led replacement bulbs for dash gauges - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 30th, 2004, 08:01 PM
Marc Weinstein
Marc Weinstein
defender 90 '94

Smile led replacement bulbs for dash gauges

the bulbs needed are 4, #194 equivalent wedge type led replacements. available at most large auto parts stores. You aslo need 1 #1816 equivalent bayonet type led replacement. available at www.ledtronics.com part #BF3126-OCW-014B. probably can get 194's at ledtronics also. All these bulbs are 2-3watt 12-14v specs. i also replaced lower left dimmer switch (old one shot) and now i can see the dash at night. good luck, marc w.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 1st, 2004, 03:50 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Marc,
did these really juice up the dash read out that much?
What wast he total $$ ?
Old November 1st, 2004, 08:59 PM
Marc Weinstein
Marc Weinstein
defender 90 '94

paul, yes, you can actually see the lights during the day,although not like modern dash gauges but, the night visability is way better! Marc W.

Follow-up Post:

paul, yes, you can actually see the lights during the day,although not like modern dash gauges but, the night visability is way better! Marc W. The led bulbs average about 7-10 dollars each.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 2nd, 2004, 04:40 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

the bulbs needed are 4

Marc, do happen to recall which of these bulbs work with which gauges?
Old December 23rd, 2004, 03:30 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

I found this company, whose LED replacement bulbs are *much*cheaper than ledtronics:

http://stores.ebay.com/superlumination

At those prices I can afford to try them out and toss them if I don't like the effect...

EDIT: OK, I just ordered some for my dash. I'll post here how they work out. If good, I might grab some for the side marker/tail/etc.
Old December 24th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Just had a look at my ex-MOD 90. It has 4 type 194 bulbs (2 for speedo and 1 for each gauge).

That eBay store has its own website, which is easier to view and buy from: http://autolumination.com/194.htm

Do NOT get the wide bulds as they are fit into a tunnel (5 LED matrix or 6 LED). I'm not sure what is best, either the 4 LED or the Oval.

Bulbs sepcs here
Old January 5th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I purchased the 4 led focused units in green. They make the gauges about 50% brighter. They do not fully insert into the green filters as they are a little wider than the 194 incandecents but it doesn't seem to matter.
Old November 24th, 2011, 02:10 AM
ttoppins
Anthony Toppins
94 Defender 90

94 NAS Defender 90 LED Dash replacement bulbs

Hi everyone. Thanks to your help I bought and installed replacement bulbs for my dash instruments in my 94 NAS D90. I used the 6 LED Green wedge base bulbs for speedo, fuel and temp. my tachometer used a 9mm bayonet base 4 LED green. They are sooooo much brighter!!! The speedo in particular is extremely bright now but not too much. I also replaced the dome light bulb with a tower bulb. It was expensive but makes a huge difference in cabin lighting at night. Here are the part numbers from superbrightleds.com:

WLED-x6: 6 LED T10 Wedge Base Bulb | $ 3.94 | speedo, fuel, temp
WLED-G6: Green

1156-x18-T: 18HP-LED BA15S Tower Bulb | $ 17.95 | dome light
1156-CW18-T: Cool White

BA9S-x4-x-xV: 4-LED BA9s Bulb | $ 2.98 | tachometer
BA9S-G4-90-12V: Green 90 Degree 12V

www.superbrightleds.com they shipped super fast from st louis.mo. highly recommend them.
Old November 24th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Here's my complete list of all the lights I replaced with LED. Dash gauges were upgraded to VDO Vision Black and I used WLED-GHP5 bulbs for all gauges except tach which is 74-GHP3.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...1&postcount=82
Old November 26th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Rosproline157
Matt Oaks
1992 Defender 90

Registry
video

Great video on youtube.

Old November 26th, 2011, 11:35 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosproline157
I think there are five pages of us discussing the Aussie. If the lights
Are good enough for the bushman they are good enough for me. In fact I ordered from Australia after watching this.
Old November 30th, 2014, 07:19 PM
wmatos1001
William
1994 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttoppins View Post
Hi everyone. Thanks to your help I bought and installed replacement bulbs for my dash instruments in my 94 NAS D90. I used the 6 LED Green wedge base bulbs for speedo, fuel and temp. my tachometer used a 9mm bayonet base 4 LED green. They are sooooo much brighter!!! The speedo in particular is extremely bright now but not too much. I also replaced the dome light bulb with a tower bulb. It was expensive but makes a huge difference in cabin lighting at night. Here are the part numbers from superbrightleds.com:

WLED-x6: 6 LED T10 Wedge Base Bulb | $ 3.94 | speedo, fuel, temp
WLED-G6: Green

1156-x18-T: 18HP-LED BA15S Tower Bulb | $ 17.95 | dome light
1156-CW18-T: Cool White

BA9S-x4-x-xV: 4-LED BA9s Bulb | $ 2.98 | tachometer
BA9S-G4-90-12V: Green 90 Degree 12V

www.superbrightleds.com they shipped super fast from st louis.mo. highly recommend them.
Just wanted to say to all thanks for this post. Just today I replaced my 1994 Defender 90 Dash lights with LEDs from www.superbrightleds.com and wow what a difference! This thread helped make it about a 10 minute job no kidding.

Only issue is when I put everything back together and drove it for a bit I noticed I must have pulled the speedometer cable loose a bit because now the speedo doesn't work. But it lights up bright as can be! I will fix that tomorrow hopefully without issue.

For the speedometer (2), temp (1) and fuel (1) I used the: WLED-x6: 6 LED T10 Wedge Base Bulb | $ 3.94 | WLED-G6: Green.

For the tachometer I used (1) BA9S-x4-x-xV: 4-LED BA9s Bulb | $ 2.98 |BA9S-G4-90-12V: Green 90 Degree 12V

The spedo has two bulbs so it is quite bright and the other gauges are at least twice as bright as stock and look really good in the Green LED glow.

Simple as unscrewing the dash screws, pulling the dash out a bit and using your hands to just pull the lights out of their white sockets and insert the new LEDs.

For the tachometer the socket is aluminum or tin and pretty long so it is hard to get your hands back there. I found using a needle nose pliers helped to pull the existing bulb out of the socket.

To anyone thinking of an LED dash upgrade I would say don't waste time thinking about it. The LEDs are quite inexpensive, the install is very easy (maybe 10-15 mins) and the results are fantastic!
Old December 3rd, 2014, 07:00 PM
RoverC
Cliff
1997 D90 ST

Has anyone tried to replace the dimmer switch with one like most cars have that are adjustable?
It would be nice to have another option other than bright and dim
Old December 3rd, 2014, 09:29 PM
javelinadave
-
-

A question for those who have completed this swap. I can now read the speedo at night so that goal has been met.
I purchased these EBay Bulbs and installed them. I have a mix of new VDO Vision and old LR stock gauges. My dash now looks like this:

I still have the green bulb filters in the gauges. Does anybody else have a mixed bag of gauges and pulled out the green filters? I'm wondering what they look like illuminated.
Old December 3rd, 2014, 09:38 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Dave my vdo' all look like yours...as does my speedo. I pulled (read broke) the light housing and green filter in both speedo globes and it still doesn't match with the same bulbs
Old December 3rd, 2014, 09:47 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
A question for those who have completed this swap. I can now read the speedo at night so that goal has been met.
I purchased these EBay Bulbs and installed them. I have a mix of new VDO Vision and old LR stock gauges. My dash now looks like this:

I still have the green bulb filters in the gauges. Does anybody else have a mixed bag of gauges and pulled out the green filters? I'm wondering what they look like illuminated.
So you're saying you DO have the green "sock" on the VDO bulbs behind the gauges? They look white for some reason (could just be the pic).

One thing I'd suggest is to swap in the VDO fuel gauge and ditch the stock fuel gauge...at least that way all the small gauges would match. It's a straight swap for the fuel gauge, no need to change the sender.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old December 3rd, 2014, 09:56 PM
javelinadave
-
-

No socks on the VDO gauge bulbs. I'm debating drilling out the green socks on the speedo and am looking if anybody else has tried this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
One thing I'd suggest is to swap in the VDO fuel gauge and ditch the stock fuel gauge...at least that way all the small gauges would match. It's a straight swap for the fuel gauge, no need to change the sender.
Jason is your VDO fuel gauge all bouncy or is the dampener in the sender?
Old December 3rd, 2014, 10:11 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
No socks on the VDO gauge bulbs. I'm debating drilling out the green socks on the speedo and am looking if anybody else has tried this.

Jason is your VDO fuel gauge all bouncy or is the dampener in the sender?
Your VDO Vision should have come with the bulb socks (one green, one red)...I'd say slap on the green ones and it may blend better (in my opinion...that's what I did).

No my fuel gauge doesn't bounce around at all, I swapped the VDO Fuel into both the NAS90 and ROW130. It's VDO 301-105.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old December 3rd, 2014, 10:15 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Your VDO Vision should have come with the bulb socks (one green, one red)...I'd say slap on the green ones and it may blend better (in my opinion...that's what I did).

No my fuel gauge doesn't bounce around at all, I swapped the VDO Fuel into both the NAS90 and ROW130. It's VDO 301-105.
Ill give it a try, thanks.
Old December 3rd, 2014, 11:53 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:

Hey now...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, dash