LHD conversion question - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 30th, 2013, 09:09 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Timing might be really ripe to develop a plastics solution, trademark and patent it to protect your investment and lock up a nice market niche. I can help on the patent and trademark end if something like this gets off the ground.

Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 30th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
How many changes to the original design have to be made for it to not be patent infringement ? Or has the patent been abandoned in the US ? Have to confess to knowing nothing about patent law. Seemingly one could come up with a design that would work with the old upper lower dash but incorporates the 02 design -something rover hasn't done. Seemingly injection molding would be the high volume cost effective way to go but seemingly low volume fiberglass would be cost effective and better end product. Seemingly if one had a cover made for a rhd lower dash to make it work as a lhd and a knock off made of the nla center vent cover part the other parts a readily available for reasonable cost. I went ahead and contacted Coverlay Manufacturing this morning.

Matt- dash/heater parts alone for a lhd conversion if you go out and purchase new exceed $5k, if you can find them. The steering knuckle and axle are the easy to source bits. I would estimate it takes 25-30hrs to do a conversion depending on the truck as each seemingly presents its own unique problems.

------ Follow up post added June 30th, 2013 09:58 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Interesting - I have a pair of D1 axles that will go in that blue 110 eventually. When I do the build I was thinking of converting it to LHD. Will look into just doing Disco steering vs the Defender. That drop arm ball seems to split rubber boots as soon as you install them. What about clearance on the Disco setup? I thought the Defender setup wasn't as low hanging.
Just utilize the clamp on stabilizer bracket ala RTE and remove the stabilizer behind the axle setup and you are golden. Way mo betta/ robust

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old June 30th, 2013, 11:00 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post

Matt- dash/heater parts alone for a lhd conversion if you go out and purchase new exceed $5k, if you can find them.
That's probably more expensive than buying a blown up LHD ex-MOD with dash in tact and importing it. I think I'll stick with my plan of just putting power windows in the front doors to avoid the daily pain at the gate.

You little rebel, I like you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 30th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
That's probably more expensive than buying a blown up LHD ex-MOD with dash in tact and importing it. I think I'll stick with my plan of just putting power windows in the front doors to avoid the daily pain at the gate.
The active word being "new" Matthew. If you have a line on lhd ex mods being parted lets talk.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old June 30th, 2013, 12:00 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Sent you a PM Doug

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
conversion, lhd