Light Lens Renew FYI - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 3rd, 2004, 11:21 PM
Kimos
Larry O'Hara
1997 Defender Wagon

Post Light Lens Renew FYI

Just wanted to post this. May be valuable to some and too minor to consider to others.

I picked up my new doors today from my friends "high end" paint and body.

When they were dressing the doors adjacent to the 90 and my friend was directing me on polishing methods to get the other panels to gloss up equal to the new, he offered some trade knowledge and even some info re faded/scratched light lenses (rear and front signal/brake etc . . .)

In the next "detail" phase I had intended to replace mine as they were scratched and sun-faded.

Instead he told me "dont be stupid" just polish them with glazing.

Well I came back and gave it a whirl. I removed the lens then used Maguires "Scratch X", which is always great to have around the shop, I used a soft rag to rub out the majority of the scratches, then a bit of Maguires #9 Swirl Remover Glaze and finally glossed them even more with Maguires #18 clear plastic polish (which is a must for ST windows too)

15-20 min for all rears and I could not believe it. They look brand new!

Dont know why I did not think about it since I have restored / maintained guitars using the same method with similar compounds.

Just wanted to share since the forefathers here have assisted so much with my trivial issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 3rd, 2004, 11:33 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Well belive it or not Larry this question comes up, athough most are more concerned about the rear ST window scratches. So even though it seems small, someone will find it very useful.
Old December 6th, 2004, 08:46 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

I dunno, seems somehow wrong to be worrying about how shiney the rear lenses are on a D90.

But hey, I live on an unpaved road, and they're either dusty or muddy most of the time, depending on the time of year. I guess city-slicker 90's 'gotta look more presentable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 6th, 2004, 09:00 PM
Kimos
Larry O'Hara
1997 Defender Wagon

ROFL

If I live in OR instead of hotlanta perhaps! Of course I hope to remedy that . . been trying to get out of here and out west for some time. At least my 90 will be ready . . . if I ever finish . . .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 7th, 2004, 09:54 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
hmm. I might give that a try. Larry do you just hang out polishing your D-90 all day?
Old December 7th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Kimos
Larry O'Hara
1997 Defender Wagon

Nope, but beginning to feel like all I do is work on it all day

Be glad when I finish these doors. I did myself as I figured a shop would just slap it together. Of course it was prob slapped together new

Old December 7th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Actually, you would be surprised the difference in the light output if you re-shine the lenses. When I had my '67 Bronco, you couldn't see a damned thing when I hit the brakes. The lenses were old, faded and dull. I polished up the lenses (inside and out) and painted the inside of the housing with some "Bumper Chrome" spray paint.

WOW, talk about a massive improvement.

Since we have such small brake lights, and they are definitely not in the best of locations, every little bit helps in bad weather.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht