Let's talk brakes - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 2nd, 2015, 02:14 AM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

Thanks Viton. Sounds just like what is up with mine. So you just took the hose off the fitting where it enters the booster and used the Mityvac there as opposed to removing the hose from the intake and checking it that way? So I assume you just hook it all up and pump the handle a a few times to get about 15-22 pounds of pressure,not sure if that is the correct terminology, as that is what the motor usually produces? Then you see if it holds it for a least 5 minutes? Correct?

So you did not hear a leak before the test?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 2nd, 2015, 02:51 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

As for my hearing, , to quote Uncle Louie in Christmas Vacation, "You couldn't hear a dynamite truck in a nitroglycerin plant" would closely describes mine. After all, I drive a Defender

If you want, you could use the hose from the engine end and check the hose too.
The parts are in this order engine, hose, 1 way valve (plastic & held in a rubber gasket/grommet to the boost chamber). Check the hose for cracks & wear/rub spots. If it needs replaced, NAPA has vacuum hose by the foot. It is stiff walled and will not collapse from the vacuum pressure.

The amount of vacuum you list is correct to hold.
Old June 2nd, 2015, 10:40 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

It's most certainly the booster. Checked it today and could hear hissing. Decided just for the hell of it to tighten the four nuts that hold the booster to the pedal box. They all were loose. Result was dramatic improvement in braking power. Unreal. Seems odd to me that was it. Was able to lock up the fronts in driveway while backing out. Went over to a gravel parking lot and was able to verify fronts locking up but not rears. Not sure if I am expecting to much to lock up all 4 or I need to replace those old rear calipers. But nonetheless I am happy with the performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 3rd, 2015, 11:27 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

All wheels do not get the same braking fluid pressure. The portioning valve on the passenger side firewall causes less to go to the rears. In braking. most of your braking power is in the front because this is where most of the weight of the vehicle is transferred to while braking. Try hard braking in deep sand sometime, the front tires dig in deep while the rears hardly at all, (you may get stuck)

Glad to hear your problem was simple to fix. May want to put some blue Loctite on those booster nuts.
Old June 25th, 2015, 04:13 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

Sorry Viton I never saw your response. But yes I need to put loctite on there.

So the system was working much better for a while but it seems to have gone down hill a bit since then. Hard to say if what I did actually fixed it. I still think I need a new booster.

On that note was reading a similar thread on Pirate 4x4 and folks recommended fitting a double diaphragm booster off of a Disco I for added pressure. Never heard of that before. Anyone have any knowledge or experience with that? If so are there multiple boosters for a DI? Rovers North and AB seem to only offer the one.
Thanks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
brake