Light disaster! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 9th, 2005, 05:30 PM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

Light disaster!

In the past week I have been losing lights all over! Lost the rear brake on the left. I saw it was filled with water sor i drained it cleaned it up and replaced the bulb. It turns on when i turn on my lights but won't light up when I brake. Also lost the right rear marker light. It comes on sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. I also lost the front marker light (the one above the turn signal) and the one on the front fender does the same on and off thing like the rear marker light. What is happening?! The only thing I can think of is water leakage but I have not been through anything too nasty for a while. The bulds seem alright and the conections seem clean. Any thoughts? thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 10th, 2005, 12:19 PM
jimbemotumbo
Jimbe Motumbo
97 D90 Wagon

Me too!

Same deal here. Just replaced bulbs ... no luck. I swapped relays around (known good ones) ad still no luck. God, I hate to start tracing wires.
Old October 10th, 2005, 01:25 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
you need to actually pull the sockets from the wiring harness ends - the bulb contacts will always look good, but the connectors are where the damage is done. They get water in them and it doesnt take much time for the two steel connections on the connector corrode and disintegrate.

Its a cheap, easy fix - the connectors with wire pigtails are less than 5 bucks each. You have to cut off the old ones and crimp or soldier on the new ones. When I did mine I soldered them, covered them in heat-shrink tubing and bought the taillight boot kit from RN. Pack the connectors with dielectric grease and everything should be good for a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 10th, 2005, 04:06 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Check the earth points and all the connectors, a bit of corrosion and the sparks just won't get thrpigh to the bulb. clean up everything and pack the connectors with white petroleum jelly (Vasaline)
Old October 11th, 2005, 09:35 PM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

Damn, I knew it would come to a parts order! Better get one in before I get pulled over. All the conection look right and I am getting power to one of the filaments in the brake light just not the other one. I hate working with shrink wrap!
Old December 19th, 2005, 07:06 PM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

Russell,
Did you ever figure out what was wrong with your lights?

I seem to be having the same problem and dont know exactly what to do. My brake lights turn on as soon as I turn the key, but the third brake light over the spare wont ever go on, and the lights dont get brighter, or turn off when I hit the pedal. Whats up with this?

Thanks in advance,
Old December 23rd, 2005, 12:44 PM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

So the some how the threads on the brake light switch had broken and the switch was just hanging around in the engine compartment. This explains why the brake lights are always on, but it doesnt help with the fact that the third brake light will never come on.
Does anyone have any experience with the third brake light not working. Ive checked the bulbs and they are fine.... i dont think there is a specific fuse just for the third light..... so this is probably a bad ground or a wiring issue somewhere.
Finally to my question, Where is the ground for the third brake light, and does anyone have any ideas as to where I should look for the wiring troubles?
Thanks
Old December 23rd, 2005, 12:47 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Look behind the right rear speaker...all the wiring junctions are there.
Old December 23rd, 2005, 03:00 PM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

Rob thanks,
So i checked for power behind the speaker.. 12V, checked at the base of the third light where the rubber shrink wrapping stuff is...12, checked at the bulb connection, no power sometimes...... i played with switching around different bulb holders at different locations...... anyways long story short.... i used one connector hooked to the first positive plug and the first negative plug. i got 12 V at the bulb location. Plugged the bulb in, no light... take the bulb out, put it in my side marker socket, presto, theres light.... What is happening... I am by no means an electrical engineer... but I do know that this isnt making sense..
Does anyone know what I am doing wrong, or is my landy trying to give me a hernia?
Thanks
Old December 30th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

Ok, Things have changed.

Now I have no brake lights at all. My brake light switch was found to be the problem before, and I have one on order that should be here today. hopefully that will fix the no lights at all problem.

More importantly, while i was trying to find the problem with the third brake light not working, i found there wasnt any power behind the speaker box. I started unwrapping the wires coming out of the frame by the gas tank, and couldnt find any corrosion so i took a break. When i came back, the turn signals dont work at all, and the gas guage doesnt make any reading.

I cant find any corrosion in the wires around the "hub" at the frame. Does anyone know where this is most likely, or how I can track it down? I was thinking that it is a bad ground, but I cant find where any of the grounds for these things are.

Thanks for the help, Im going insane
Old December 30th, 2005, 02:11 PM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

I could never get my left light to brighten up, still have not figured it out.
Old December 30th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

Well that sure is reassuring. Thanks... ha.

I just have no idea where to look. Does anyone know where the grounds are for the rear lights and the fuel gauge? Or is there something else you think i should look at?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht