Legality of tire on hood - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 28th, 2016, 08:04 AM
Camel 422
Barry
1993 d110

Registry
Legality of tire on hood

Wanted to know if there is any fodder for good argument to keep my tire on hood . Most forum end up " check you local authority " but in my case they ( local brain trust aka authority ) have a hard time tying their shoes , and if anything is different than joe bobs f150 then it cant be all - that good .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 28th, 2016, 08:14 AM
ranewman
Rick Newman
85 Defender 110

The first time I had my 110 inspected....the was a trooper testing a tech to do inspections in the next bay. When they lowered the car down, the trooper asked the tech why the car failed....and he had no clue. Trooper advised that a hood scoop cannot be more than 3 inches high....in the Commonwealth of VA. Needless to say I thought all was lost as my tire was mounted on the hood. After I pasted the inspection....to my surprise I ask the trooper why my tire didn't cause my truck to fail. He advised that the hood mounted tire was how the truck came from the factory...there fore it was stock and not a mod.......
Hope this helps.
97 Disco SD "Emma" (250k and going strong)
95 P38 "Gus" RIP
99 P38 Callaway Edition #106 RIP
85 Defender 110 2.5NA "Margret"
01 D2 SE7 "Cuzn It" (blown up POS)
03 D2 SE "Fred"
Hoarder of 2.5 NAD parts
"In God we trust. Everyone else keep their fucking hands where they can be seen."
Old May 31st, 2016, 08:02 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

It's definitely a grey area depending on where you live. I've had a hood mounded spare registered and inspected in nj and ny. If I can get it done there with no questions asked Pennsytuckey shouldn't be an issue

Also just tell them it came like that, it's what I say when I get pulled over for people in the back of the truxk with no belts or seats...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2016, 09:05 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Ive had many police, sherriff and highway patrol see my hood mount tire upclose and not say a thing. dont give it any thought.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old May 31st, 2016, 09:12 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranewman View Post
He advised that the hood mounted tire was how the truck came from the factory...there fore it was stock and not a mod.......
Hope this helps.
Headlight guards also came stock from the factory but they are now illegal in Virginia.
I've only been warned; no tickets.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old May 31st, 2016, 09:17 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

When I got my 109 inspected years ago, the inspector failed it because there was not enough brake lining on the shoes. I went home and brought back a new set of shoes so he could compare.
When he saw they were Genuine shoes, he tried to fail it saying I needed to take the spare off the hood.
After explaining that I worked at the dealership a decade earlier.
Explaining that the stock location for the spare was on the hood and showing him the dished hood to accommodate the spare, he let it pass.
My next request would have been a call to the state police which was not necessary in this case.

If you think it's an issue, why not remove the spare, get the vehicle inspected, and bolt the spare back on afterwards?
There is no law against taking the wheel off the hood to "do some work".

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old May 31st, 2016, 07:58 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
When I got my 109 inspected years ago, the inspector failed it because there was not enough brake lining on the shoes. I went home and brought back a new set of shoes so he could compare.
When he saw they were Genuine shoes, he tried to fail it saying I needed to take the spare off the hood.
After explaining that I worked at the dealership a decade earlier.
Explaining that the stock location for the spare was on the hood and showing him the dished hood to accommodate the spare, he let it pass.
My next request would have been a call to the state police which was not necessary in this case.

If you think it's an issue, why not remove the spare, get the vehicle inspected, and bolt the spare back on afterwards?
There is no law against taking the wheel off the hood to "do some work".
im a Va state inspector, and Rob you're correct, also there is no mention of having to have a spare tire in the va state inspection regulations book.
many more regulations than you ca shake a stick at.
no reverse light needed if the vehicle did not come equipped with it, even new 2016.
2/32nds of brake material minimum same with tires... no retreads on cars and trucks but allowed on rear axles of commercial vehicles to include school buses.
just in case you wanna kill a couple of hrs reading rules and regulations in va safety (lol) program

Vol. 28 Iss. 24 (Final Regulation) 19VAC30-70, Motor Vehicle Safety Inspection Rules And Regulations July 30, 2012
Old May 31st, 2016, 08:28 PM
pl626
Peter
1995 Range Rover County SWB

Registry
Legality of tire on hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
Headlight guards also came stock from the factory but they are now illegal in Virginia.

I remember when this kicked in over a decade ago. Inspector told me it was considered an "obstruction". He removed them for me, then told me I could put them on when I got home, but I may get cited for it, so they've stayed off. At least it's not as bad as MD...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pc

'95 RRC SWB
'95 RRC LWB (Sold)
'06 E350 Sport
'87 HD FLST w/ '02 Fatboy sheetmetal
'02 Hobie Getaway
Old May 31st, 2016, 09:07 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Register as antique. ... No issues. Period.
Old May 31st, 2016, 09:46 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Ding ding ding we have a winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Register as antique. ... No issues. Period.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old June 1st, 2016, 05:33 AM
FirstTithonus
Dustin
1994 NAS 90 #313

It was mentioned the first time I got a Tithonus inspected here in Pennsylvania. The tech ended up passing it due to the height of the top of the tire not being more than three inches above the bottom of the windshield.
Old June 1st, 2016, 06:35 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
I never thought I would see the day that other states are more hostile to Defenders than California. All we care about is the smog pollution. No "safety" inspection required.

Old June 1st, 2016, 11:10 AM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

Or...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
MOVE TO IOWA ... No issues. Period.
Old June 1st, 2016, 11:26 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post

As far as I know those were a dealer add-on in most cases. They are also made removable with those thumb screws.
Old June 1st, 2016, 11:50 AM
carlosz
Carlos

Registry
the regulations of course and needless to say vary in every state, such as maryland you only get inspected once in the lifetime of the current owner... that is I can own it for ten yrs or ten days and if not inspected i don't get a title. as soon as I inspect, I get a title.
as soon as I sell it, the new owner re inspects.

of course it varies on the person be mechanic or state police officer performing the inspection and how he/she reads, interprets and acts on what the manual says. thus it is objective. here in va you don't need a muffler to pass state inspection but you will get pulled over and cited by police for not having one, you're allowed flex pipe and pipe repairs but no repairs on muffler.

same goes with window tint, I cannot enforce and fail you for it but you can get pulled over and cited. here is the kicker.... no stickers are allowed on the windshield or front windows unless they are official such as dod and the like.

in maryland and dc you cannot have window tint at time of inspection, must have factory or oem exhaust and you cannot use flex pipe.

in va and md private certified facilities and inspectors will inspect your vehicle, you meet the inspector (here is where the objective personality comes in play) I have seen it many times, if the inspector likes you or your car you're in the game he doesn't you are fudged... we could argue what is right or wrong about this scenario but in the end its your time which is being wasted.

call state police and complaint, set your self to deeper scrutiny by having and official inspect your car to verify dispute, or simply find a station that is less objective and willing to lick and stick.

in dc it is the police whom inspect your jalopy and decision to pass or fail is final.. still open to objectivity, you don't meet the official (to guard their safety) and that is it .

you get my drift?....
Old June 1st, 2016, 12:14 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
DC has no safety inspection anymore. Only for Taxicabs and the like. Tailpipe emissions for non OBDII vehicles and gas cap sniff, OBDII check for newer stuff. That's it.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old June 1st, 2016, 12:38 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosz View Post
call state police and complaint, set your self to deeper scrutiny by having and official inspect your car to verify dispute, or simply find a station that is less objective and willing to lick and stick.

I have a guy who is very compliant.

Last year I made the mistake of going to a new shop for an inspection because of time issues.
They flagged me immediately because I didnt have my Hella covers on and I had visible rub spots on my radius arms....
I stopped the inspection and went back to my old place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
As far as I know those were a dealer add-on in most cases. They are also made removable with those thumb screws.
yeah, you're probably right on the headlight guards---but who wants to take them off all the time??

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old June 1st, 2016, 03:04 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
It's amazing what can fail you.

My 02 RR passed everything in the inspection until the inspector went to do the paperwork. The lighting behind the odometer was burnt out making it unreadable. Couldn't get the mileage. Fail.
Old June 1st, 2016, 03:07 PM
Camel 422
Barry
1993 d110

Registry
Thanks guys you rock ! Plus ( with less logic applied ) if they don't like old rovers with their funny little bits they could kiss my muffler .
Old June 1st, 2016, 04:32 PM
carlosz
Carlos

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
DC has no safety inspection anymore. Only for Taxicabs and the like. Tailpipe emissions for non OBDII vehicles and gas cap sniff, OBDII check for newer stuff. That's it.
nice, good info to know... I just renewed my licenses and altho we spoke of the dc emissions test, we did not go in details this time.
I learned about dc in past classes and some time in a past life I was md inspector. thus quoted
form past experiences...

frigging party pooper....lol..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions