LED's installs - Lets see 'em - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 4th, 2007, 05:49 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
LED's installs - Lets see 'em

After much ado, the group buy was taken care of and I could get down to the business of installing my bling new Rubbolite Model 837 LED's kindly supplied by Mike at ECR.

The flasher module is simplicity itself. Take out the old one hiding behind the fuse panel (easy to get to in a 94/95, or much harder in a 97). Conveniently this is labled "Land Rover Flasher." Only difference is 4 pins on the old one and 3 on the new, it works perfectly though.

The last two pics shows the reason I was very keen on replacing my tail lights with the sealed LED's - you can see the units are nicely filling with water. I've had all sorts of wierd electrical gremlins that were caused by corroded connectors/wiring in these units or failed bulbs.

I used Delphi Weatherpack connectors to install my LED's. These seemed more weatherproof than the stock ones, at least the pins have more metal in them and can't break off so easily.

John Reece tells me that he sourced the male side of the OEM connector from British Wiring. He says that the two connector halves appear to fit together better than the OEM design of the connector mating to the bulb receptacle. Maybe he'll chime in here with his experience.

I still need to take pix of the installed units, showing the wiring and the bling-o-licious lights themselves, and I'm inviting anyone else to post pix and show off your newly-lighted-Rover-rears. Maybe that will help spur you to get them out of the box and onto your truck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0669 - resized.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	8439   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0670 - resized.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	8440  

Name:	DSCF0671 - resized.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	8441   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0674-resized.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	8442  

Name:	DSCF0675 - resized.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	8443  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Troys
Troy Smith
1995 D90 SW

Exclamation

On behalf of those of us who ordered them I want to extend a huge THANK YOU to James for handling the group buy. Mine arrived Friday I we really appreciate your efforts. Thanks to Mike at ECR for his help too.

Troy
Old March 4th, 2007, 11:26 PM
trislerjw
JT
97 D-90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troys
On behalf of those of us who ordered them I want to extend a huge THANK YOU to James for handling the group buy. Mine arrived Friday I we really appreciate your efforts. Thanks to Mike at ECR for his help too.

Troy
Ditto on that, thanks for takin out the pains of doing that individually, I should get mine goin tomorrow (would have tonight but that damn 97 console is being a bitch to get off!)
-Pics to come! (mine were all red, including my front flashers)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2007, 11:47 PM
4x4sche
john
73 SIII_ 97 D90_94 Disco

Problem with 4 flashers.

If you are installing all four flashers you may have a problem. The opposite side from the side that is flashing shows a dim flash. I think this is because of the dash warning lamp...anyone else have this issue?

John
Old March 6th, 2007, 01:43 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

I'm jealous. I missed the group buy, and ECR doesn't have the LED's in stock. They emailed me on January 8 it would only be about 2 weeks before they're back in stock, but it hasn't happened so far.

'gotta figure something out soon. I've already cludged things a few times, and been stopped by the police once. BTW, wrapping in the lamp assembly on the inside of the wheelwell in duct tape doesn't work real well.
Old March 6th, 2007, 01:54 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Anyone have pics on what they look like installed? At night?

Old March 6th, 2007, 02:39 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryO
I'm jealous. I missed the group buy, and ECR doesn't have the LED's in stock. They emailed me on January 8 it would only be about 2 weeks before they're back in stock, but it hasn't happened so far.

'gotta figure something out soon. I've already cludged things a few times, and been stopped by the police once. BTW, wrapping in the lamp assembly on the inside of the wheelwell in duct tape doesn't work real well.
Barry, hold that thought, I just got my group by package today...I have a 94 with the square instead of round lamps, if after removing my lamps and it not being a simple swap, I might have mine for sale.
Old March 6th, 2007, 11:28 PM
trislerjw
JT
97 D-90 ST

This just in!

Here are the rears. BIG BIG BIG difference in brightness! Amazing. I have found some side "LED bulbs" for the rest of the side markers that may work .. should be able to test them this week. but here are some pics.

Follow-up Post:

I just finished the install on the front 2 flashers, and now any signaling results in all 4 flashing, it only started once I finished the front ones. I did notice some dimming (as mentioned by earlier post) on the interior dash panel for the flashing, but I can deal with that. Any ideas on the 4way problem? Thank you
-Jason
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LED001.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	8479   Click image for larger version

Name:	LED002.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	8480  

Name:	LED003.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	8481   Click image for larger version

Name:	LED004.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	8482  

Name:	LED005.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	8483  
Old March 7th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Is the orig. front light a parking light as well? I am not sure about the 90 b/c the 110 is different.
Old March 7th, 2007, 12:33 AM
trislerjw
JT
97 D-90 ST

poooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooop

Well, I spent the last couple of hours scouring the net for any obvious answers to no avail. Guess I wont be driving anywere soon that requires turning...
Old March 7th, 2007, 01:22 AM
4x4sche
john
73 SIII_ 97 D90_94 Disco

Here is why all four flashing if you have fronts and rear leds

OK here is the scoop. The problem happens only on a vehicle with only a single dash flasher warning lamp (instead of one for left and one for right). My 1997 NAS electrical schematic shows a warning lamp for each direction, but my 1997 D90 only has one light on the dash. typically for Rover, the drawing does not represent my reality. If it was wired with two warnng lamps per the drawing, there would be no problem.

Because of the way it is wired, this warning lamp passes current to the flasher lamps on the opposite side. That is because the warning lamp is actually connected between the lamps on each side. When you have the flashers on, one side is connected to the intermittent 12 volt supply from the flasher unit, and the other side is connected to ground through the flashers on the opposite side. If you just unplug the dash warning lamp, the problem is fixed....but now you don't have a warning lamp. You don't see this problem with the even one of the old regular lamps installed, because the bulb takes all the current passed via the warning lamp and won't even glow. With all LEDS which need far less current to light, they are lit on the opposite side when you don't want this.

The cure: You can wire a separate warning light for each direction, or you can rewire the single light and add two blocking diodes. (about a dollar from Radio Shack).

Mike from ECR must have seen this, any comment?

John
Old March 7th, 2007, 08:50 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
I used Delphi Weatherpack connectors to install my LED's. These seemed more weatherproof than the stock ones, at least the pins have more metal in them and can't break off so easily.
Hey Jim,

Thanks again for organizing this Group buy for everyone who participated. Since you have installed yours (god knows when I'll get the time to install mine), I was hoping you could share details and photos on how you made the connections to the factory wiring loom. I see the "Butt Splice" connectors on the weatherpack pigtails, did you just cut the factory plug off and crimp on the splice? Seems this method would leave a weak link in the wiring, suspected to corrosion issues and such. Did you seal the Butt Splice with shrink wrap? I'm trying to figure out how I want to do mine, so I thought I would start by seeing how others are making their connections...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 7th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

what about switching out the warning lamp with an LED unit? Would it draw less current than it's regular lamp counterpart? Would that resolve the issue?
Old March 7th, 2007, 09:39 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Is this only occurring when you have all four leds for turning signals or does it happen when you just do the rear install?
Old March 7th, 2007, 10:22 AM
4x4sche
john
73 SIII_ 97 D90_94 Disco

An LED type warning light on its own would not work because of the way the lamp is wired it has to light when the current passes in either direction.

For D Marchand.....it only happens with all four LEDS, I stated this in both my posts above.
Old March 7th, 2007, 10:59 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4sche
For D Marchand.....it only happens with all four LEDS, I stated this in both my posts above.
Thanks for clarifying, I too wasn't clear as to what you meant by 'flashers'.
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:29 AM
trislerjw
JT
97 D-90 ST

Quote:
OK here is the scoop. The problem happens only on a vehicle with only a single dash flasher warning lamp (instead of one for left and one for right). My 1997 NAS electrical schematic shows a warning lamp for each direction, but my 1997 D90 only has one light on the dash. typically for Rover, the drawing does not represent my reality. If it was wired with two warnng lamps per the drawing, there would be no problem.

Because of the way it is wired, this warning lamp passes current to the flasher lamps on the opposite side. That is because the warning lamp is actually connected between the lamps on each side. When you have the flashers on, one side is connected to the intermittent 12 volt supply from the flasher unit, and the other side is connected to ground through the flashers on the opposite side. If you just unplug the dash warning lamp, the problem is fixed....but now you don't have a warning lamp. You don't see this problem with the even one of the old regular lamps installed, because the bulb takes all the current passed via the warning lamp and won't even glow. With all LEDS which need far less current to light, they are lit on the opposite side when you don't want this.

The cure: You can wire a separate warning light for each direction, or you can rewire the single light and add two blocking diodes. (about a dollar from Radio Shack).

Mike from ECR must have seen this, any comment?

John
So to be clear, the 2 blocking diodes will go on the (instrument panel) light? and if I walk into radio shack and say I need 2 blocking diodes. they will know what I mean? Also, will it be as simple as just splicing them into the way of the instrument light?
Thanks
-J (looking hopeful)

Just called Radioshack, They are 79 Cents each, If we are talkin about the same thing (he said they are the only thing that came up when he typed in blocking diode), So I'll go checkem out, see wtf they look like specs etc, and post pics...
-J
Old March 7th, 2007, 12:07 PM
4x4sche
john
73 SIII_ 97 D90_94 Disco

-J.....You need to be hopeful ....and it will help to know what you are actually doing. The diodes have to go in the right way round, the wires have to be connected to the right places, you have to add an extra wire to ground and you have to not cause any other problems, If you understand electrical systems, what I have told you so far is sufficient: If it is not sufficient, then you are asking for step by step instructions, because you don't exactly know what I am talking about: In this case you are at your own risk:

Radio shack won't know them as "blocking diodes". They will know them as 1N4003 diodes. TO BE SURE YOU DON'T HAVE ANY OTHER ISSUES: FIRST Confirm that removing the warning light fixes your problem.

Solution: 1: Use two lamps. Each wire to the dash from the flasher system is hot when that side flasher is ON, so disconnect both wires and wire a separate warning light between each wire and ground. There may be an easy way to do this without any wire cutting by moving the pins in the connector to a new position and using spare lamps. they won't have the correct Icon and you will have to study the panel to follow the wiring on the flex circuit. Not ideal so I did not follow this approach.

Solution 2: Using the exisiting lamp and adding diodes. Will require cutting into existing wiring. At your own risk.

Note each diode has a stripe on it: Cut the wires from the loom to the dash light. connect one side of the dash light to ground. Connect the other side of the dash light to the striped end of both diodes. Connect the other end of each diode to each of the oringinal wires from the loom.

Solution 3:
You can rework a warning lamp by modifying the plastic lamp holder to add the diodes and the extra ground wire. This is the best way and the way I am going to do mine. No mods to the vehicle, just replace the old warning lamp with the modified lamp and connect the extra wire to a convenient ground. Not an easy job to modify because it is tiny, but possible.

You are all on your own from here!
Old March 7th, 2007, 01:40 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepeytr
I see the "Butt Splice" connectors on the weatherpack pigtails, did you just cut the factory plug off and crimp on the splice? Seems this method would leave a weak link in the wiring, suspected to corrosion issues and such. Did you seal the Butt Splice with shrink wrap? I'm trying to figure out how I want to do mine, so I thought I would start by seeing how others are making their connections...
The butt-splice connectors which I supplied are not your typical red ones from the autoparts store. They are marine-grade - the outer cover is a heat-shrink material and they are adhesive lined. Crimp them together, heat them up, and you are good to go.

If you mess one up, dont replace it with a standard one, go to a marine store and get the heat shrink ones like I sent - they are about a dollar each.
Old March 7th, 2007, 06:39 PM
trislerjw
JT
97 D-90 ST

workd

Quote:
-J.....You need to be hopeful ....and it will help to know what you are actually doing. The diodes have to go in the right way round, the wires have to be connected to the right places, you have to add an extra wire to ground and you have to not cause any other problems, If you understand electrical systems, what I have told you so far is sufficient: If it is not sufficient, then you are asking for step by step instructions, because you don't exactly know what I am talking about: In this case you are at your own risk:

Radio shack won't know them as "blocking diodes". They will know them as 1N4003 diodes. TO BE SURE YOU DON'T HAVE ANY OTHER ISSUES: FIRST Confirm that removing the warning light fixes your problem.

Solution: 1: Use two lamps. Each wire to the dash from the flasher system is hot when that side flasher is ON, so disconnect both wires and wire a separate warning light between each wire and ground. There may be an easy way to do this without any wire cutting by moving the pins in the connector to a new position and using spare lamps. they won't have the correct Icon and you will have to study the panel to follow the wiring on the flex circuit. Not ideal so I did not follow this approach.

Solution 2: Using the exisiting lamp and adding diodes. Will require cutting into existing wiring. At your own risk.

Note each diode has a stripe on it: Cut the wires from the loom to the dash light. connect one side of the dash light to ground. Connect the other side of the dash light to the striped end of both diodes. Connect the other end of each diode to each of the oringinal wires from the loom.

Solution 3:
You can rework a warning lamp by modifying the plastic lamp holder to add the diodes and the extra ground wire. This is the best way and the way I am going to do mine. No mods to the vehicle, just replace the old warning lamp with the modified lamp and connect the extra wire to a convenient ground. Not an easy job to modify because it is tiny, but possible.

You are all on your own from here!
Just popped the instrument light out, easy fix, works for now....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions