Limited Slip or Locking Differential - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 16th, 2014, 01:25 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Thumbs up

Forget everyone's advice. all these options are expensive. These days anyone who's anyone welds the diff. If the rice rocket crowd is doing it.. ya know we should be doing it.
Advertisement

Old December 16th, 2014, 01:26 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Tight corners in the middle of obstacles.

But more seriously is cost. $500 will get you a used Detroit and TT pretty much any day of the week from some bastard that has been scared by the "Detroits will kill you" crowd. Stick them in and just drive.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old December 16th, 2014, 01:39 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
If I was running a rock buggy, I would probably go with a rear welded diff/spool
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 16th, 2014, 02:00 PM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

Get P38/D2/LR3/LR4/RR computer. Adapt to Defender. Have traction control.

Now you can have open diffs and traction!
Old December 16th, 2014, 02:04 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR Max View Post
Get P38/D2/LR3/LR4/RR computer. Adapt to Defender. Have traction control.

Now you can have open diffs and traction!
Defenders come with traction control....just not the ancient ones in the USA.

Traction control has limits. Many situations it works well, some it does not.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old December 16th, 2014, 02:23 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR Max View Post
Get P38/D2/LR3/LR4/RR computer. Adapt to Defender. Have traction control. Now you can have open diffs and traction!
How difficult and expensive would that be? I'd love to do that to the Disco.
By the same, I'd love to put TT in the P38.
Old December 16th, 2014, 02:31 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Td5 defenders have wabco D, which is the same system that's on Td5 and v8 D2... it would probably not be too hard on a Td5 Defender. I'm not sure about on a TDi or V8.

It looks like the only input it needs from the engine is TPS:

http://www.nanocom-diagnostics.com/d...CU%20Guide.pdf
Old December 16th, 2014, 09:47 PM
Buddy Lee
Tobias
TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by petminded View Post
Where I am confused: what is a selectable? Is a 'locker' and a 'locking' diff the same? Toyota what? LSD going sideways on snow - that sounds like the opposite to what physics tells us a LSD does. And last are there different versions on LSD?
Selectable, is just a locker like the ARB or Ashcroft air lockers. The allow you to "Select" when they are locked and when they are open. Selectable and Locking are just different ways of referring to the same thing.

As far as the LSD going sideways, it can happen if both wheels are on equally slick surface allowing them both to spin at the same time. It is less likely to happen but it could happen.
Old December 16th, 2014, 10:19 PM
wmatos1001
William
1994 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Before jumping into full lockers I think the advice in this thread is spot on. The right tires, good suspension travel and skill with your own 90 go a long way in great performance off road. I also have two 2014 MB G550's (G wagons) with full factory lockers and one of them I have taken off road a bit. With the factory all season tires and full lockers it performs well off road but not nearly as well if it had a more complete "set up" (tires, quick disconnect, etc).

So I'd play around with some other improvements before going air lock and you may be surprised with how much better your 90 performs off road.
Old December 16th, 2014, 10:34 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Ok, no avert this time. Lockers vs. suspension and tires.
Old December 17th, 2014, 08:30 PM
wmatos1001
William
1994 NAS Defender 90

Registry
have any of you put a Tractech Detroit Locker LSD in the rear? Do I need other modifications. I'm asking now because just today I found out my rear diff cover was corroded just enough it was leaving a bit of fluid. My mechanic is ordering a new cover and I figured while it is open I may want to do this now. Do I need other mods to the axle or drive shaft or is it just popping this in?

I have a bone stock 1994 NAS Defender 90 #310.
Old December 17th, 2014, 08:36 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Honestly, if you have the cash, there's not enough reason to not get the air lockers. It also forces you to get a compressor or air tank which are incredibly useful
Old December 17th, 2014, 08:37 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I am a big trutrac fan.
Old December 17th, 2014, 08:41 PM
wmatos1001
William
1994 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
Honestly, if you have the cash, there's not enough reason to not get the air lockers. It also forces you to get a compressor or air tank which are incredibly useful
I hear you and I can afford ARB's I just didn't feel like going through it all right now. I have a window of opportunity since my rear diff will be opened up and was wondering is it as easy as swapping in a detroit locker/LSD or is there more to it than that?

I have a portable compressor that hooks up to the battery to re-inflate tires for offroad/sand that does come in handy so the compressor is not all that crucial to me right now.

But thanks for the response.

------ Follow up post added December 17th, 2014 08:45 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
I am a big trutrac fan.
Where I'm looking the truetrac is only a few bucks less than the Detroit LSD. Reading about the two I can't seem to find a difference other than it looks like truetrac you can put one in front and another in the rear. Do you have any advice on pros or cons compared to Detroit?
Old December 17th, 2014, 08:55 PM
Buddy Lee
Tobias
TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmatos1001 View Post
I hear you and I can afford ARB's I just didn't feel like going through it all right now. I have a window of opportunity since my rear diff will be opened up and was wondering is it as easy as swapping in a detroit locker/LSD or is there more to it than that?

I have a portable compressor that hooks up to the battery to re-inflate tires for offroad/sand that does come in handy so the compressor is not all that crucial to me right now.

But thanks for the response.

------ Follow up post added December 17th, 2014 08:45 PM ------

Where I'm looking the truetrac is only a few bucks less than the Detroit LSD. Reading about the two I can't seem to find a difference other than it looks like truetrac you can put one in front and another in the rear. Do you have any advice on pros or cons compared to Detroit?
I assume your saying he's going to pull the Diff in order to weld on a new cover. Otherwise, the cover does not have much to do with the diff. going in and out.

Installing the new diff is not too bad if you're reusing the old gears and have someone that knows how to set the backlash.

As most of the previous post have indicated each of the different options has it ups and downs. So it's all about what you're looking for. Personally I would probably pick the Detroit because it's a true locker and in wheel off the ground conditions it will still work without having to manipulate the brakes etc. Which does work OK with a TT but there are times it does not work well enough especially with larger tires.
Old December 17th, 2014, 09:07 PM
wmatos1001
William
1994 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Lee View Post
I assume your saying he's going to pull the Diff in order to weld on a new cover. Otherwise, the cover does not have much to do with the diff. going in and out.

Installing the new diff is not too bad if you're reusing the old gears and have someone that knows how to set the backlash.

As most of the previous post have indicated each of the different options has it ups and downs. So it's all about what you're looking for. Personally I would probably pick the Detroit because it's a true locker and in wheel off the ground conditions it will still work without having to manipulate the brakes etc. Which does work OK with a TT but there are times it does not work well enough especially with larger tires.
Exactly he is taking it off and welding new cover on. Thanks for the detail. I will be using it with 31 inch tires (michelin XZL's 7.50 x 16) for mostly off road and some beach driving. I have several vehicles so this one does not get used much as a driver except to get to trails, beach etc. I will use it for snow as well. I think I like the sound of the Detroit Thanks!
Old December 17th, 2014, 09:20 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
The Detroit LSD is the Detroit TrueTrac. So you have the Detroit Locker or the Detroit TrueTrac.
Old December 18th, 2014, 01:36 AM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

Eaton has videos that show the individual locker types and how they function

Detroit Locker : http://youtu.be/ekgBnktLw8k

Detroit Truetrac : http://youtu.be/hqDf5DxOnAI

In the end there are four types available for land rovers:

Selectable (ARB & Ashcroft Air lockers and KAM Electric locker)
Auto Torque Biasing Differential (Quaife, Ashcroft ATB, Detroit Truetrac)
Clutch Type Limited Slip Differentials (KAM Limited Slip)
Automatic Locker (Detroit Locker)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 18th, 2014, 05:51 PM
CamelTM
Trevor
1998 Camel Trophy Defender 110 CT25

Registry
[QUOTE=petminded;590302]Thank you for all the input. I have absorbed about 95%. I just talked to my tire guy today and started the tire conversation for the next LR.

/[QUOTE]

One thing to remember...adding larger tires and lockers (of any sort) increases the forces applied to the little metal bits throughout your drive train...increasing the possiblity of a break under load. This will depend a lot on how you drive, and what you wheel on, but keep it in miond as you build.

Larger tires add more weight, increasing loads on everything inward from that point.

Lockers increase load on axles. Full lockers much more so than limited slips.

Based on what you've said so far I think TruTracs are a good option to consider. They provide less stress on axles etc because they are not a full locker, and they apply gradually. For normal driving they are very rarely even noticed. Their worm gear construction makes them very strong and low maintenance, a life-of-vehicle type component for most people. If you run a D2 they are extremely functional due to the fact that the TC encgages them very efficiently when you need them. But even without that you will quickly learn that a simple feathering of the brakes will get them to engage if they are ever reluctant to do so. Also pretty inexpensive and easy to get installed.
Old December 26th, 2014, 01:45 PM
petminded
David
1995 Defender 90- Yellow- Soft Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykokid View Post
Eaton has videos that show the individual locker types and how they function

Detroit Locker : http://youtu.be/ekgBnktLw8k

Detroit Truetrac : http://youtu.be/hqDf5DxOnAI

In the end there are four types available for land rovers:

Selectable (ARB & Ashcroft Air lockers and KAM Electric locker)
Auto Torque Biasing Differential (Quaife, Ashcroft ATB, Detroit Truetrac)
Clutch Type Limited Slip Differentials (KAM Limited Slip)
Automatic Locker (Detroit Locker)
Thanks psykokid. Didn't realize there was a type of locker that auto engaged and disengaged without driver input. This clarification helps.

That noted, does the Detroit Locker have any issues at low speed in turns where the inertia does not force the slip plate out? Or the opposite where wheeling under hard obstacles/bouncing disengages the lock?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions