LED's installs - Lets see 'em - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 5th, 2008, 12:27 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Interesting, i'm going to have to book mark this for later use, I can respect ECR wanting to be more exact, but i have the luxury of doing whatever the heck I want and not worrying about getting paid for it!

I'm glad i'm not them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 5th, 2008, 12:32 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
The LED's are made by Rubbolite, and they sell a light that looks very much like the 94 lights. I think ECR rejected them because they weren't close enough, but their standards are very high. Its difficult to find a distributor for these lights - most places only sell to the trades. Check out the Rubbolite model 312 and 312 at http://www.truck-lite.eu.com/

@ Mike - I wasnt trying to source these to undercut you - but I thought I messed up the group buy and tried to source more - fortunately some people backed out and I was OK in the end.
Yes they are a Rubbo-Lite product.

The square lamps they offer are the same as came on the 93-94s. The lens color on the amber is very slightly different now though (minor) and the clear lens has a different pattern (also minor). If we need replacement 93-94 lamps that is where we get them. We use them for our 110 restos. If you look at a stock 93-94 lens you'll see the Rubbo-Lite cast into the plastic at the top.
They make an LED version of the 93-94 style and I was all excited about it, they even shipped us some, but they forgot to mention they only make it in 24 volt. They will not make us a 12 volt version. Rats!!

No problem with me if people go direct. We had to pay a ton of money to become a wholesale distributor for Rubbo-Lite (now Truck-Lite) so we can usually offer a much better price than a small order than has to be bought retail because of the volume we buy and the discount we get.
Its a good thing you didn't need more because the price wuold have screwed you as I bascially sold the LED group buy units at cost (wholesale cost) not retail that you would have had to pay.

The lamp guards came on 94s and 95-97s as well as a dealer add on. They work with the square and round lights.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old March 5th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Stinks they only make a 24v version of the '94 style lamps. I wonder how the circuitry is done, and how hard it would be to change the resistors to convert them to 12v?

Though I have to say, the #837 tail light units look real nice. A nifty hybrid of the '94 multi-light bank, but with the round lenses. Probably far too much $$$ though to make it worth the swap right now.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 5th, 2008, 12:50 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
Yes they are a Rubbo-Lite product.

The square lamps they offer are the same as came on the 93-94s. The lens color on the amber is very slightly different now though (minor) and the clear lens has a different pattern (also minor). If we need replacement 93-94 lamps that is where we get them. We use them for our 110 restos. If you look at a stock 93-94 lens you'll see the Rubbo-Lite cast into the plastic at the top.
They make an LED version of the 93-94 style and I was all excited about it, they even shipped us some, but they forgot to mention they only make it in 24 volt. They will not make us a 12 volt version. Rats!!

No problem with me if people go direct. We had to pay a ton of money to become a wholesale distributor for Rubbo-Lite (now Truck-Lite) so we can usually offer a much better price than a small order than has to be bought retail because of the volume we buy and the discount we get.
Its a good thing you didn't need more because the price wuold have screwed you as I bascially sold the LED group buy units at cost (wholesale cost) not retail that you would have had to pay.

The lamp guards came on 94s and 95-97s as well as a dealer add on. They work with the square and round lights.
so the 313 and 312 models are 24 volt? thats no fun...
Old March 5th, 2008, 12:55 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkavan01
so the 313 and 312 models are 24 volt? thats no fun...
Yep, that's why I ended up with the round ones, which I like better anyways.
Old March 5th, 2008, 01:43 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I forgot Rubbolite made the originals, but thats right.

I called Royal Truck Bodies, and they were pretty clueless. They use a couple different models for their own work, but as of last years were not prepared (or just unwilling) to order in parts specially.

Old March 5th, 2008, 02:09 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

We order about every 5 weeks, so if folks don't mind a little wait we can get them anything that they sell.

Old March 5th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Right now I've got a lot of other stuff that's broken and I want to fix, before I go upgrading a perfectly functional set of lights. But thanks for the offer. Someday I may just ask about it.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 5th, 2008, 02:12 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Well, there you go.

Mike, what was the reason you rejected the square lights option for the 94's?

Old March 5th, 2008, 03:51 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Mike, what was the reason you rejected the square lights option for the 94's?
I don't understand, sorry.

If you mean why didn't we offer the square LED units for 93-94 Defenders, its because they only make them in 24v.

Old March 5th, 2008, 10:41 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Thats exactly what I meant, and that makes sense, thanks.

Old March 6th, 2008, 07:59 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx
Jim, thanks again for putting the group buy together. I finally have them on the truck. I've very impressed with the ECR LEDs!

I'd like to replace all my side markers and turn signals with their LED version as well.
Ok, how the hell did you install them from Virginia?

Also who's sweet shop is that?

charles
p.s. Keep me in mind for the next group buy.
Old March 6th, 2008, 08:47 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

"They will not make us a 12 volt version. Rats!!"

That sucks . . . .

Ron
Old August 30th, 2012, 12:05 AM
AgRover
Adin
1997 Defender 90 SW Badge #2493

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4sche View Post
I got an LED 3rd light (20 leds) from JC Whitney for about 20 bucks. I have a Station Wagon (=Hard Top) so it sticks to the inside of the back window, just like the original. It is about 1/3 of the depth of the original and weighs much less so it will stay put.

John
Are the other dimensions the same as the stock 3rd brake light? I have Mantec interior window guards. The rear guard has a cutout for the 3rd brake light that I would want matched in size as much as possible. What part number did you order from JC Whitney?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions