Legality of tire on hood - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 1st, 2016, 05:03 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
I have a guy who is very compliant.

Last year I made the mistake of going to a new shop for an inspection because of time issues.
They flagged me immediately because I didnt have my Hella covers on and I had visible rub spots on my radius arms....
I stopped the inspection and went back to my old place.

yeah, you're probably right on the headlight guards---but who wants to take them off all the time??

officially, I cannot write my own vehicles because of my work with local government, thus I fall at the mercy of the guillotine.
knowing what I know I try and cover my butt by going full legal just for that dreaded day. shortly before I wrecked my 95 classic an inspector had failed me for a missing exhaust manifold bolt which amazingly did not leak, but failed to notice a broken engine mount.

forward 4 yrs and its out of body shop recently painted all led lighting, new brakes, rotors, tires windshield and wipers among other things...
he the inspector had the nerve of telling me that my truck lite led head lamps where non
compliant because they are non oem and that because he did not have a socket to fit the lug nuts he could not verify my brakes thus he was failing me.

I proceeded to show him my license, informed him of his non compliance, pointed out the sae and dot certification on the headlights and my intent to follow up with va state police due to his non compliance at being unable to remove lug nut due to the lack of tools.

his service writer and him immediately changed their tune, apologized for their "overlooking" and "mistake" and wrote a pass sticker.
I felt he was trying to have one me since this was his second strike, I spoke with my enforcing trooper whom said he would follow up.
can't say if he did or not...and once again open to objectivity and interpretation.

some stations kick back to inspectors who fail cars, hoping the customer agrees to pay 10 bucks to replace a light bulb and its where some of these issues come into play.

state police may meal well with this program but ultimately it is up to the guy with the wrench.

hell enough on this subject, it angers me that my profession is marred by so many unscrupulous
people just to make a buck.

good luck to all members whose state laws make them have to fall under the guillotine of the yearly safety and emissions inspections....

c/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2016, 07:22 PM
pl626
Peter
1995 Range Rover County SWB

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosz View Post
officially, I cannot write my own vehicles because of my work with local government, thus I fall at the mercy of the guillotine.

knowing what I know I try and cover my butt by going full legal just for that dreaded day. shortly before I wrecked my 95 classic an inspector had failed me for a missing exhaust manifold bolt which amazingly did not leak, but failed to notice a broken engine mount.

forward 4 yrs and its out of body shop recently painted all led lighting, new brakes, rotors, tires windshield and wipers among other things...

he the inspector had the nerve of telling me that my truck lite led head lamps where non

compliant because they are non oem and that because he did not have a socket to fit the lug nuts he could not verify my brakes thus he was failing me.

I proceeded to show him my license, informed him of his non compliance, pointed out the sae and dot certification on the headlights and my intent to follow up with va state police due to his non compliance at being unable to remove lug nut due to the lack of tools.

his service writer and him immediately changed their tune, apologized for their "overlooking" and "mistake" and wrote a pass sticker.

I felt he was trying to have one me since this was his second strike, I spoke with my enforcing trooper whom said he would follow up.

can't say if he did or not...and once again open to objectivity and interpretation.

some stations kick back to inspectors who fail cars, hoping the customer agrees to pay 10 bucks to replace a light bulb and its where some of these issues come into play.

state police may meal well with this program but ultimately it is up to the guy with the wrench.

hell enough on this subject, it angers me that my profession is marred by so many unscrupulous

people just to make a buck.

good luck to all members whose state laws make them have to fall under the guillotine of the yearly safety and emissions inspections....

c/
In a few years, Laz will qualify for an antique tag, end of headaches...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pc

'95 RRC SWB
'95 RRC LWB (Sold)
'06 E350 Sport
'87 HD FLST w/ '02 Fatboy sheetmetal
'02 Hobie Getaway
Old June 2nd, 2016, 01:33 PM
carlosz
Carlos

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl626 View Post
In a few years, Laz will qualify for an antique tag, end of headaches...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
aint happening Pete, antique limits the time you drive it. want to enjoy the ownership of my titanically rusty british pos by driving it any time with out limits...

btw and a little off the discussion, sorry op. Pete, I may just may purchase a 2002 p38 westminster edition this weekend, Im traveling to sw buckingham county to look at it and appraise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 2nd, 2016, 03:09 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosz View Post
aint happening Pete, antique limits the time you drive it. want to enjoy the ownership of my titanically rusty british pos by driving it any time with out limits... btw and a little off the discussion, sorry op. Pete, I may just may purchase a 2002 p38 westminster edition this weekend, Im traveling to sw buckingham county to look at it and appraise.
If you buy it, send us a picture. I like my Westminster. I just wish they were numbered like other limited editions.
Old June 2nd, 2016, 03:34 PM
carlosz
Carlos

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
If you buy it, send us a picture. I like my Westminster. I just wish they were numbered like other limited editions.
thanks I will...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions