Lets talk about HOT seatbox solutions - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 6th, 2016, 02:33 PM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPdotCOM View Post
Yeah, did Jason do the same? Just trying to figure out if it'd hold up to the elements, if so, gonna buy same-day amazon right now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Jason stuck the insulation on the inside and then covered it with an Exmoor mat. I have some radio equipment in my seatbox that needs to be kept from overheating so it needs to be insulated from the underside.
Yes. What Dave said.

I'm not sure the Dynamat-type material would hold up to the elements if installed on the underside of the vehicle. I don't know for sure though.

Some of the jeepers here in Idaho get the underside of their jeeps Rhinolined to insulate against heat and noise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 6th, 2016, 03:31 PM
hcdmueller
Chris Mueller
88 D-90

Dave,
I went with cheaper insulation on my seat box, front bulkhead and roof. Everything is great until the temp gets over 95ish. I have an exmoor mat system in my truck too.

The problem is long trips. Heat soak takes over after a while and the front mat turns into a frying pan. I need to redo the exterior insulation with some top of the line stuff and hopefully be more comfortable when the outside temps go over 100. I even have a pretty good AC setup running now and after a while it is just overwhelmed because of the lack of insulation.
Old July 7th, 2016, 12:18 PM
lmwong
Lincoln Wong
Defender 110

Registry
Sorry if this is off topic but it's sort of related. What do you do about the holes on the seatbox before adding this insulation? I have a 3 inch hole on the under side of my passenger seat box (????) and various other 1 inch or smaller holes that allow passage of air and water. Do you plug them up before covering with insulation or dynamat? Or do you just put lining over it and forget about them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 7th, 2016, 12:19 PM
DPdotCOM
Dan Pollock
1983 Defender 3 Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmwong View Post
Sorry if this is off topic but it's sort of related. What do you do about the holes on the seatbox before adding this insulation? I have a 3 inch hole on the under side of my passenger seat box (????) and various other 1 inch or smaller holes that allow passage of air and water. Do you plug them up before covering with insulation or dynamat? Or do you just put lining over it and forget about them?
I'm going to start by covering with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old July 7th, 2016, 12:35 PM
Vunkle
Virgil Broussard
1997 defender 90

I'm interested in the stuff that javelinadave is talking about. I'd rather put something on the underside of the truck, possibly the inside of the seat box. I have new floor boards and such and don't want to put a bunch of crap all over them.
Old July 7th, 2016, 10:03 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

There are plenty of aluminized heat barriers out there Thermo-Tec : Adhesive Backed Heat Barrier

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions