Left rear brake Light Out, and I mean Out! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 8th, 2004, 04:59 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Left rear brake Light Out, and I mean Out!

I have a 95 d-90 soft top, and my drivers side rear brake light is out and it is not the bulb. I had it looked at by my great mechanic here in Dallas, and after some diagnostic attempts to find the source of the issue we decided I needed to leave it with him and let him really pull it apart to see what it is. I think a great deal of Allen but he also thinks alot of his services. I would love to hear if any of you have had this problem to see what you guys did to fix it. I had an MG for my first car so it is not that troubling to me to have these type of issues from a british car, but I could use some encouragement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 8th, 2004, 05:08 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

simple fix SEARCH!

its the bulb holder
Old December 8th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hmmm, most of the time on 95s it is the socket for the bulb but from what you say it seems like that is OK? You may want to check the wires behind the speakers in the rear, thats where all the break light wiring runs up to. Oh and because there have been a few times when it was the problem after checking a ton of other things first did you check the fuse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 8th, 2004, 05:27 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

I have looked at the fuse, however Land Rover Dallas (my FORMER mechanic) sprayed water into the dash vents and into the fuse box the last time I took my truck to them. They could have fried the fuse beyond replacement repair.
Old December 8th, 2004, 05:28 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
I had the same problem and both times it was the bulb holder getting wet and corroding. Water from your back tire splashes directly on the wires and bulb holder. Land Rover has a repair kit with a rubber boot that is supposed to fix the problem, though in my case it did not. After the second time replacing, it I fabricated an aluminun splash guard to redirect the water spray. After 3 years I have had no more problems. I think the left side is more easily effected becasue the right side is slighlty protected by the fuel filler tube.
Old December 8th, 2004, 05:34 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM
I have looked at the fuse, however Land Rover Dallas (my FORMER mechanic) sprayed water into the dash vents and into the fuse box the last time I took my truck to them. They could have fried the fuse beyond replacement repair.
I don't think water would do all that much damage other then corrosion, I hose mine down all the time and it is works (normally better then after being cleaned). Try pulling out the fuse, most of the time the corrosion is right at the fuse and after a while it won't conduct electricity or it will short out the fuse.
Old December 8th, 2004, 09:31 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

I had to take mine apart. On a 1994 all the wiring is behind the speaker box. Same for the 95? If so, check the connections. Again, mine is so F@$@ed that when I posted for help, I got some really funny replies. An electrical gauge will help. Do not ask why, but replacing the wire crimp did it. If I had not see mthe shop do it, I would not have believed it. Weird!
Of course, according to the British Land Rover mag.s I buy, this is a rational reason to strip out all the existing wiring and replace it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
brake, ht