LHP 28 CD-ROM manuals - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 13th, 2012, 07:31 AM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger
94D90 CDN#18 http://rover.leger.ca

Registry
LHP 28 CD-ROM manuals

Hi D90 members,

Is anyone here using the LHP 28 CD-ROM ?

I can't seem to get it working on my MacBook, but it's not supposed to work. I can't open the PDF files directly in Adobe Pro. I did also try on a Windows 7 PC and a Windows XP machine at the University. Also no luck.

I'm hoping someone who has it working can give me some advice on the PC configuration that is working.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 13th, 2012, 09:50 AM
HeloBubba
Chris Murphy
'89 127 (D130), '16 LR4

Hi, Marc-

I bought a copy of the LHP-28 CD several years ago, too when it became available, and also have problems with it on newer PCs. As I've discovered, it will only work on older OSs (XP and earlier) and with older versions of Acrobat/Acrobat Reader. I have no idea why, but yes, it is a pain in the ass. If you allow your Acrobat to auto update, you're boned.

I have been able to open and search the directory and skip the homepage on occasion, but that's also a pain, as none of the files have names that make any sense.

I did read somewhere a while ago that there may be a newer version of the LHP-28 CD that has fixed the problem, but I could never confirm before shelling out more dough. I've just kept an older, dog-slow and somewhat unstable PC on hand to use the CD and other car software in the garage.

Maybe someone else can confirm the presence of this newer disk so we can use our MacBooks?

Murph
'89 D110SW
'16 LR4

Former:
'97 D90SW - SOLD SEP '14
'94 D90ST - SOLD MAY '13
D90s sold while assigned overseas. You're welcome America!
'06 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
'8X FankenRover D100
Old March 13th, 2012, 10:19 AM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger
94D90 CDN#18 http://rover.leger.ca

Registry
I happen to be the curator of the Quebec computer history museum, so I have access to old computers running XP ! I'll try

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 13th, 2012, 10:25 AM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

I have both the older (XP) version as well as the newer. The XP version does work as expected on XP and early versions of windows. There is work around available to get that version to work on Vista by downloading a tool from the DRM (rights management) vendor of the software. I had zero luck getting this version to run using any form of virtualization.

The newer version works fine on Win 7. If anyone is looking for the XP version, you can have mine for the cost of shipping.
Old March 14th, 2012, 12:13 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
That CD has some weird protection software on it. The PDF are somehow encrypted. My work-around to that issues was to convert those PDF to non-encrypted PDF (using a "PDF Printer") for the purpose of a space-efficient backup and then print two hard-copies so I'd never have to rely on a computer ever again on a pinch. I was lucky enough to be running XP at that time (or maybe 2000 ?). That protection did not work on a Macbook (at that time) or a Linux OS (Charles had tried this, I believe he still has the disk). Somewhere in my pile of CDs/hard-drives I have some non-encrypted backup. If I were to find them, it would still be illegal for me to offer them for free to anyone anyway.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
cd, manual