Light Panel question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 28th, 2015, 01:56 PM
rwavers
Robert Wavers

Registry
Light Panel question

So I've been home for about two weeks since I bought my Defender. It seems like I find something new/interesting/scary every day.

Last night I finally found an owners manual online and had a chance to read through it. The first thing I wanted to look up was the warning/caution lights on the dash. When I received my Defender one of the first things I noticed was that it did not have a light on the dash that looked like a standard glow plug light. So then I had to figure out if the 200Tdi had glow plugs or not. I did notice that a light I did not recognize would light up for a period after turning the key to supply power, so now I'm thinking this is glow plug light (Pic 1).

So back to the owners manual last night. It turns out the light is the Petrol only engine warming light (Pic 2), and the LR glow plug light does look like what I was expecting (Pic 3).

So now my question is, WTF? Did one of the POs swap out the light panel due to some malfunction and use a petrol version, or was there an instrument swap?

My next thought is to pull the instrument cluster to get a look at the markings on the gauges to see if they match up w/ a 1991 manufacture or not. Not that it really matters at this point.

Any other suggestions?

Is it possible that the pins on a diesel and petrol line up so that the light is still functioning as the glow plug light?

Is this just a good excuse to source a new light panel and do a full LED swap while I'm at it?

Thanks,
Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4723.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	121750   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cold start - Petrol.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	121751  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Glow Plugs.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	121752  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 28th, 2015, 02:01 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Been a few years since I looked, but if I recall correctly, the choke light and the glow plug light are in he same spot, so a simple swap to a face with the glow symbol would set you right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old May 29th, 2015, 06:42 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Jim is correct. Looks like you have an early Petrol warning cluster. Did the truck use to have a petrol motor in it? Or the previous owner swapped out the warning cluster. Those have become a bit pricey unless you can find a used one on Ebay UK. Those modules are plug and play so are easy to remove and replace. Of course you could live with it the way it is? I have also seen stickers you can put over that spot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 29th, 2015, 07:45 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
My early 83 which originated with a 2.5NAD came with a choke icon and not the glow plug icon from the factory. It was confusing for me at first as well.

Old May 29th, 2015, 09:30 AM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
my exmod is that way, choke icon for glow plugs. I think it's normal.
Old May 29th, 2015, 09:52 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The choke light was used as the glow plug light on all trucks until some time later on, I thought it was when the 300TDI came out. My 1991 truck, which is all original has that same cluster.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old May 29th, 2015, 10:02 AM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
Don't worry too much, a 200tdi doesn't need glow plugs. At least mine has no need. Perhaps in sub zero condition. The instrument panel will need to be swap if you want the proper sign. As long as it light, glow plugs will work. You should have a big relay on the engine side at the top of the bulkhead. Disconnect it and the glow plugs will not work anymore as the warning light. I only connect it in winter. But since I have a Webasto... No need for glowplugs.
Old May 31st, 2015, 02:19 PM
rwavers
Robert Wavers

Registry
Thanks for the responses guys! I think it will remain as is. No need to fix it if it ain't broke. I have enough broke things to worry about.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht