LHD conversion question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 28th, 2013, 09:13 AM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
LHD conversion question

I want to do a LHD conversion on the 110, but I'm kind of on a budget.

The biggest cost seems to be the lower dash assembly at about $1700.

My question is. Can you re-use the original lower? Will it look horrible?

I've searched for pics, and I think I've found one of someone reusing the RHD lower dash.

If that's a reused RHD lower, I think I can live with that until I can find a less expensive replacement. My wife is having NOTHING to do with RHD, and I would like to do the convert in hopes of making her happy.

Or am I completely wrong? Thanks for the help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1178
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	75111  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2013, 09:40 AM
budzny
Real4X4
NAS 97 ST/NAS 93 110/62
Birthday Committee Team

I have a nice LHD complete dashboard I might sell that came off from 97 NAS D90. Just waiting for my new TD5 dashboard to come.

Sal
Old June 28th, 2013, 09:41 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Oh man there was a really good thread a while back where we kept posting pics of LHD conversions on the cheap. I don't recall seeing that pic in there, so I'm not sure if you saw the same thread, but I'll see if I can find it real quick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2013, 10:02 AM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by budzny View Post
I have a nice LHD complete dashboard I might sell that came off from 97 NAS D90. Just waiting for my new TD5 dashboard to come.

Sal
Sal, PM sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Oh man there was a really good thread a while back where we kept posting pics of LHD conversions on the cheap. I don't recall seeing that pic in there, so I'm not sure if you saw the same thread, but I'll see if I can find it real quick.
Thanks, Josh. I saw a thread somewhere a few weeks ago, but couldn't find it again.
Old June 28th, 2013, 10:17 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
I can't find it either. A lot of them had a metal fabricated slab for the "passenger" side (formerly the RHD driver side) and a few of them didn't look all that terrible. From the pic you posted, it looks like they bought the lower dash trim finisher (the plastic piece along the top section of the lower dash) whish if one part you'd need to buy. Aside from that, I'd think you could cut out those random holes into a single wide hole, and put a little "drawer" there that could slide into the dash. Just an idea.
Old June 28th, 2013, 11:20 AM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
I saw a thread over on expo a year ago where they reused the rhd stuff and I felt it looked fine if I ever converted to Lhd I would have done the same thing I could never find the thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BUY SOME HATS --->

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 28th, 2013, 11:24 AM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
I can't find it either. A lot of them had a metal fabricated slab for the "passenger" side (formerly the RHD driver side) and a few of them didn't look all that terrible. From the pic you posted, it looks like they bought the lower dash trim finisher (the plastic piece along the top section of the lower dash) whish if one part you'd need to buy. Aside from that, I'd think you could cut out those random holes into a single wide hole, and put a little "drawer" there that could slide into the dash. Just an idea.
Thanks, Josh. I'm thinking a guy could do something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstahl3 View Post
I saw a thread over on expo a year ago where they reused the rhd stuff and I felt it looked fine if I ever converted to Lhd I would have done the same thing I could never find the thread
I'll look there.

Did you find a 5-speed Disco yet? What about that one back east? It looked fairly clean
Old June 28th, 2013, 11:27 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
IIRC, the lower dash is composed of two parts. There is a larger piece which is essentially an air distribution unit, with a flap actuated by a cable to divert air between the windscreen vents and the foot well vents. There is a smaller piece that installs over the wiper motor.

I think it's possible to do what you want with the RHD lower dash, but it will involve some cutting and possibly welding that will make it look different from the "factory" LHD lower dash.
Old June 28th, 2013, 11:30 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Additionally, if your upper dash looks like the one in the pic, you may want to buy one of those nice new inserts that draaronr has been selling, to cover up the heater hoses. It'll do a lot for the aesthetics of it, and he wasn't asking a ton of money.
Old June 28th, 2013, 11:46 AM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Additionally, if your upper dash looks like the one in the pic, you may want to buy one of those nice new inserts that draaronr has been selling, to cover up the heater hoses. It'll do a lot for the aesthetics of it, and he wasn't asking a ton of money.
I've got a PM into him now. They do look good!
Old June 28th, 2013, 12:23 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Jason, you don't need a lhd conversion, you need a RHD conversion .

Old June 28th, 2013, 12:43 PM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Jason, you don't need a lhd conversion, you need a RHD conversion .
No kidding!
Old June 29th, 2013, 07:40 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

On the conversion the hard money, aside from the dash, is the steering box, heater box, air intake box (under the fender). The dash can be converted over and you could recover the lower dash to cover the change. The middle piece, light grey, is the hard one since it is NLA. But you could fab something up. You will also have to fab or purchase the dash grab handle on the right side. The gauge binnacle is also different but you can use the RHD one if needed.
Old June 29th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
With the ever increasing value of these trucks, my opinion is do it right or don't do it.
I'd rather drive a correct rhd truck than a hack job lhd.
Does any one have a lead or know someone who works in plastics ? I have both a td5 style and the earlier style lying around in boxes and would be interested in having the backing parts copied/knocked off. No I won't sell them so please don't pm me asking. As Mike says the lower dash can be recovered with black vinyl or leather to cover the rhd switch cut outs, the top pads are the same, the end grab handles are available and cheap, the gauge binnacles are also available. the steel backing panels are easily modified from rhd to left with a dremel tool, The bulkhead if you have a correct early truck is already setup for right or left hand drive and is predrilled or dimpled for every fastener. Heaters have gone from $400 up to $800 in the last couple of years. A board member here made the sheet metal parts to convert a rhd heater to left, I'd love to see him make the parts or templates available. Steering box's are the same as d1 or rrc but if you wish to keep the defender style steering setup you need to change the drop arm and the eye on the end of the drag link. I use D1 axles complete with radius arms attached as the later radius arms have a wider bushing surface and are better, and just swap hubs/brakes over. Personally I think the disco steering design is superior as you don't have the damn steering drop arm ball joint that fails so regularly, just easily replacable tie rod ends. I cut the abs sensors off flush with a 4.5 inch cutoff wheel. One of my gripes with half assed conversions is when the wiper rack is left in the rhd config. The parts to onvert the wiper rack are cheap, the tube out of the motor and two wiper arms are it, less than $60 and about an hour to swap the entire thing.

Do it right. Its not that hard, and can be done cheaply if you have modest skill level.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old June 29th, 2013, 10:29 AM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Milks View Post
On the conversion the hard money, aside from the dash, is the steering box, heater box, air intake box (under the fender). The dash can be converted over and you could recover the lower dash to cover the change. The middle piece, light grey, is the hard one since it is NLA. But you could fab something up. You will also have to fab or purchase the dash grab handle on the right side. The gauge binnacle is also different but you can use the RHD one if needed.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
With the ever increasing value of these trucks, my opinion is do it right or don't do it.

Do it right. Its not that hard, and can be done cheaply if you have modest skill level.

I'll do it right. Been talking to a vendor on here that is working on sourcing the parts. The biggest cost is the lower dash, and I figured if I could reuse it and make it look right, I'd be ahead $1700-$1800.

Thanks for the advice, Doug
Old June 29th, 2013, 10:45 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Does any one have a lead or know someone who works in plastics ? I have both a td5 style and the earlier style lying around in boxes and would be interested in having the backing parts copied/knocked off. No I won't sell them so please don't pm me asking. As Mike says the lower dash can be recovered with black vinyl or leather to cover the rhd switch cut outs, the top pads are the same, the end grab handles are available and cheap, the gauge binnacles are also available. the steel backing panels are easily modified from rhd to left with a dremel tool, The bulkhead if you have a correct early truck is already setup for right or left hand drive and is predrilled or dimpled for every fastener. Heaters have gone from $400 up to $800 in the last couple of years. A board member here made the sheet metal parts to convert a rhd heater to left, I'd love to see him make the parts or templates available. Steering box's are the same as d1 or rrc but if you wish to keep the defender style steering setup you need to change the drop arm and the eye on the end of the drag link. I use D1 axles complete with radius arms attached as the later radius arms have a wider bushing surface and are better, and just swap hubs/brakes over. Personally I think the disco steering design is superior as you don't have the damn steering drop arm ball joint that fails so regularly, just easily replacable tie rod ends. I cut the abs sensors off flush with a 4.5 inch cutoff wheel. One of my gripes with half assed conversions is when the wiper rack is left in the rhd config. The parts to onvert the wiper rack are cheap, the tube out of the motor and two wiper arms are it, less than $60 and about an hour to swap the entire thing.

How much do you charge to do it? Like I pay for your ticket and you can stay at my house and convert my truck?

You little rebel, I like you.
Old June 29th, 2013, 10:45 AM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Nevermind
Old June 29th, 2013, 02:45 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Personally I think the disco steering design is superior as you don't have the damn steering drop arm ball joint that fails so regularly, just easily replacable tie rod ends. I cut the abs sensors off flush with a 4.5 inch cutoff wheel. .
Interesting - I have a pair of D1 axles that will go in that blue 110 eventually. When I do the build I was thinking of converting it to LHD. Will look into just doing Disco steering vs the Defender. That drop arm ball seems to split rubber boots as soon as you install them. What about clearance on the Disco setup? I thought the Defender setup wasn't as low hanging.
Old June 29th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Macker
Mack Crouch
1988 110 LS 5.3

Registry
I used d1 axles and steering when building my truck, and the steering works out just fine. The only thing is the steering damper is behind the axle, attached to the track rod. So if you were worried about clearance, you can either add some protection or relocate it to the drag link.
Old June 30th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Doug, It might be cheaper to have the trim piece made in sheet metal? I have heard of a couple guys looking into the plastics but the injection mold was super expensive. I took a RHD trip piece and cut it to work in the larger section. It doesn't look too bad. You just have to make something for the small section.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
conversion, lhd