Left blinker problem - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 7th, 2006, 10:26 AM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

Left blinker problem

Hi guys, it's been a while since I posted but now I have a new problem,
My left turn signal is blinking very, very quickly. It looks like a strobe. It still serves it's purpose fine but it is getting to be really annoying. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 7th, 2006, 10:39 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Usually that indicates one of the lamps is not flashing. Could be as simple as a bad bulb or more complex as a corroded wire.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old July 7th, 2006, 01:14 PM
CGunther
Christian Gunther
'94 D90

Flasher?

Could it be a bad flasher unit as well? This used to happen on my VW every couple years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 7th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

A bad flasher is possible, but usually they fail and the lights are either constantly on or off, and it would happen to both sides not just the left.

My guess is a burnt out bulb. Check that both the front and rear lights are blinking. If that's not the case, check that the sockets aren't corroded.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old July 7th, 2006, 05:16 PM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

Thanks for the help guys, It's all figured out.
Old July 8th, 2006, 12:00 AM
CGunther
Christian Gunther
'94 D90

??

What was it? You can't leave us hanging like that.
Old February 20th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Shake
Bob Hanson AKA Two-Socks
Red 94 D-90 #428

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustydefender
Thanks for the help guys, It's all figured out.
Ah Man. Similar problem here. Left (Right is normal) Indicator on dash board is blinking at least three times normal speed. Neither Left indicator bulb, (front or rear) is blinking/working. Left front assy was full of water. Dried unit and replaced blown bulb. New bulb blinks in sync with rapid blinking on dash.

Good bulb taken from front, and placed in left REAR turn signal socket. No light, and the rapid blinking on the dash continues. The Left rear housing is fine with no corrosion. The brake and Reverse lights work fine.

Any ideas? What was the fix for the original problem?
Old February 22nd, 2007, 09:04 PM
Shake
Bob Hanson AKA Two-Socks
Red 94 D-90 #428

Anybody hear of a tech service bulletin on the Left rear turn signals? Dealer service said there was a problem with the connectors corroding on the turn signals(Even in healthy looking lamp assemblies). There is supposed to be a fix it kit that the dealers installed on most Ds. Rubber boot and clamp on the bulb too.
Old February 26th, 2007, 08:02 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Bob, use a multi-meter to check the voltage at the connectors going to the bulb. Compare to the right side to see what a "good" reading is. since you can poke around, it will help identify a problem with a bad bulb holder or issu right at the bulb.

From the sounds of it you have a bad connection somewhere. If you don't get power to the connectors when the flasher is on, remove the rear speaker (or entire enclosure) and check the connectors there for corrosion.

I am still going through issues with bad ground on my truck. A quick test for a grounf problem is to run a wire direct from the negative battery terminal to the negative connector at the bulb. if that makes the bulb flash, you have a bad ground connection.

hth
charles
Old February 26th, 2007, 09:53 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Bob, are the contacts clean? Clean them and put some dielectric grease on the contacts, it keeps the corrosion down on them.
Old February 26th, 2007, 09:58 PM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
Guys I know this is a shameless plug but it may be helpful to someone later when they do a search. We make a harness fix kit see links:
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/8959ABP.cfm

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/8958ABP.cfm

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.
Eric
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

Old February 27th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

"Anybody hear of a tech service bulletin on the Left rear turn signals? Dealer service said there was a problem with the connectors corroding on the turn signals(Even in healthy looking lamp assemblies). There is supposed to be a fix it kit that the dealers installed on most Ds. Rubber boot and clamp on the bulb too."

Bob,
The repairs you are talking about were for the 95 & 97 D90. 94's with the square lights rarely had issues. Check the gang plugs behind the speakers.
Old February 27th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Shake
Bob Hanson AKA Two-Socks
Red 94 D-90 #428

Thanks to all. Good ideas. The front assembly was corroded to dust. Ordered new ARB light assemblies from BA. Need to check voltage anyway though. Might need those parts, Eric. No worries.

Stupid question: Do bulbs have to be in both the front and rear tail lights for the circuit to be complete? Or if one is horked do they both not work?

Seems odd that they both went at one time. Hmmm Wonder if Body shop hooked up the wrong wire when they installed the ARB bumper and replacement wing. I had an X-tra wire (I wrapped it up in duct tape before they worked on it) in the same area as the rest of the light wires.

Any chance that would have been a 24 Volt wire and blew the crap out of it? If so, wouldn't the fuse blow, and there would be now power to front or rear?

Rob - You remember Steve Rumnoch? Rovers East
Rear contacts and wires IN the rear assy are spotless - look new.
Old February 28th, 2007, 11:27 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

If one is out the other will still work just flash fast. I had the whole left side lights and dash lights go out when the fuse they are on blew. Will never understand why the dash is on the same fuse as the side lights.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old February 28th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Noah
Noah
95 D90 TDI

2 cents: the bike innertube trick works REALLY well. I used to have blinkers go out nearly every time it rained, etc. I cut about 6-7" of tube and have one end squeezed over the back end of the assembly and the other end zip tied tight around the wires. Have not had a blinker or light go out since (all winter!)
Old March 2nd, 2007, 01:23 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake
Any chance that would have been a 24 Volt wire and blew the crap out of it? If so, wouldn't the fuse blow, and there would be now power to front or rear?
It is pretty rare to find 24V on a 12V electric system.... The battery produces 12V, same for the alternator.... There is no need to create 24V for any component of the truck (unless you built your own stereo amplifier and went the 24V route to get more power....).

That's not a 24V problem.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah
2 cents: the bike innertube trick works REALLY well. I used to have blinkers go out nearly every time it rained, etc. I cut about 6-7" of tube and have one end squeezed over the back end of the assembly and the other end zip tied tight around the wires. Have not had a blinker or light go out since (all winter!)
Also used the grease trick (any thick non conductive grease will do) and it worked great. Probably not as "clean" as using an innertube! [the grease trick might not be the best for hot climates....]
My truck was never fitted with the rubber boot that was mentioned here!
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old March 2nd, 2007, 08:12 PM
Shake
Bob Hanson AKA Two-Socks
Red 94 D-90 #428

Thanks for the advice folks. Maybe I can get to it this Sun. Much appreciated.
Old May 16th, 2007, 11:20 PM
jdempsey
Jason Dempsey
94/ D90/ Red

I have a 94 D90. I need a bulb holder (small plastic clip) for the brake light and I can not find one anywheree...anyone know where I can get one?
Old May 18th, 2007, 11:38 AM
jdempsey
Jason Dempsey
94/ D90/ Red

fixed it.
Old June 26th, 2007, 08:43 PM
jdempsey
Jason Dempsey
94/ D90/ Red

Help!!! Need photo of left hand indicator holder with wires connected

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions