Legal worst case of legit import - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 24th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Legal worst case of legit import

so I met another Defender owner down in Charlotte, and he's on the prowl for a 110. We talked about the cons of grey market and he stated his preference for sticking iwth NAS due to legal implications when all goes wrong.

I advised him of the 25 year rule and that Defenders, particularly TDI and 110's are being imported now legally. His concern of the legal ramifications of a crash in a 25 year old 110 made me realize that, while we have talked about legally importing Defenders to death, that I haven't seen any thread discussion on liability and insurance coverage on those imports.

So in a crash, are legally imported 25 year old 110's no more legally risky than a NAS 110?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 24th, 2010, 03:58 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

So in a crash, are legally imported 25 year old 110's no more legally risky than a NAS 110?

Yes. Only issue you will have is convincing your insurance to give you decent money for the truck or to repair the truck. Now if it is sketchy and a vin swap etc. then it is a different story.
Old August 24th, 2010, 05:17 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

The best way to insure any Defender is an agreed policy. I have a restored truck and the insurance company had an independent appraisal done and we agreed on a total loss payout in the event the truck is stolen, wrecked, etc. Chubb has this type of policy, I do know somebody who had to use this type of policy on a ROW Spec D-110 and it was no issue.

tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 24th, 2010, 05:37 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

From basic coverage stand point there shouldnt be issues with insuring it as you would with any other legal 25 year old vehicle. Now that they are legal and being sold here could help show a baseline of worth for write off but that fight is tough. I went through that with my insurance after my 94 was written off and they came back and said it's value was only $14k only because that all they could find. I challanged that and asked them to show me this non-exisitany $14k and if they could I would take the 14. They couldnt. Now if I were to get a non-nas legal 110, I would bite the bullet and insure it for replacement value, nor book value.

Grey market stuff would scare me since there's all kinds of trouble that could arise from that if you aren't 100% upfront about it.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old August 24th, 2010, 08:04 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

My insurance guy said they'll give me a base policy for liability for about 300 bucks. Additional coverage is available but they want to inspect it. I asked specifically about the age of the truck and the fact that it is an import and hecsaid that it really doesn't matter as long as the paperwork is legit.

Oh, yeah it's for a 1983 D110 truck cab with a 200tdi
Old August 24th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
The best way to insure any Defender is an agreed policy. I have a restored truck and the insurance company had an independent appraisal done and we agreed on a total loss payout in the event the truck is stolen, wrecked, etc. Chubb has this type of policy, I do know somebody who had to use this type of policy on a ROW Spec D-110 and it was no issue.

tom
What he said. Not an issue. If you are trying to get full coverage most insurers will require an appraisal or @ a minimum have the agent take pictures for the underwriter-but thats for replacement coverage not liability.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 24th, 2010, 09:11 PM
JBinAlabama
john
Series 2A ..more parts on the way

Cool Topic

Another issue with agreed value policies is there is typically an annual mileage limit.
I have such a policy on a Cobra now and its 6,000 miles per year.

The good news is they are reasonable in terms of auto current replacement value!
JB
Old August 24th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
I was only able to get liability on my truck through Nationwide.
Old August 25th, 2010, 08:35 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Insurance underwriters are basically Bookies. Given the right amount of money, exclusions, and limitations anything can be written up.
The problem that might be more of a potential issue for a "gray market" vehicle would be related to liability in the case of an accident. That's where you really need to make sure your vehicle has some proof of meeting all DOT standards.
Old August 25th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
My 110 is on an agreed value ( as everything I own is ) . with Atlantic Mutual. ( no inspection )

Also , Hagertty will cover your ROW, Classic etc on agreed value. ( must send 6 pics - 1 of every corner, 1 interior and 1 engine compartment )

Once the policy is written there is nothing else to talk when the claim arises, other than seat and patiently wait for your check in the amount agreed
Old August 25th, 2010, 09:23 AM
EricWS
Eric Siepmann
1966 Land Rover Series 2a SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevkon View Post
Insurance underwriters are basically Bookies. Given the right amount of money, exclusions, and limitations anything can be written up.
The problem that might be more of a potential issue for a "gray market" vehicle would be related to liability in the case of an accident. That's where you really need to make sure your vehicle has some proof of meeting all DOT standards.

That's actually funny in it's ignorance. UW's aren't bookies and most insurance companies have large decliantion rates. Not all risk is profitable.

Endorsements, not legislation, will determine what is covered or not. Get caught and they can reserve coverage you are screwed.

------ Follow up post added August 25th, 2010 08:25 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
My 110 is on an agreed value ( as everything I own is ) . with Atlantic Mutual. ( no inspection )

Also , Hagertty will cover your ROW, Classic etc on agreed value. ( must send 6 pics - 1 of every corner, 1 interior and 1 engine compartment )

Once the policy is written there is nothing else to talk when the claim arises, other than seat and patiently wait for your check in the amount agreed
Not really. A written policy doesn't mean you have any coverage. You actually have to read the policy to determine coverage. You could have made a huge mistake and bought a useless policy for your needs that doesn't cover your risks.

------ Follow up post added August 25th, 2010 08:29 AM ------

There are no commonalities among carriers and coverage. You have to talk with an agent and discuss the risks you want to cover. State Farm will write a legally imported D110 all day if you have limited losses and a good driving record. State Farm covered my 65 with no issue and it was better than the boutique carriers specializing in vintage cars.
Old August 25th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I was declined by Hagerty because my 110 had a "raised air intake" and the underwriter assumed I would take it off road.
Little did they know....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dry Run2.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	408.5 KB
ID:	30414  

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old August 25th, 2010, 02:58 PM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricWS View Post
That's actually funny in it's ignorance. UW's aren't bookies and most insurance companies have large decliantion rates. Not all risk is profitable.
No it's not ignorance, though it might be funny. It's all about the odds. All risk can be profitable, though perhaps not likely, practical, and especially wise. My wife has worked for Chubb for 20 yrs in Personal lines. I've seen all sorts of bizarre coverage. As long as you are willing to pay and accept the restrictions and deductibles.
More to the point is the issue of "gray market" vehicles and what the insurance company ( as well as the insured) knows about them.
Old August 25th, 2010, 05:05 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

This concerns me too, Geico (who i'm insured by) currently tells me that they do no value assessment of any kind until there is a claim made, and when they do they would go by the "cash value" (their words) which "is determined by what's in the book" (their words).

I explained it wouldn't be in the book...

This seems the exact opposite as it should be, maybe I should look into getting a private 3rd party appraisal just to have.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
import