Life without a headliner: worth living? ;) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 23rd, 2013, 08:52 AM
jcb-memphis
Jeff B.
None

Life without a headliner: worth living? ;)

Title says it all...debating headliner refurb or La Salle or nothing so I can get other things..... How bad is it sans headliner.

I am naive to not having one...but have had and fixed up RRC LWB and D2 units....so have some background. None with the 110...

Thanks!

(anyone there live without a headliner successfully- what problems (condensation, noise, heat...is it bad for the truck long term, etc.......... )

TIA

jeff
110 hybrid (from a 90) NAS Defender "Oates" #1597
2002 D2 SE "Very Disco" (sold)
1993 RRC LWB "The Beast" (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2013, 09:11 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I think the headliner is mostly cosmetic, but doing or not doing sound and heat insulation on your roof will have a big impact on your cabin comfort experience. And when I say big, I mean BIG.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old May 23rd, 2013, 09:12 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

If you already have a headliner it should be pretty cheap to have it refreshed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2013, 09:13 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Comes down to driving in a tin can or a padded tin can......

For now I have a tin can.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 09:14 AM
jcb-memphis
Jeff B.
None

Beyond repair...
Old May 23rd, 2013, 09:15 AM
John_Karlsson
John Karlsson
1966 Series IIA 88 SW

No headliners, and I'm not dead yet.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 09:16 AM
jcb-memphis
Jeff B.
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Comes down to driving in a tin can or a padded tin can......

For now I have a tin can.

LOL.

Thanks!

My curiosity is in your real world annoyances: condensation, heat, nvh........rain must be more interesting..don't mind that...it is the heat and a/c and heat keepign up/working well enough that I am worried about.. ...I live in a climate that goes from 0 to 102 with humidity that can be awful...not a polar region or a desert, but it can be a bit much...truck to be a DD.

------ Follow up post added May 23rd, 2013 09:18 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Karlsson View Post
No headliners, and I'm not dead yet.
Thanks!

------ Follow up post added May 23rd, 2013 09:20 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
I think the headliner is mostly cosmetic, but doing or not doing sound and heat insulation on your roof will have a big impact on your cabin comfort experience. And when I say big, I mean BIG.

I hear this loud and clear.....will be used 85% for my DD and 15% for fun like camping, exploring, fishing, green laning in my world sort of stuff....

So it matters. Thank you.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 09:25 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

A lot of folks prefer the utilitarian look of no headliner. I am still in the process and have been since November of replacing mine with a lasalle. Too many projects, but one of the delays also it the headliner doesn't come pre-cut for the sun roof or alpines so it requires special attention to get it right.

There was a post not too long back about a headline buy for something more "stock". Once the lasalle is install I think it will be fine but I think I would have preferred the fabric on fiber.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 09:35 AM
jcb-memphis
Jeff B.
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
A lot of folks prefer the utilitarian look of no headliner. I am still in the process and have been since November of replacing mine with a lasalle. Too many projects, but one of the delays also it the headliner doesn't come pre-cut for the sun roof or alpines so it requires special attention to get it right.

There was a post not too long back about a headline buy for something more "stock". Once the lasalle is install I think it will be fine but I think I would have preferred the fabric on fiber.

Thanks. That LaSalle was my thought..but it sounds non-trivial too....

In Texas, how awful is the truck day to day if it is out...that certainly is a "heat" test....can your A/C keep up. My truck's a/c is supposed to be superb and I believe that, but a 110 SW is a big space too....

jeff
Old May 23rd, 2013, 09:42 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
My A/C could not keep up until I A) put the insulation in the roof full length AND B) did window tinting all around. With both done, AC has no problem keeping the cabin cool.

That many windows provides a LOT of greenhousing. don't discount it.

Old May 23rd, 2013, 09:55 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

For those that care about such things, some have said the finished install in the LaSalle looks a bit rough around the edges. Ive got genuine waiting up at atl Dave's shop, but the downside to that is that it seems more prone to holding dirt/smell, drip rails needs to be fixed to prevent water ingress, and LR made it.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 10:04 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
I have a lasalle and love it

Old May 23rd, 2013, 10:08 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis View Post
Thanks. That LaSalle was my thought..but it sounds non-trivial too....

In Texas, how awful is the truck day to day if it is out...that certainly is a "heat" test....can your A/C keep up. My truck's a/c is supposed to be superb and I believe that, but a 110 SW is a big space too....

jeff
You know driving these things is pure passion. The D90 is not...by any (even Dr. Seuss) stretch of the imagination a vehicle for comfort, that said I just enjoy it. 85% of the time humidity is not a factor. I don't use the AC until its around 100 degrees and that's on the highway if i just want to chill. most of the time, when its the hottest I'm in an office or at home.

IMO the headliner has an impact if you use sound damping, not by much. Like anything else how much is it worth to you? You'll never get that back out of it in a sale, it's only value is self perceived. When it's not apart I use the D90 as my DD, but I've been using a company vehicle to keep the miles down when traveling for work...Texas is too big.

------ Follow up post added May 23rd, 2013 09:11 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
For those that care about such things, some have said the finished install in the LaSalle looks a bit rough around the edges. Ive got genuine waiting up at atl Dave's shop, but the downside to that is that it seems more prone to holding dirt/smell, drip rails needs to be fixed to prevent water ingress, and LR made it.
Man what are you doing in your truck!. The dirt is supposed to stay on the outside. I hate it when I get gum on my tires while crusin the mall!
Old May 23rd, 2013, 10:14 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
My sound dampening has been highly effective. my only residual noise at this point is coming through the transmission tunnel, which is ongoing experimentation.

Old May 23rd, 2013, 10:26 AM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

I have a friends D90 in my driveway right now with no headliner. It has a 200tdi and essentially no sound deadening or muffler. We drove it down from WA, and I was impressed with how quite it was.

Like other said it will be quieter with a headliner, but the tin can is not so bad and I actully prefer the look of sans headliner.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 10:35 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Man what are you doing in your truck!. The dirt is supposed to stay on the outside. I hate it when I get gum on my tires while crusin the mall![/QUOTE]

A 250 pound mule deer or black bear fits perfectly between the wheel wells. 300 and over and elk need to be quartered .
Old May 23rd, 2013, 10:38 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:

Man what are you doing in your truck!. The dirt is supposed to stay on the outside. I hate it when I get gum on my tires while crusin the mall!
A 250 pound mule deer or black bear fits perfectly between the wheel wells. 300 and over and elk need to be quartered .[/QUOTE]

Very nice! Then again you could always throw it/them! on an expedition rack or trailer. Don't get me wrong I like the smell of a fresh kill, but...lol.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 10:46 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

As hick as i am, Im not a fan of mounting a carcass on the outside of a vehicle. But these southern boys love that crap. . Nothing like 4 point whitetail rotting with its hide still on tied to the hood of a pickup! But I digress....apologies to the OP.

Would rain-x work to keep gum off your precious MTRs? :p
Old May 23rd, 2013, 10:49 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
I personally drove a POE 90 for 4 years which had no HL. Eight + years ago I went from that POE to a garage queen 97SW and the difference felt off the charts. My HL is now starting to show the typical sag so I plan is to line the roof with insulation and then repair the HL. I've also recently drove a 95SW with insulation + HL and there seemed to be a big difference to me. So long story short, no HL vs insulated roof with HL should provide a noticable difference.

Also remember we're talking hearing damage when we expose ourselves to long periods of noise so the added investment is beyond ride comfort alone.

Clay
Old May 23rd, 2013, 10:49 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
As hick as i am, Im not a fan of mounting a carcass on the outside of a vehicle. But these southern boys love that crap. . Nothing like 4 point whitetail rotting with its hide still on tied to the hood of a pickup! But I digress....apologies to the OP.

Would rain-x work to keep gum off your precious MTRs? :p
it might but I just let the kids pick it off...for everything there is a price!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions