Lifter Noise - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old June 9th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Jim Westhelle
94/90 st
Lifter Noise

Anyone experiance Lifter noise, oil pressure is good, what is the next step?

Old June 9th, 2004, 04:12 PM
1989 110SW 1 of 2,000,000
Ear plugs or a bigger radio.

:O [==] O:
Old June 9th, 2004, 04:12 PM
Chris Davis
94 D90, 88 RRC
I read a really interesting article off the RPI website why they stated they don't recommend synthetic oils since the light viscosity drains quickly from the lifters--hence noise and premature wear. I will try and dig that up.
Old February 28th, 2005, 11:40 AM
what about a clunking noise, from the engine compartment on a 97' D-90. Sounds like something slapping the side of the oil pan, has been doing it for a while but seems to be getting worse, doesn't do it at high rpm's. runs great, only 49,000 on whole vehicle and less than 12,000 on new motor that was installed about 3 years ago, I am the second owner, my dad being the first and i am not sure if the last motor did this? any suggestions are these noises common? If anyone has any ideas i would appreciate it, you can email me at Thanks
Old February 28th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's
I had some "lifter noise" on our disco and it turned out to be the rocker arm assembly which had then worn out some pushrods. Replaced the bad pushrods and rocker arm assemblies and all has been great since then. I have used Synthetic in both Rovers that we have and it seems to be great. You want to be sure to use a synthetic based on the temperature of where you live though. In the winter, I can sometimes get away with a 5w40, but I usually go with a 10w40 and haven't had a problem. The 5w40 works very well for cold starts, and the engine catches faster. If it is already warm out, the 5w40 will cause slight lifter noise at first for just a few minutes, then it's fine. The 10w40 never causes any noise no matter what the temperature now that the rocker arm is fixed. Hope that helps!!
Mom: "Boy, you got champagne taste on a beer budget."
Old February 28th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Hans Haase
The Lab Rat
Lifter noise all the time? Only during startup?
What viscosity oil are you using?
Also, when the header gaskets start to go, they sound like lifters.

Spencer. If it sounds like clunking in the oil pan, I highly suggest taking the pan off and checking it.

My oil line fix

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions