Limited Slip or Locking Differential - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 15th, 2014, 05:10 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
Very locked sir
Dang, that's surprising. I met him once; he's funny guy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 15th, 2014, 05:20 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
He doesn't use it very often, but SCARR got some heavy rain this year and turned into grease. Still had to winch
Old December 15th, 2014, 05:23 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
Very locked sir
I asked him not to use them, just teasing a bit, when he was showing some of us less experienced drivers some tricks. He complied.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 15th, 2014, 10:20 PM
Buddy Lee
Tobias
TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR Max View Post
I'm against selectable lockers. People either wait too late to engage them and THEN get into trouble, or just assume that their air lines/compressor/compressor wiring works and then get into trouble and oooohhhhhh you ain't got nothing.

You could do the Toyota 8" conversion. Those selectable lockers are more reliable, but engage them BEFORE you need them.

So many times I've been wheeling and on a hill climb and people wait until the stop forward motion THEN engage their lockers...but are still stuck. When locking it up would've just gotten them through. Also I had to stop and everyone else behind me. Now everyone is stuck. Good job...
The problem here is not with the selectable lockers but with the person using them. You have to know how to use them and understand what your truck is capable of. I make the call before each obstacle based on the condition if I'm going to lock before or after. If it's a steep slick hill climb that I could be awkward to slide back down. I'll lock up before going up. However, if it's a rocky area or smaller obstacle that will allow me to stop and lock w/o endangering myself or my truck I'll try and make it open first and will only lock after I start to get wheel spin.

I've run the following combinations in my truck Open/Open, TT/TT, TT/Detroit and now Selectable/Selectable. The last combination is by far my favorite, but it's also a dedicated trailer queen now and spends more time on the trail than the road.

But basically I agree with the comments that you should get to know your truck and how to drive well off road. There have been many times where I've gotten people past obstacles simply by giving them a couple of pointers.
Old December 15th, 2014, 11:20 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
I ran mine with a Detroit in the rear for a year then put the TT up front. It handled better with just the Detroit in the rear as I get some torque steer with the TT up front.
Old December 15th, 2014, 11:47 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Lee View Post
The problem here is not with the selectable lockers but with the person using them. You have to know how to use them and understand what your truck is capable of. I make the call before each obstacle based on the condition if I'm going to lock before or after. If it's a steep slick hill climb that I could be awkward to slide back down. I'll lock up before going up. However, if it's a rocky area or smaller obstacle that will allow me to stop and lock w/o endangering myself or my truck I'll try and make it open first and will only lock after I start to get wheel spin.

I've run the following combinations in my truck Open/Open, TT/TT, TT/Detroit and now Selectable/Selectable. The last combination is by far my favorite, but it's also a dedicated trailer queen now and spends more time on the trail than the road.

But basically I agree with the comments that you should get to know your truck and how to drive well off road. There have been many times where I've gotten people past obstacles simply by giving them a couple of pointers.

Agreed...equipment is useless unless you know what you're doing
Old December 15th, 2014, 11:52 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Like most people say, tires will make the biggest difference. Then learn how to drive off road. I've been open diff for 7+ years and have been all over the U.S. And Canada in all different situations. 31" or 33" Mid Terrain will make you unstoppable off road.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old December 16th, 2014, 12:17 AM
petminded
David
1995 Defender 90- Yellow- Soft Top

Thank you for all the input. I have absorbed about 95%. I just talked to my tire guy today and started the tire conversation for the next LR.

Sticking to subject at hand, I understand that when you lock a diff, it's like a straight axle- both wheels on the axel turn synchronize.

From my understanding (and experience with a LSD on a rear wheel drive car in the snow) one wheel slips and the diff transfers the energy to the wheel with the traction. I imagine that each manufacturer has a different design so they will run differently on the trail. Still the principal should be the same.

Where I am confused: what is a selectable? Is a 'locker' and a 'locking' diff the same? Toyota what? LSD going sideways on snow - that sounds like the opposite to what physics tells us a LSD does. And last are there different versions on LSD?
Old December 16th, 2014, 12:20 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Here you go.
Old December 16th, 2014, 01:51 AM
petminded
David
1995 Defender 90- Yellow- Soft Top

Thanks for the ARB endorsement.
Old December 16th, 2014, 04:45 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Strangely it just occurred to me to ask - is there a clutch-type LSD available for the Defender?
Old December 16th, 2014, 07:40 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Strangely it just occurred to me to ask - is there a clutch-type LSD available for the Defender?
KAM do one.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old December 16th, 2014, 08:58 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Thinking some here need a refresher on how the truetrac can be engaged if one wheel is completely unloaded. This guy's SIII provides an example:
http://youtu.be/0uwpNpvsshQ
Or can distribute power applied as necessary:
http://youtu.be/lZmsY2YvVsc
Old December 16th, 2014, 09:08 AM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

That's why a later D2 with a set of truetracs performs pretty good offroad. The traction control and abs modulation help the unit lock up and give you that extra bit of traction.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 16th, 2014, 10:08 AM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Thinking some here need a refresher on how the truetrac can be engaged of one wheel is completely unloaded. This guy's SIII provides an example:
http://youtu.be/0uwpNpvsshQ
Or can distribute power applied as necessary:
http://youtu.be/lZmsY2YvVsc

...want.
Old December 16th, 2014, 10:13 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
delete
Old December 16th, 2014, 10:54 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88 View Post
31" or 33" Mid Terrain will make you unstoppable off road.
Except in the Pit of Despair, when the lockers aren't working and the winch cable is broken
Old December 16th, 2014, 11:53 AM
sloanfiske
Anthony Nelson
97 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ren ching View Post
except in the pit of despair, when the lockers aren't working and the winch cable is broken
hahaha.
Old December 16th, 2014, 01:05 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

It really depends what you're after, but IMO there is no argument that a Selectable locker rules. I can't think of any situation where a selectable would not be as good or better than an auto-locker or LSD.

I run Ashcrofts front and rear off a Puma compressor with 1.5 gallon tank and pneumatic switches. The only time I've had a failure is when I installed the airlines too close to the exhaust headers and blew a line. Though it was my fault, I did have spare air line and push-to-connect couplings so in about 2minutes I had my lockers back.
Old December 16th, 2014, 01:13 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
It really depends what you're after, but IMO there is no argument that a Selectable locker rules. I can't think of any situation where a selectable would not be as good or better than an auto-locker or LSD.

I run Ashcrofts front and rear off a Puma compressor with 1.5 gallon tank and pneumatic switches. The only time I've had a failure is when I installed the airlines too close to the exhaust headers and blew a line. Though it was my fault, I did have spare air line and push-to-connect couplings so in about 2minutes I had my lockers back.
I would say LSD is better on off camber sections as well as medium speed snow/sand

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions