lift kit - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 17th, 2003, 07:13 PM
murph
Patrick Thorp

lift kit

At the risk of being ridiculed on a site/forum dedicated to D-90s,
could anyone help me with info on a lift kit for a new freelander?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2003, 07:23 PM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

Check with David Gage at www.thatchedroofgarage.com. I think he's got some aftermarket mods for the Freelander. If not, he can surely point you in the right direction. There was a guy at the SOLAROS rally this weekend with a lifted (1.5") Freelander.

Ron Ward
Old November 17th, 2003, 07:55 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Its a Ford escape. Call any offroad parts place and ask same suspension, if you want to call it that!

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2003, 08:25 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Patrick,

Check out FreelanderLiving.com (http://www.freelanderliving.com/). Simply an awesome site for the Freelander and quite a number of owners there have fitted lift kits. There is a few articles on it, as well as the topic has been covered in depth a few times on their Forum. I would definatly recommend hitting that site.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old November 17th, 2003, 10:20 PM
tbrand2068
Travis Brandenburgh
1994 D90 ST

D.A.P. offers a kit for the Freelander. I think that it is fairly inexpensive; whether or not it is a great idea is another question all together.
Old November 17th, 2003, 10:27 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Darby
Old November 17th, 2003, 10:43 PM
Mike M
Mike McC
1990 Range Rover County
D-90 Source Vendor

It is not even close to a Ford Escape. It's more a Rover Car than a Ford Escape.
Call David Gauge at Thatched Roof Garage. He'll hook you up with the correct parts.

Old November 18th, 2003, 12:21 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

What?! Not a ford Escape! It has the same frame, same drive train, same suspension, and same pos maker. It is a ford escape fitted with a different body, kinda, in order to enter Land Rover in the small suv market. The only thing on that whole car thats rover is the little green oval and I think Ford stole those off of defenders as they rolled off the line, not an escape

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old November 18th, 2003, 02:26 AM
tbmcneill

Not that its that big of a deal .... we're not talking about Defenders...., but.....

maybe it is an Escape. I haven't a clue what an Escape has in the way of drivetrain, unibody, etc .... but given the timing of things, the Escape had to have borrowed from the Landy, not the other way around.

The Freelander was developed back when BMW owned LR, not Ford (dubbed "CB40" when in development)...i know of one mention of it in '95 (which if i'm not mistaken is the year BMW bought LR). The Freelander was released in '97 as a '98 model in the UK before Ford even owned LR &, i think, before Escape's were available.

If anything, its closer to the Honda CR-V. Honda and LR were working together on a small SUV until LR pulled the plug (a little off the subject, but ever seen the Honda-badged Discovery? ... it was sold in Japan a few years back).

just FWIW.....
T
ps-certainly not much a 4-wheeler, but may make an interesting rally car with some HP.... nah, nevermind....
Old November 18th, 2003, 11:16 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I don't know which came first, the Freelander could have and then was borrowed from for the Escape but it is the very same vehicle. But, you pay 10,000 more for a little green oval.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old November 18th, 2003, 01:14 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I am fairly positive that the Freelander was first. It was already out in the UK just before Ford came in and right after it was announced that Ford was coming in, Ford release pictures of its brand new Escape. I remember commenting somewhere that it looked like Ford was already raiding the design room at LR at the time.

CVC

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old November 18th, 2003, 05:13 PM
Toddco
Todd Klueger
1995 Defender 90

Those things do pretty good. I saw a guy in a stock rental Freelander run some good trails this weekend at the SAE SOLAROS event. I just hope he got the extra insurance.
Old November 18th, 2003, 05:22 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old November 18th, 2003, 06:35 PM
KeithD
Keith Duckett
90 V8 Import

Registry
The freelander has no relationship to the Ford escape at all

Ford first then Freelander
Wheelbase 103.1" / 100.6
Overall Length 173.0" /175.1"
Overall Height (empty) 69.1"/ 67.2"
Overall Width (body) 70.1" / 71.1
Width (Max. @ Mirrors) 79.4" /81.5"
Tread Width (Front/Rear) 61.0"/60.2"

engines are totally different (BMW or Rover), as are trannies. You will not find one common component. The freelander was designed and produced way before the escape. the 2004 is still nothing like the escape. The next freelander/escape no doubt will be more similar. Essentially the freelander is a beefed up rebodied rover 25. if you say the rover is a ford escape you may as well say a RAV4 and CRV are the same thing.
Old November 18th, 2003, 06:41 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Rav4 and CRV are the same thing One was built from the other and if you want proof, call up land rover and they will admit it. The bodies are different, sitting on the same frame, just pulled. Take a look at the suspension, identical. Companies do this all the time. It is, for all intensive purposes, the same thing. They both suck

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old November 19th, 2003, 03:00 PM
KeithD
Keith Duckett
90 V8 Import

Registry
I have checked with Land Rover. The freelander was designed 10 years ago foir the european market. It has not one thing in common with the Escape. But I am not the first to put this to LR - it seems that some Ford salesman say the escape is a freelander with a different badge in order to help sell the escape. LR here even took a freelander to Maclin Ford in calgary and got them to check it out and see for themselves that there was no relationship.

You are just trolling right David?
Old November 19th, 2003, 04:22 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Trolling? Not sure. I am repeating what the what a LR engineer told me. Said that some of the parts are fully interchangeable. I could be wrong, I am no Freelander expert. Definently never expected to have the debate on D-90 site. Did I hit a nerve with a Freelander owner somewhere? If so, thats funny.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old November 19th, 2003, 09:53 PM
Mike M
Mike McC
1990 Range Rover County
D-90 Source Vendor

I am not a big fan of the Freelander or the Escape (nor am I an owner) but I have seen the Freelander do some serious stuff. Nothing close to what a D-90 is capable of but impressive for what it is.
Still not an Escape.
LOL

Old November 19th, 2003, 10:36 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Please don't take this the wronge way but what is your definition of serious stuff? The most extreme thing I have ever seen that thing do is get a tire all the way up on a curb while it was parallel parking in front of the mall. It blew a bead but luckily the soccer mom knew the ether trick for resetting it with the help of her high lift. After a fluid top off she was all set.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old November 19th, 2003, 11:25 PM
KeithD
Keith Duckett
90 V8 Import

Registry
every road test I have seen places the freelander ahead of the small SUVs in terms of off road ability. Even Road and Track who must be pro-US tested it against the new Jeep Liberty and the Freelander won hands down. traction control, HDC and a viscous centre diff is going to give it some advantage over the Rav4s, CRVs of this world. But it wont hold a candle to a wrangler or discovery or defender or many land cruisers or patrols (oh if we could get them). But no point comparing chalk with cheese. Personally I don't really see the point in these soft roaders - a Subaru is probably a better bet. Or just fit snow tires on a FWD vehicle. I today got December's Top Gear mag and the freelander comes out as the least reliable LR, though not much worse than Jeep. worse than the defender though!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
kit