Let the games begin...paint stripping 101 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 18th, 2016, 04:27 PM
Chowbird
Tim
'84 D90

Let the games begin...paint stripping 101

'84 90 LHD 3.5v8. I have holes in my bulkhead (sounds like a country song). I could just body filler over them and repaint, but what fun would that be. Sooooo, I'm going to replace the bulkhead. Lots of body shops saying sure bring it in, but again, what fun would that be 😄 So I'm going to attempt this myself because I want to and I'm figuring it will be the ultimate learning experience as I expand my knowledge base with all things rover. Gotta start sometime, right? I have the appropriate tools, welder, etc (do moderate work on my old bronco), and can turn a wrench and swear with the best of them. My intial question (of which I'm sure there will be many and I'm am greatly appreciative of this forum) is about paint stripping ala Rover. As I take each body piece off, my plan is to clean it, TCL it, and paint it. If it's already coming off, why not. I'm not a fan of inhaling/injesting/wearing paint stripping chemicals and someone's gonna lose an eye if I attempt blasting, so my question is can you use a normal good quality sander/polisher and some good quality hook and loop sanding discs to remove the old paint on whatever material du jour Land Rover used to make my body panels? Some body panels are still in good shape. Maybe more than not. Is it total blasphemy to consider painting over these? Thanks for any advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 18th, 2016, 05:08 PM
Chowbird
Tim
'84 D90

Thx for the pix, Jeff. It's original paint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
paint, trip