right. In the snow and mud, they work great, which is where I typically use my truck. I am sure there are situations where a true locker would work better, but for me the added complexity for the compressor and plumbing was not warrented given how I use the truck. Also, much easier on the axels and u-joints. FWIW.
Old December 29th, 2014, 07:43 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
I have Ashcroft ATBs in the front and rear of my D90. On a day to day basis the only thing you will notice is a bit if torque steer under power, particularly if the tire pressure is not the same left to right. In the snow and mud, they work great, which is where I typically use my truck. I am sure there are situations where a true locker would work better, but for me the added complexity for the compressor and plumbing was not warrented given how I use the truck. Also, much easier on the axels and u-joints. FWIW.
This is my sentiment exactly.. I have hd front and rear axles and flanges and could put in air lockers but for 99% of what I do, my front and rear trutracs are the better solution and always work without a hitch, no airlines electrical or compressors to deal with.... Sure there may be one or two times in a hundred that a full locker would get me past something my current setup can't but the option of using them on road more than makes up for that.... Always have my winch for those situations.
Old December 29th, 2014, 07:56 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
I'm sold. Ashcroft ATB front and rear. Maybe center as well if I can afford it and want to crack the transfer case open.
Old December 29th, 2014, 08:06 PM
Angus
Mike Ferguson
1994 Defender 90

Registry
I've been very happy with the Ashcrofts, plus they are a marvel of mechanical engineering. They are a 6 pocket design as opposed to the 3 pocket for the TT. I would recommend picking up the bearing kit too. It is easier to just put new ones on when you install.
Old January 1st, 2015, 12:35 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
my personal experience as user and installer of traction devices, some past driving experience made me shift to selectable vrs. non selectable.
one of my customers was worried his wrangler had "excessive " noises from his rear diff, inspection revealed a shade tree installation of a detroit where bearings had been reused, after bearing replacement the ratcheting noise continued to be of concern... he sold the vehicle.
another customer had a single detroit in the rear of his disco 1 , not a single ratcheting peep ever, i installed a front true track... he loved that combo on and off road...
my personal, I had front and rear tru tracks on my rangie, maybe wheeled harder than I thought, but in any case there where times when I was at an angle where a little of wheel spin would have helped.
unable to select, I would get into deeper trouble where only a winch would help.
the straw which broke the camels back, around 3 am, about 3 inches of snow on the road, there was a brand new durango to my right, and a little road incline to the right, as we took off at the light, my tt's engaged and I slid sideways in to the darn durango....
since then, I have run selectable......
depends on your budget, off road skills and amount of off road driving ... traction devices will get you in deeper trouble than open diffs. reason being, open diff spins as soon as traction is lost, traction device will continue with traction until the ground gives or your frame bottoms...
if anything learned out of this post, be wise when using traction devices....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions