Lights, Blinkers, and Everything Electrical - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 20th, 2006, 04:18 PM
WestTexasDefender
Sam Allen
'97 LE #234

Lights, Blinkers, and Everything Electrical

The last couple of months my truck has had basically no headlights so I've just been running with the Hella on the brush guard. The low beams won't work same with the high beams(the high beams only work if you pull the lever towards you). Recently the lights have been coming off and on when going over rough roads and when the left blinker is on they stay on, when the right is on they come on and then go away. I'm thinking that when the previous owner moved the radio to the dash he didn't connect things well because the radio will cut out if you don't leave the left vent open three or four nocks. Also the right brakelight will work only if the light are off, if they are on then the tail light will work just not the brake light. I've got the SS bolt kit so I'll be working on the dash anyways so if anybody has any ideas on what to look for when I'm back there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 20th, 2006, 09:30 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Sounds like ghost has taken up residence in your truck...

Seriously, I would check the grounds for the radio, something is probably loose.

As for the lights, you probably need to replace the switch, mine has done the same thing. If I play with it, i get get it into a special place where the lights will stay on. It took me a while to figure this out, but it is a pretty common problem. EE has them for $100.00.

Mine died on a trial in Tellico, NC and I had to drive out with my three Hella 4000 Xenons on...Didn't make the guys in front of me too happy. :-)

Old April 20th, 2006, 10:25 PM
WestTexasDefender
Sam Allen
'97 LE #234

Well I took apart my column tonight and figured out that i've got a short in the switch. so i'll get that. As for the radio that's gonna have to be a open weekend so I can tear it all apart and see whats going on.

One more question. I was replacing bulbs in the dash cluster and noticed a big brow/white wire dangling loose with nothing on the end, what is it?

Thanks for the advice on the switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 20th, 2006, 11:21 PM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

Look for a switch on ebay. I got mine new, from the uk for about $35 USD if memory serves correct. I think they're usually over $150 USD from most vendors here.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
electrical, ht, lights