Lighting issue - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 28th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Sparky
Jim
1999/90

Lighting issue

My Defender 90 (1999) when the engine is running and I put my foot on the brake pedal, the dashboard lights and front headlights and side lights come on dimly. And when I put my side lights on, my brake lights come on. I've cleaned the earths under the drivers seat and added some new ones, disconnected the battery and wire brushed the chassis terminal to get a good connection. Also disconnected and cleaned where it connects to the gearbox but this doesn't seem to have solved the problem. Are there any other earthing points that I could clean or any other ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 28th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I had some odd lighting issues on mine and it ended up just being corroded connectors near the headlamps. I would just start checking connectors for all the lights to make sure they are fully seated and clean.
Old December 28th, 2013, 05:39 PM
ArlowCT
Ryan Lowe
1973ish SER III, 88"

Sounds like its a bad ground for the brake/tail lights. The power is running from the brake peddle through the brake lights and it should go to ground but it's not making it. It's running up the ground wires into the other circuits. Use a ohm's meter and start looking at everywhere there is a ground near the lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 28th, 2013, 08:31 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Check the bulkhead for another ground location.
Old December 29th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Sparky
Jim
1999/90

Thanks guys. I'll give all your ideas a go and see how I get on.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions