lift pump question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 22nd, 2013, 03:06 PM
Jaded-7
Harrison
None

lift pump question

Hi all, question on the lift pump. (85 2.5 na) When i try and manually prime the fuel, i can't get the fuel to actually pump up from the tank. Should i leave the banjo bolt attached to the fuel filter cracked open while pumping, or bleed it similar to brakes, and pump, hold, loosen bolt, tighten bolt, repeat?

Maybe the lift pump just went bad, but the car ran right before i bought it, so i'm not quite sure. I was thinking about just dropping a tube from the lift pump into a can of diesel to make sure it's not a line to the tank thats bad.

I believe it was run out of fuel before i received it and thats the problem. I've since added 5 gallons of diesel, but to no avail. Should i add fuel to the fuel filter and try the pump again?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 22nd, 2013, 03:20 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

The diaphragm could be bad or you have a suction side air leak.
We always install a 12V fuel pump back by the tank that eliminates the sort of time consuming nonsense you are experiencing trying to move fuel.
With a 12V pump you get in turn on the key and start the vehicle with a self bleeding fuel system.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old December 22nd, 2013, 04:48 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Could be that the lift pump cam is stopped at the full lift position the manual lever won't do anything in the way of pumping fuel in that situation. Try turning the engine over a bit with a suitable socket on the crank bolt and try the lift pump again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 22nd, 2013, 05:00 PM
Jaded-7
Harrison
None

yea, i came across a few posts suggesting to put in a 12v electrical pump.

I did make sure the cam was in the correct position. I have a bit of resistance, and can hear something happening, but am not getting any results.

Thanks again.
Old December 22nd, 2013, 05:58 PM
CMSgt Bo
Bo
1985 One Ten

This may sound like a silly question but do you have more than one fuel tank?

I had the same thing happen after my tank selector valve failed internally.

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
Old December 22nd, 2013, 06:33 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
The diaphragm could be bad or you have a suction side air leak. We always install a 12V fuel pump back by the tank that eliminates the sort of time consuming nonsense you are experiencing trying to move fuel. With a 12V pump you get in turn on the key and start the vehicle with a self bleeding fuel system.
This. I installed Robert's sedimenter and added a fuel pump and mine started right up after I farted around with it for 2 weeks (including installing a new mechanical fuel pump and fuel filter).
Old December 22nd, 2013, 07:46 PM
Jaded-7
Harrison
None

Do you all use these electrical pumps constantly while the car is running (wired to ignition), or just to prime them (on a switch)?
Old December 22nd, 2013, 08:19 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
are you certain you have enough fuel in the tank for the pickup to reach it ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 22nd, 2013, 08:52 PM
Jaded-7
Harrison
None

I know it's got at least 5 gallons! lol. was thinking about dumping some more in though.
Old December 22nd, 2013, 09:02 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Do you have the side tank, D90, or a rear tank D110? It sometimes takes a little bit to get the fuel up from the tank. You could also put a suction on the fuel filter to pull the fuel up. Have you checked the return line to see if it is trying to return the diesel?
Old December 22nd, 2013, 09:20 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-7 View Post
Do you all use these electrical pumps constantly while the car is running (wired to ignition), or just to prime them (on a switch)?
Key on pump runs, key off pump off.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old December 23rd, 2013, 02:04 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
This may be obvious. I tired and tried to prime the system after i did a filter change. Same engine. Thought the lift pump went bad. I used that little manual lift pump up and down 500 times. Nothing. BUT finally figured out the manual lift pump only actually pumps in the last 1/4-1/2 inch of movement and you need to squeeze it REALLY hard. If you squeeze it hard, you may feel it squish the diaphram or whateverthehell its actually using to pump. also make sure you bleed your injectors too. Open the small nuts and prime until fuel comes out of all of them. tighten them down and she may just start!
Old December 23rd, 2013, 04:45 PM
Jaded-7
Harrison
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh-man View Post
This may be obvious. I tired and tried to prime the system after i did a filter change. Same engine. Thought the lift pump went bad. I used that little manual lift pump up and down 500 times. Nothing. BUT finally figured out the manual lift pump only actually pumps in the last 1/4-1/2 inch of movement and you need to squeeze it REALLY hard. If you squeeze it hard, you may feel it squish the diaphram or whateverthehell its actually using to pump. also make sure you bleed your injectors too. Open the small nuts and prime until fuel comes out of all of them. tighten them down and she may just start!
You sir, are the man! LOL... After my thumbs starting hurting, and i was starting to bend the little lever, and yes, after saying, "This sum bitch doesn't know was he's talking about! God Damn it @#$#@@" I noticed a little drip coming from the fuel filter! tightened that up, opened up the other valve, bled that, cranked a bunch of times and bam! It's outside running in this ice storm!

Thanks so much Josh-Man!
Old December 23rd, 2013, 06:32 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-7 View Post
You sir, are the man! LOL... After my thumbs starting hurting, and i was starting to bend the little lever, and yes, after saying, "This sum bitch doesn't know was he's talking about! God Damn it @#$#@@" I noticed a little drip coming from the fuel filter! tightened that up, opened up the other valve, bled that, cranked a bunch of times and bam! It's outside running in this ice storm! Thanks so much Josh-Man!
Glad I could help!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions