Lights are behaving very strange - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 17th, 2016, 01:41 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Lights are behaving very strange

So I have been experiencing some interesting behavior from my lights and I started digging in today.

State 1

Caution flashers on. They were working this morning; when headlights turned on it caused a weird grounding issue that killed all lights.

Pulled housings and then my running lamps started flashing like blinkers in the front.

Rear lights are working sporadically and in various states of off and on.

It's hard to replicate anything. Could it be as simple as a bad housing grounding out? Seems unlikely but the housings aren't great quality. I am going to run new wiring to the rear of the vehicle since that loom is just rubbish at this point (too many splices, connections are questionable) but now I'm having issues with the fronts.

Could this be caused by bad relays? Is that even possible? Or a bad hazard switch or otherwise?

When the fault occurs the high beam light on the instrument cluster lights. Which is strange.

It seems like I have a +12v rubbing a ground and fouling the entire system. Is that possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 17th, 2016, 02:15 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
When a different light is turned on by another circuit, it means the electricity is flowing back through a common ground. Check that the front light grounds are properly connected to the body.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old January 18th, 2016, 02:38 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
When a different light is turned on by another circuit, it means the electricity is flowing back through a common ground. Check that the front light grounds are properly connected to the body.
Without a doubt its a ground issue.

Anyone replace the wash wiper/light stalk switches with OEM vs allmakes?

I can get genuine Lucus from Rovahfarm but am wondering if the aftermarket offers are really that inferior.

JT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 18th, 2016, 03:14 PM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
I would run a test light through everything before spending money. A good supply of cold beer should be on hand throughout the process. Did you re use your original wiring harness or go with new in the rebuild?
Old January 18th, 2016, 03:16 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadstone View Post
I would run a test light through everything before spending money. A good supply of cold beer should be on hand throughout the process. Did you re use your original wiring harness or go with new in the rebuild?
Some of each. The issues are intermittent as well which makes everything more difficult to diagnose
Old January 18th, 2016, 04:11 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

While doing that, consider adding a relay circuit for the headlights. Best insurance for switch life longevity.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old January 18th, 2016, 04:28 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
As to the switch, OEM is probably a good idea. Although I have not tried this switch, other aftermarket switched I have purchased have all failed in under a year.

You know things are crap when the Lucas part looks good.

Old January 19th, 2016, 11:09 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
While doing that, consider adding a relay circuit for the headlights. Best insurance for switch life longevity.
My ignorance surprises even me. My early defender has no headlight relays. this may solve some issues in itself (have had smoke rise form the steering column per-restoration).

Any recommendations for relay kits,

I see ARB makes a plug and play one, I am going to do a fuse block changeover (glass to blade), since I am going through the trouble is it worth making my own h4 relay connectors as well?
Old January 19th, 2016, 11:15 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

You might need to refill your Lucas smoke reservoir as well....

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old January 19th, 2016, 11:16 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Boomslang Performance Headlight Loom - Paddock Spares - Paddock Spares

http://www.flatdoguk.com/boomslang-p...ight-loom~1607

Old January 19th, 2016, 11:23 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
For love of Perdo....SEARCH.

-Jeff
I have been all over the internet, and searched this forum a number of times, I still see people on all sides of the issues regarding relays and the like and there doesn't appear to be a consensus in either direction.

Hence the question
Old January 19th, 2016, 12:38 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
red through and decided to buy the ARB/IPF based on pricing (individual components plus my headache = not worth it)

If its junk I will buy relays and make my own,

Will report back once I solve these issues. Running new ground buses back to the battery from everything. Starting to wonder if my galvanized chassis isn't causing some issues with ground (I know I was having some issues with charging and have been suffering through ground issues since I started digging in). Also blue sea fuse block headed in to replace existing glass fuses. Will try and document for another useless thread
Old January 20th, 2016, 08:50 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Along with the ARB relay harness, I just bought 3 new lucus (Wesley feck) switches for the column, Full let of Wipac LED lights, and 2 ground bus terminals (20 ea) and marine grade 12 gauge running back to the battery terminal. Done with 'light issues'

Cannot wait to wire the whole truck from scratch
Old January 23rd, 2016, 05:59 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Ran a bus bar to the battery, got one side up. Turned out that three grounds where headed back to a single butt connector... So I'm going to run the other side this week...

Got the ARB kit with relays in, quality was questionable so I ordered a red bison kit from the UK that's defender specific. Expect that to be in with the Wipac lights in the next week or so.

Just need to run a ground bus to the back in the same configuration and in the spring just rewire EVERYTHING.

Can't wait. Drew up plans for a full custom dash this week. In the spring I'll measure and put a proof of concept together. Looks good, when I render I'll get it posted up.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions